IP Water Usage in Canberra - does tennant pay?

Hi,

I know I am responsible for the water supply charge to the premises. I have just received a water usage bill for my rental property in Canberra. Is the tennant reposible for paying this?

Thanks in advance.

Fizz

Hi,

Currently renting in Canberra but i'm in an apartment with BC so not sure if it applies in your situation but we don't pay for the water. It's part of the BC rates.

Hi,

Currently renting in Canberra but i'm in an apartment with BC so not sure if it applies in your situation but we don't pay for the water. It's part of the BC rates.

If your apartment does not have a separate water meter then your consumption is taken care by the body corporate fees. In Canberra, the tenants usually pay for the water consumption based on specific metered usage unless the rental lease expressedly state otherwise.

Ex-renter from Canberra here. Generally the tenant will only pay if the water consumption exceeds a designated amount, and then they will only pay foor the excess water - I think this is covered by legislation, but could be wrong. I have never had to pay for water usage in the ACT until I purchased my own home. But definitely check your lease or with your PM.

Back