Investing in Cars..

Also, "Australian Muscle Car" magazines have gone up in value heaps! I picked up issue 1 to 18 from a neighbour's garage sale for $30 in total. He just wanted to get rid of them (wife was complaining). I put them up on Ebay individually and they sold for about $750 :D Issue #1 alone (rare) sold for $130.

Ozi

Oh my gadfather, I can't get away from these cars!!:eek:My other half and I are continually arguing about them! Anyways, we are both lovers of the old school cars and have two mustangs at the moment. One will be sold shortly though and the other is getting a paint job at present. It's a 1970 Mach 1 fastback - sweet ride.
We once had an XP sedan and at another time an XM ute (my favourite), all original and geez they turned so many heads on the road. Not sure I'd consider them an investment (hence our arguments!!), more like a money pit....although the mach 1 might be a different story, there's not too many of those.

Well here’s my husband’s pride and joy……..way too much holden talk Dunc!

Especially if you are talking real muscle cars!! ;)

3rd_Heathcote_Drags_088-small.jpg

Well here’s my husband’s pride and joy……..way too much holden talk Dunc!

Nice!

Pride and Joy's are so important. Men, too often, sell their Pride and Joy when they get married. "But Darling, its just not practical any more.. come on, its time to give it up, we can pay some money off the mortgage".. and then when finances permit and they reclaim their past they're all too often accused of having a Mid Life Crisis..

I have 5 Pride and Joys :)

They go in and out of favour, I'm currently enjoying this one the most :)

hqmunro.JPG

I've got a future Pride and Joy under construction in my shed at the moment.. that'll be Number 6.. A 1967 J3 Bedford Truck with a 383 (6.3 litres!) Chev Engine and a TH400 Transmission..

enginemounted.JPG

Blokey things are soo cool :)

Cars as investments

I'm a huge fan of 60's and 70's Aussie Muscle Cars.

My current collection consists of

1974 Holden HQ GTS/4 Monaro
1974 Holden HQ GTS/4 Monaro (for parts only)
1969 Holden HT Monaro Coupe
1974 Ford XB V8 Fairmont GS Coupe
1974 Ford XB V8 Fairmont GS Coupe (for parts only)

Only last month I sold one of my beloved cars. It was a 1972 Holden HQ SS. It needed a total restoration (needed $20,000 spent on it).
I got 6.5 times what I paid for it only 3.5 years ago. How's that for a return. :)
The proceeds of that sale enabled me to completely repaint the interior of my PPOR, replace all the carpet and upgrade/replace all the light fittings and window dressings.

I have just had the place revalued last week and it was money well spent. :)

My father spent years telling me to stop wasting my money on cars and now he keeps an eye out for old cars tucked away in sheds etc in case I want to buy them. :)

I also sold my 1975 HJ GTS Monaro a few years ago. This sale provided the deposit for my PPOR and this was after many years of enjoyment from the use of that car.

These cars are a great investment but just like housing you needed to get in before the current boom to reap the real rewards.

I believe that those people spending half to one million dollars for GTHO Falcons are in for a rude shock if they think they are going to make a fortune on them.

For those interested in cars. Here's all mine.

http://gallery.oldholden.com/Munromad

I'm pretty sure Duncan spends some time over at that site too. :)

My current collection consists of

1974 Holden HQ GTS/4 Monaro
1974 Holden HQ GTS/4 Monaro (for parts only)
1969 Holden HT Monaro Coupe
1974 Ford XB V8 Fairmont GS Coupe
1974 Ford XB V8 Fairmont GS Coupe (for parts only)

Nice collection, I saw the photos back when you posted your reno pics and was impressed :)

How on earth do you fit those on a standard house block!? :)

Nomadic, I assume you could do that on my Bonnie but as I didn't REALLY learn to ride a bike when I was young and bullet proof I doubt I'll ever test it.

But I'm getting better. Just maybe. :)

My local is close to a bike dealership and there are regularly nice big bikes parked outside. Not bikers but salesmen. One evening this guy took off from outside, locked the rear and did a sharp U turn at the lights and did a mono back past the pub. Not too shabby! Talking about this to them a few weeks later one said "Was a black bike?" Obviously it was he that did it. Old enough to have the skills, also old enough to know better. :D

cars, cars and more cars.

Hi Duncan,

I have two in the shed, two under the large veranda/carport between the shed and the house, one in the garage under the main roof, one at my girlfriends place plus my daily driver in the driveway out the front.

I can comfortably fit six cars undercover and out of sight of the road plus two out the front in the double driveway.

I was quite annoyed last week when the report from the valuer came back listing my home as a one car property. Apparently only the garage under the main roof of the house was considered as parking. I would have loved to see "8 car" on the report. :)

I am planning building a 4 car garage at the back of my IP when the build is complete next year to store some cars too.

That is the main reason that I held off to find a corner block to build an IP on. This idea was always on my mind.
I would fence it off from the IP and access it from the side road so there is no disturbance to the tenants.

I might chuck the two parts cars in there and rent out the remaining two spaces to people I know who want places to store their cars (long term storage only - no repairs to be conducted on site).

It's another way of earning extra income from an IP and being a member of several car clubs I always come across people with too many cars and not enough room.

Darren

I was lucky enough to get in on the muscle car boom although i never did it to make money. Two years ago i bought a vl group a walkinshaw for $43,000. Everyone laughed at me. That same car is now worth over $100,000.It is now on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HSV-VL-SS-GR...yZ102242QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
I am selling now to reduce my debt on my PPOR. The market may continue to rise but i have been watching it for a few years now and it has definately slowed.I have no doubt my car will be worth $500,000 or more in years to come but with the expected slow down in general over the next few years i believe muscle car prices will suffer.This same scenario happened around 1990. Prices for cars went through the roof then the recession came. Prices for many muscle cars nearly halved in value. I might be wrong but im following that old saying( Never be afraid to take a profit).My plan is to hopefully jump back on the muscle car investing train in the future when there prices look set to move again.But i personaly believe they are nearing there peak.Still a good investment but as there is a limited supply and ever growing demand. My tip. The more original the better and racing history really adds value especially a win at bathurst.

I sold my HQ Monaro a couple of years ago. I got it defected and decided to store it in the shed. However, after a number of poeple offering to buy it, I finally decided to sell it for $5,500. Now, 2 years only, I recon I could have sold it for more than double. I never should have sold it!!!

Back