Investment decisions?

If all you had was the equity in your home (say 50%) and it was worth about $350K in a slowish market (Sydney middle suburbs), and you had a little redraw of around $30K for a rainy day which would be better:

1 - stay put, pay off as much as possible on remaining loan and be happy with that in the hope to own it in a dozen or so years?
2- venture into an IP (max borrowing capacity of $250K) and aim for capital growth to improve yourself in 10yrs or so whilst -ve gearing?

Without a major initial cash amount to spend are there any alternatives apart from extra super payments, putting weekly extras into shares or a savings account, none of which I'm overly keen on? I see (1) or (2) as the only suitable alternatives, but not sure which would come out best in the end. And yes, I will be seeking financial advice, but seeeing as this often costs big $$$ I'm interested in people's opinions or what they've done in a similar situation.

Cheers, investment novice.......

Venture into 'an' IP? Just one? With a bit of equity to start with and some decent planning, you can accumulate a LOT in 10 years.
Alex

I too am a novice to IP. We settled our first one on Tuesday!!

I have checked with my lender and we still have some space left for a second, right now if we find another one so we are defiantly going for option 2.

Will we do it that quick? I'm an Aries, so after we do our Due Diligence, the answer is probably Yes.

Hubbie is on very good money and wants to retire in under 10years... So we had better pull our fingers out and get investing...

Last edited:
I started with a lot less equity than you have, with a PPOR worth half yours, and a gross income of $35k less than 10 years ago..

I'd definitely go option 2 route.

Like has already been mentioned you build a large asset base in a 10 year period.

Back