Is a tv aerial standard?

House renting for 730 pw in middle ring Brisbane. Newish build 4 years old.

There is a tv aerial point in the wall but it is faulty. Tenants could get Foxtel if they paid for it but want free to air. Cost to repair unknown. I don't know if it has ever worked.

Is an operating tv aerial to be expected in a property like this?

I'm sure Matty Sav will comment soon, and don't know if an aerial must be supplied in Brissy (I would assume not).

However, if a point is installed at the property as a tenant I would expect it to be in working condition, and I would also assume that because there is a point in the property it would fall under a non-urgent repair and you would need to fix it (again, don't know the legislation).

I have had aerials replaced previously and cost was $200-$300 on single storey properties.

Id say if it wasnt on the entry condition report as a non working item, then the tenant would assume it was in working order - and in that case you would be liable to fix.

pinkboy

Dead on Lil Skater.

You need to repair it. I had this conversation with the RTA about a month ago. If there is no TV point at all, and never has been - you do not need to install one for a tenant. If there is a socket in the wall that doesn't work, (either it's broken or has never worked) - then you need to rectify. If the socket is there, the assumption is that it is in working condition.

I wouldn't rent a property in which I couldn't watch tv - and if someone told me that it was just a dummy, or not working and to deal with it - I'd be annoyed.

Same thing goes with other appliances - like air conditioners, dishwashers etc. One of out clients has been challenged recently by new tenants for not repairing 20 year old air conditioners that haven't worked for years. Even though it was advertised with no air-con, the fact that they were visible in the photos and at the inspection was cause enough to force the owner to replace them.

And just FYI - the RTA have told me before that in new buildings, the owners must supply an operable phone line for safety of the tenants. Most new buildings have the sockets but the builders don't connect them to anything - and the owners have to pay Telstra to come and connect.

Matt

Dead on Lil Skater.

And just FYI - the RTA have told me before that in new buildings, the owners must supply an operable phone line for safety of the tenants. Most new buildings have the sockets but the builders don't connect them to anything - and the owners have to pay Telstra to come and connect.

Matt

And not just new buildings. In Qld the RTA states that the tenant is entitled to one working telephone point in a rented property.
Marg

if the house is that new you may be surprised to learn there is no antenna at all... usually just a point with a cable going up.

Back