Interesting house

Inspected a house on Friday that was a bit of a mystery.

Can you spot what's wrong with this picture? :)

Attachments

• lopsided.jpg
    lopsided.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 299
That's a crooked house!

I posted a picture of this house on the forum last year, here it is again,....

farmdec09001.jpg

Yes, it is lived in. It's in a small village 16 ks from me, my home town. Deep black soil foundations.

See ya's.

wow 'topcropper' that is almost the same as one of my IP's. rented also :D

my tenants loved the location so much they put in the lease that they intend to fix up the house using professionals to make it livable at their cost. so far they have 'painted internally, fixed part of the roof, insulated the roof, heaps of gardening, part new color bond fence and replaced an aircon. they think it's a real bargain and their home.

hmmm maybe i should try and post a photo. i am sure it would make people :eek:

Inspected a house on Friday that was a bit of a mystery.

Can you spot what's wrong with this picture? :)
Nothing that several new100-100 gal posts,and a house jack would fix and a few hard days work ,other then that most of those old hardwood house will outlast us all ..willair..

TC I grew up on a big sheep station so that photo reminds me of that, spent plenty of time playing in some unsafe abandoned houses (of course Mum saying no was never going to be enough to work)

Willair the agent had a quote for 18k to fix the structural issues, the government of course got a quote for 125k I'm told :) Which might be one reason they were offloading the house. Wonderful piece of land on a corner block even if it the house does subside a little!

Last edited:
Is it sinking down in the middle?
It's sinking in a lot of places! Place a marble in the kitchen and it would roll through the whole house. There are special stumps that help with houses on this type of soil, other houses nearby have had similar problems.

Andrew, what are these special stumps of which you speak?

Tools
Tools I don't know what they are called, the property was not of interest so I didn't look any further into the matter. Apparently there are stumps for this type of problem that help to mitigate any possible future movement.

Any stumping people around?

Had a flat in Elwood. Built on very reactive black soil (Elwood is was once a swamp, before it was drained)

The block of units was sinking. Engineers report recomended underpinning using screw piles. ie steele piles with an auger base at the bottom.Bigger the base, the more footprint for support.

screwpile.com.au has illistration

Back