Investing in Townhouses?

Any of you guys invest in Townhouses?

I find myself attracted to the idea of investing in new, 3BR, modern townhouses as they'd require minimal on-going maintenance and are attractive. They also fit my budget of between $350k - $400k for an IP.

Just wondering what the pro's and con's are of buying Townhouses?

First thing that comes to my mind is the dreaded annual owners/body corp fees, but then again, these fees are tax deductible for Landlords, right?

The other thing is noise from adjoining Townhouses, unless of course the Townhouse is a standalone dwelling with an air-gap between dwellings.

Anything else one should be cautious of?

Thanks!
YoungM

If you're going to go the low maintenance/non-house path the choice boils down to one between villas (often older) and townhouses (often newer).

The villas may be cheaper but townhouses may have depreciation allowances. But villas may have a larger land value component.

Townhouses are ideally suited to the 'lock and go' professional crowd. However villas are more suited to older people who don't like climbing stairs.

Giving our ageing population conveniently located affordable villas may become increasingly under demand. My gut feeling is we're building too many high rise apartments and too many houses on far flung estates for for tomorrow's housing needs. But there may be insufficient villas in handy middle distant suburbs being built.

Any of you guys invest in Townhouses?

Youngm, this is a post that describes my chosen Investment Strategy that involves Villas & Townhouses. It maybe of interest to you as it suits what you are wanting to achieve..

The capital growth averaging (CGA) strategy I employ utilises a regular purchasing cycle similar to what Dollar Cost Averaging is to the sharemarket. The major underlying principle to its success is it relies on your "time in" the market, NOT "timing" the market, and never never sell. So in other words it does not matter whether you buy at the top of a boom or at the bottom, just so long as you purchase good quality, well located property in high density areas ( metro area capital cities), at or below fair market value, on a regular basis.

We've basically been purchasing an IP per year and to date we've built a multi $million property portfolio spread across Australia.

We've been purchasing new or near new property over older style property for several reasons, the main ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ To maximise my Non-Cash deductions
2/ To minimise my maintenance & repair costs
3/ More modern & Attractive to tenants - thereby minimising potential vacancy rates
4/ Ask a higher rent - thereby Maximising yields

Without getting into the "which is better debate, houses or Units??", I prefer to purchase Townhouses & Villas with courtyards of 30% or greater land area thereby eliminating multi story units / high rise apartments with balcony's, for several reasons. The mains ones being (in no particular order) -

1/ lower maintenance & upkeep for the tenant
2/ lower purchase or entry level into a Higher capital growth suburb area
3/ rapidly growing marketplace (starting both now & into the future) wanting these type properties. This is due the largest group of people to ever be born (being the Baby boomers and Empty nesters) starting to come into their retirement years. They will be wanting to downsize for the following main reasons - lifestyle & economic.
4/ greater tax advantages & effectiveness thus maximises cash flow.
5/ able to hold more individual properties spread across your portfolio - thereby minimising area over exposure risks by not holding all your eggs in only a few baskets, so to speak

I look to buy in areas with a historic Cap growth of 7%pa and/or are under gentrification. I look to where the Govt, Commercial, Retail, private sectors are injecting money. This ultimately beautifies the area and people like the looks so move in creating demand.

I have found this works well if you are looking for short to medium term capital growth so as to leverage against and build your portfolio faster.

Getting back to CGA, as the name suggests it averages out the capital growth achieved on individual properties with your portfolio throughout an entire property cycle, taking into account that property doubles in value every 7 - 10 years. Thats 7%pa compounding.

The easiest way to explain what Im meaning by this is to provide a basic example taking into account that all your portfolio cash flow will be serviced via Wages in the acquisition stage, Rental income, the Tax man, an LOC and/or Cashbond structure, and any other forms of income you have available.

For ease of calculation lets say we buy a property for $250k, so in 10 years its now worth $500k. Now lets say we do that each year for the next 7-10 years. Now you can quit the rat race.

So in year 11 ( 10 years since your 1st Ip) you have 250K equity in IP1 you can draw out (up to 80%) Tax free to fund your lifestyle or invest with. In year 12 you do exactly the same but instead of drawing it from IP1 you draw it from IP2. In year 13 you do the same to IP3, in year 14 to IP4, etc etc etc. You systematically go right through your portfolio year by year until you have redrawn from each property up to year 20.

So what do you do after you get year 20 I hear you say ?? hmmm..well thats where it all falls into a deep hole - You have to go get a JOB - nope only joking!

You simply go back to that first IP you purchased as its been 10 years since you drew upon it first time around and its now doubled in value ($1M) yet again - so you complete the entire cycle once again. In fact chances are you never drew each property up 80% lvr max , so not only have you got entire property cycle of growth to spend you still have what you left in it first time round that compounded big time. Now you wealth is compounding faster than you can spend it! What a problem to have

Getting back to what I said in my opening paragraph about it does not matter where you buy within a property cycle just so long as you do buy, This is because you will not be wanting to draw upon it until 10 years later after its achieved a complete cycle of growth.

Well that?s the Basic Big Picture of CGA. Once set up & structured correctly it?s a self perpetuating source of tax free income indexed for life!

For further information please follow the links to these "We've Done it" and "We've Done it Again" threads I started some time back.

If you require any clarifications just ask.

A lot of times I see the price of a new townhouse the same cost as a house with a nice back yard. Me personaly I would never ever want to live in a townhouse. I am very surprised by so many people buying into town houses. I hate the fact you never know who will be living next door. If it is someone loud and who plays the drums all day you are in a bad position.

I am also unsure of the build quality of these new town houses. The one I am in which is 2 years old is terrible. Big cracks starting to appear, plaster joins visible. The kitchen is nasty pretty much everything has a fault that I have looked at. I guess it also comes down to who built it. But then again the better builds will be more expensive and people downsizing only exchange a better property for a newer one which is probably not better.

I guess I am shocked at how bad my townhouse that I am renting is and surprised people buy into it. I think a lot of people are blinded by nice appliances than to be looking at the quality of the build. Obviously there is a market for these town houses.

A lot of times I see the price of a new townhouse the same cost as a house with a nice back yard. Me personaly I would never ever want to live in a townhouse. I am very surprised by so many people buying into town houses. I hate the fact you never know who will be living next door. If it is someone loud and who plays the drums all day you are in a bad position.

I am also unsure of the build quality of these new town houses. The one I am in which is 2 years old is terrible. Big cracks starting to appear, plaster joins visible. The kitchen is nasty pretty much everything has a fault that I have looked at. I guess it also comes down to who built it. But then again the better builds will be more expensive and people downsizing only exchange a better property for a newer one which is probably not better.

I guess I am shocked at how bad my townhouse that I am renting is and surprised people buy into it. I think a lot of people are blinded by nice appliances than to be looking at the quality of the build. Obviously there is a market for these town houses.

I personally like townhouse developments. Some general tips:
1. Location, location, location- make sure that the townhouse has that superior location. This is one the advantages that townhouses have over houses, they are often better located for the same price point.

2. There are some free standing townhouses and these are usually preferred, but may come at a premium.

3. Get townhouses with as much land component as possible, but not sacrificing location/price if you cant afford it.

4. Position is important- preferably north facing, and at the rear of the complex

5. Obviously lower BC fees the better. Get one with no pool, no gym, etc. A good BC will assist with things like noisy neighbours if there are any.

6. More owner occupied in the complex, the better.

If bought well, over the long term, the location and land component [ although usually small] will deliver good returns.

If bought well, over the long term, the location and land component [ although usually small] will deliver good returns.

Most of mine have all doubled/tripled in value over 10 years. Same with rental yields.

The secret to creating massive wealth is to make sure you buy good quality, well located property as fast as you can reasonable afford and then hold for the long term.

Last edited:
Absolutely awesome advice here guys! Thanks so much for tuning in :cool:

I'm currently looking into a fairly modern 3BR Townhouse at the moment which is just minutes away from the local shopping complex and FWY, which will take a prospective tenant just under 30mins to get into the Melbourne CBD! It's also ~6mins drive to the closest train station. Price is approx $360k, which is around the price point I'm looking to spend. Judging from the pics, it's well decked out with a quality kitchen and timber flooring. It already has good tenants paying $1560 pcm too, and they'd like to stay on. Owners Corp fees is ~$276 per quarter, which isn't too bad actually. Surrounding dwellings are single story Units and this Townhouse is at the rear of the driveway/block.

Rick, Cleveland QLD looks like an interesting area to buy-in! Sounds like very good rental yields too :cool:

Townhouses

Generally inner city areas across Australia perform well. With the exception of city apartments which are being over supplied in many cities.

Now these days most people work and many do not have kids or at least until later in life. Now houses in inner city areas are becoming to expensive so townhouses are a great choice for someone who does not want a lot of land but does not want to live in a apartment. The same will go for renters, most would prefer some space and maybe a little outdoor entertaining.

House and land packages are generally to far from most major cities, townhouses offer better growth than apartments or outer area house and land packages.

Townhouse's

Some advice that we picked up years ago and have followed has helped us.

We don't buy townhouses in any complex where there are more than 10.

Why -
Less owners to deal with
In bigger complexes potentially there is always someone having a fire sale which can keep the price of yours down
Fewer tenants so issues like cars and noise are generally kept to a minimum
In smaller complexes there seems to be a higher ratio of owner occupiers which helps to keep the complex in better shape

We also don't like pools in the complex either - Often causes higher B/C Fee's

Cheers Bullfrog

If I had a dollar for every time rixter copied and pasted that, I'd probably go buy a 6 pack of beer.

If I had a dollar for each time the same questions get asked on here by each wave of newbies I wouldnt need to purchase property at all! :p

Back