Investing Seminars (non spruiker type)

I find the Centrelink FIS seminars great for beginners.

They've had some interesting guest speakers in the past too.

The Y-man

I have sent a few of my clients to these community seminars with great feedback. I think it is important for people who are very very new to investing. I think they should do a more detailed unit on picking an advisor. The one which I went to didn’t really give people a list of questions or answers they should want from an advisor (property or fin planer). This is because they don’t want to seem bias or “leading” people to a company.

There are also some good basic investing ones run at TAFE’s and community centres. You can often find them from time to time on local government websites.

I have sent a few of my clients to these community seminars with great feedback. I think it is important for people who are very very new to investing. I think they should do a more detailed unit on picking an advisor. The one which I went to didn’t really give people a list of questions or answers they should want from an advisor (property or fin planer). This is because they don’t want to seem bias or “leading” people to a company.

There are also some good basic investing ones run at TAFE’s and community centres. You can often find them from time to time on local government websites.

Kent,

What do you mean when you say "Advisor" in the case of these seminars ?

What sort of advisor(s) are you talking about ?

Many people take advice or use a service from someone when it comes to any investing. It can be a financial planner giving you investing/cash flow advice, a property company giving you property investment advice, a broker giving you loan advice or the guy from the BBQ.

Spotting scams are one thing, but what about ethics? I see far too many people fall for spruikers that have the main goal of extracting the greatest commission from their victims.

It can be any number of examples:
-The broker who crosses you because it is easier or neglects to inform you that X bank is better because they aren’t paying the highest commission rate.
- The fin planner who is making a motza from suggesting that great “tax saving” investment.
- The accountant who is selling you a trust deed for thousands that is so complicated even Frank Lowey would be impressed.
- The property manager who neglects to do a genuine PCR.

I think basic tools to check up on a company back ground should be taught, these could include:
- Google Searches
- Importance of Online Forums
- Questions you should ask
- Following the money trail
- Letting people into to know reasonable commissions (we see this with Cannex on financial products – then it is up to the bank to sell the value added)
- Their rights on commission disclosure
- The important of getting things in paper
- Numerous other things.

I mean advisor in the general sense of the term.

Back