Introduce new law... tenants to pay council rates

Do you not incorporate the rates into the weekly rent?

As a side note - I know of quite a few people who live/have lived in the UK and never paid council tax. It was never followed up on.

No, rents are "at market".

Either way, as someone else suggested earlier, if rates were paid for by tenants, then rents may well adjust accordingly.

Id like to see it happen and begin the move towards more responsibility being taken by tenants in the deal.

Then Dazz would be back in resi...!:p

I am a landlord in Australia, but currently a tenant in the UK. Yes, I have to pay council taxes in the UK as tenant (almost ?2,000 a year!) - in addition to the usual electricity, gas and water (yes, for both water charges and usage). And, I pay council taxes in Australia as a landlord.

So, the question is really whether you are a tenant or a landlord, your views will be different.

This is just a side gripe - in the UK, consumer laws are years behind Australia. It is time for the real estate agents here to be licensed and regulated. And, for tenant's deposit (which is 6 weeks rent, not 4 weeks like in Australia) to be protected by a government agency (not some private companies, or in the agent's account or the landlord's account).

Recently I moved from one rental house to another, and had to go through hell to get my deposit back (after threatening the landlord with a law suit). It should not have been that way, but I was told that it is common in the UK for tenants to "fight" to get their deposit back :confused: There is no ombudsman in the UK to help tenants!

Back