Investor Types

Addmittedly this article has been poached from: Sharon Fox-Slater published on RPM on line.

Do you fit the mould?

DIY dinosaur

No job is too big for the DIY dinosaur, who insists on trying to personally perform even the most dangerous and complex repairs, leaving you at risk of legal liability. When it comes to some areas, such as electrical repair, the law is your friend. It may also be helpful to point out that tradies? bills are tax deductible, unlike the owner?s time. DIY dinosaurs can seldom do too much damage in the garden, so you may be able to channel their desire to DIY in that direction.

Fusspot

Moves out of the family home, then expects tenants to lavish similar obsessive care and attention on the house and garden. They often favour topiary and automatic airfresheners. Tenant selection and a very detailed condition report are key to satisfying the fusspot ? who should be actively discouraged from attending inspections. If you can?t find the perfect tenant, it may be worth lowering the rent to attract a wider pool from which to select. The fusspot is emotionally attached to their property ? try to emphasise the dollars and cents aspects of the deal. Fusspots may be best advised to sell their property and invest in one (or more) which is lower maintenance and more suited to rental use.

Penny pincher

These are even less willing to spend money on maintenance than the DIY dinosaur. The penny pincher haggles endlessly over your fees and spends weeks scouring eBay for a second-hand water heater while their tenants endure cold showers. They are highly likely to leave property managers exposed by refusing the ?unnecessary? expense of landlord insurance. Penny pinchers can sometimes be persuaded that spending a little money now will save a lot of expenditure down the track.

In my day

This owner grew up in a one-bedroom hovel, with an outside dunny equipped with sandpaper, so why should their tenant get heating, air conditioning or a dishwasher? If you can?t appeal to their hearts, try talking to their wallets by pointing out the financial returns these home improvements could bring, while tut-tutting at the softness of young folk today.

Delusionist

They believe their property is worth at least as much rent as the ?inferior? one up the road that just happens to have better parking, more space, a nicer garden and twice as many bedrooms. You can use logical comparisons to bring some delusionists back to reality ? but others might require you to list the property at the higher rate, and endure a vacant spell, before being able to see reason.

Control freak

These insist on lots of extra rental agreement clauses governing matters big and small. They are prone to threatening legal action without attempting negotiation. The control freak requires a firm hand and to be reminded that tenants have a legal right to quiet enjoyment of the property.

She?ll be right

These have a touching belief in human nature and iron-clad luck, confident that no tenant of theirs could ever make a mistake causing significant damage. They think landlord insurance ? or any insurance ? is a waste of time. You may be able to get through to 'she?ll be rights' by describing your experience of incidents where tenancies have gone sour, or by pointing out the sort of accidents that can happen to even the nicest of tenants.

My dad is a DIY dinasour, loves to meddle, drives me nuts!

I don't believe I fit any of those moulds. She'll be right perhaps, tho I am a huge advocate for tenant insurance. All insurance in fact.

Ha, I've come across some of these but happy to say I don't fit any of them myself. The closest is perhaps the "she'll be right" one, but like nhg said, insurance is a must.

There should be an autopilot category, I think I'd fit that one :p

For OTV:

Set and Forget: likely to put in place insurances & a competent PM. Gives them enough rope to work with and to get on with the job. When it comes to tenant selection wants a recommendation from the PM, gives the final nod to maintenance requests but knocks back spurious claims. Believes that if there's any issue, the pm will advise after seeking to resolve the situation before it becomes a problem.

Last edited:
"They are highly likely to leave property managers exposed by refusing the ?unnecessary? expense of landlord insurance. "

Naively believes that property managers actually manage the property and execute their duties diligently, thus not leaving them exposed. Typically very tight and resents handing over 10%+ of the rent for little or no purpose. These are the ones that refuse to buy cinema tickets and chocolates for tenants birthdays, making our lives oh so difficult. Expect us to answer the phone after 3pm. More than 1 quote is typical outlandish demand, enough to test anyones nerves of steel!

How about a

I see it but I don't believe it

Buys nice properties in nice areas that need little or no maintenance . Attracts nice tenants who also need little or no maintenance. Owner trusts my judgement in keeping a reliable and cost effective group of tradies , who need little or no maintenance , who can respond to the very occasional repair promptly. They rarely , if ever , disagree with any recommendations I make as I know my job as I've been doing it for over ten years as I work for an property management only agency and I'm not a 19 year old who is only doing the job until they get a chance to move into sales which is where they really want to go and this is the only job they could in the mean time and they really hate dealing with the unreasonable demands of owners and tenants. Owner organizes their own landlord insurance even though they never have to make a claim as they have nice tenants .

Cliff

PS we did have one claim over ten years ago when we bought the worst house in a bad street in Logan with the intention of renovating it later ....

Back