Investment in gold coast

some of the realestate agents have been telling me that southport and nerang are not good areas to buy in. apparantly you get alot of weird people in southport and nerang.

Yes Fenix sounds a bit weird ;) I think real estate agents are weirder than the residents of Southport and Nerang.

Cheers,

Bazza

some of the realestate agents have been telling me that southport and nerang are not good areas to buy in. apparantly you get alot of weird people in southport and nerang.

There is still a bit of a stigma from some of those that have known Southport for a while. Ten years ago it was not a particularly desirable location but it's a very different place today. Best just to have a drive through and look at the new developments and you'll quickly get an idea of where it's heading.

Nerang is similar to a lesser degree. There are new estates (such as Highland park) and some great places further towards the hinterland. I think the "Nerang-o-tang" tag is probably becoming a bit passe! Having said that, it will never have the location of the suburbs closer to the coast and will probably not see the same gains.

We have a 3 brm 2 bth townhouse in Coomera bought 3 years ago for $188 rent $205, now rents for $275, could go up to $295 next lease.
Have had some turnover in tenants but zero vacancy and bc fees have gone up quite a bit in this time...
Value stayed pretty much the same until just recently - probably valued at $280.

Thanks for the information T & T what do u think about the new development going on in upper coomera diamond hills estate. their selling 4 bedroom townhouses for $390,000.

So many bottlenecks starting to really be a pain:

Smith St - no comment (live close to this one)
Nerang St
Nerang-Broadbeach Rd
Gold Coast Highway

Don't forget Ross St - one of the reasons I think we are going to be moving to Southport very very soon (house not a unit tho) from Carrara (next suburb from Nerang)
Cheers
Stella

If you can't afford really close to the beach then Robina would be my pick. It is the geographical centre of the gold coast and they are trying to develop a Gold Coast CBD there. New Office towers like The Rocket (http://www.realcommercial.com.au/commercial-real-estate/5161623). It's got rail, bus and a major shopping centre and is way closer to the beach than coomera. The commercial development in here is amazing, they are developing specific precincts (like the automall) and the train line is being extended to varsity.

Living & investing here, I believe Palm Beach & Burleigh are go. This is also the same opinion of some analysts ie matusik, midwood, etc. They both have excellent beaches, great water access to fishing reefs & council is doing the areas up.

Palm Beach has expensive beach front in Jefferson Lane & canal front is also expensive. The ripple effect within the suburb is driving rents up & previous lower socioeconomic problems are being fixed through these increasing rents & increased social/police pressure. Upside capital appreciation will kick along when cafe society starts & Pavillions in central Palm Beach should provide this. Also train station will be a huge boost but this is 10 yrs away.

Of course Burleigh has well established eatery's, infrastrucure and this is evident by higher prices. But it is a complete package with the train station for Reedy Creek hopefully within 10 yrs. Budget will determine which suburb to buy in.

As with any investment anywhere in Australia - transport infrastructure is the biggest issue, & this is not a rapid easy fix problem.

Generally I view Burleigh as steady as she goes, consistent growth both capital & rental. Palm Beach is more on the cusp waiting to go up - it has expensive suburbs to the Nth & Sth. But when will it cross that cusp, who knows. With 1000 people heading here a week, and all wanting to get as close to the sandy stuff as possable..........

IMO you can't go too far wrong the Southport area. I've had 12% CG consistently over the past 7 years with my chunk. Yields can be great if you do it right.
E.g. Bought 2 bed 2 bath 3 story walkup August last year 268K. 25k reno inc furnishings. Im now getting $430 p/w....happy days!

There is a huge contingent of international students here and I believe the forecasts are for that to increase by a further 28,000 over the next 3 years.
Target this market and you should be fine.

This may be too much information for this forum but I happened to see a bank statement of my 26yo international student tenant and he had in excess of 300K aud in his savings account, now thats my sort of tenant!

You need to check out the area properly but the activity right now is astounding and I believe it will continue for some for the foreseeable future, imo.

Cheers
Slingshot

Back