PM paying me tenant's water bill repayment in dribbs and drabs

It appears that my tenant is paying the water useage in dribbs and drabs over a few months, and as such the PM is passing these part payments to me (eg paying $20 this month, $10 next, $14.50 month after etc etc). The charges appear to be fully paid over a few months.
Is this usual with other PMs or do they generally hold the water useage repayments to pass to the LL in one payment?

If you have had water useage (or other additional expenses) paid in dribbs and drabs, have you asked for the PM to hold the payments until all payments are made to pass onto you as one, or accept that this is part of your records reconciliation process??

(I realise this is a minor question compared to other stories shared on the forum! :eek:)

Cheers,

Most tenants pay their water charges in full. I haven't come across it before - is it a warning sign that the tenant is struggling or the pm isn't pushing the issue?
It's more of a PITA to withhold a small amount to get a bigger reimbursement a few months later.

Thanks SNM

PITA?? refresh my failing memory please.

Could be a combination of both tenant and PM. PM hasn't informed me that the tenant has spoken of any issues.

I will have an initial informal conversation with the PM and see if its the latter where they aren't pushing for full payment. The charges are only about $50/3 month payment.

Just wanted to get a take on others' approaches/comments.

Cheers,

If you have had water useage (or other additional expenses) paid in dribbs and drabs, have you asked for the PM to hold the payments until all payments are made to pass onto you as one, or accept that this is part of your records reconciliation process??
I've had a few, from different PM's, especially if the bill is large. Some tenants find it hard to budget for this additional expense. There is a reason some tenants are tenants. If saving to pay the water bill is hard, imagine the huge effort saving a deposit would take.

I even had one, who paid her rent religiously, BTW, where the PM had a talking to her, and it was decided that she would pay an additional $20pw with her rent, in order to cover her water payments, as she could never get her act together to get a lump payment.

Most tenants pay their water charges in full.

Correct! I have tenants from all different walks in life, but the ones that struggle are usually low income earners. I say usually, because that isn't always the case.
at least it's being paid ;)

Exactly! Whatever it takes to get them to pay it, I say.

yes get it paid in full before it escalates. we had 1 recently an ugly situation, despite requests/breaches/prompts by us and the agent, the water arrears, once we got the keys back at the tribunal, were over $800, rent arrears much more, plus expense and time to remediate the property.

nip it in the bud early. 1 email from the agent said it will get sorted at the end of the tenancy. ok if its a simple end of lease not if you have tenants like the ones we had. worst in many years. zero tolerance and use the tribunal and law to protect your interests.

Attachments

• drools.jpg
    drools.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 48
Looks like the water bill money os only dripping in.

Tenant could be in hot water. Maybe they are in over their head?

Thanks, got me thinking.

I like the idea about adding $20 to their monthly bill to pay for the expenses, and I would dare say that a conversation with the PM (who in turn with them) might resolve the issue.

As many have mentioned, could be a warm water situation starting to turn hot..... (I had to put that in as others have.. in this water bill thread :rolleyes:)

Back