Is anyone using Run Property?

I'm building an IP in Deception Bay and have just started the process of selecting a PM.

I've started by contacting a number of PMs using email/online enquiry forms, as I can't spend an entire work day making phone calls to all the PMs in the area.

A number of PMs have not responded at all, a week later.

A couple of PMs have responded with a polite email and standard marketing blurb, which apart from telling me the fees doesn't really tell me much about why I should choose them.

I was quite impressed with the response from Run Property, they sent me a very detailed brochure which spelled out all their processes, what I could expect from them and what they expected from me. The reply was prompt and I also got a follow up phone call.

The idea of having a call centre actually kind of appeals to me (provided phones are answered promptly and the staff are reasonably trained etc). I like the idea that I'm never going to be told PM is on holiday so I'll have to wait till they get back. I also think that if I am not happy with something a PM has done, it is a lot easier to be assertive talking to someone in a call centre than to confront a PM who you know you are going to have to deal with again and again for many years.

So, wondering if anyone has been using Run and can share their experiences?

We use Run in several locations around Mebourne. We were just commenting (touch wood) on how competent they are compared to some of our other PM's....

Cheers,

The Y-man

Run Property

We also use Run Property in Melbourne and have been happy with their service so far..... only 3 months into the first lease but recent inspection was fine :)

Do some home work. Ring them on one of there properties for rent and check the service as a tenant. Find out how many properties they have in the area. Check RE.com for the price range and see if they have their properties at the correct rent for the area.

I have just done the rounds in the same area as you and so far Ray White, Gorden Hay RE, The Professionals and Bay and District seem to be the major players with the better service for both owner and tenant. All are in the Deception Bay area.

I use RUN property (formerly Rental Hotline) in Brisbane for a couple of properties in Brisbane.

They use a very systematic approach, and run like clockwork scheduled payments and inspections, plus have the website for landlords to log into and access info.

I have found them to be very good.

Tim

Run Properties/Rental Hotline had at least 6 for rent signs up on duplex's in the Rothwell area when I was renting mine. I rang most and the rent on each was about the 260pw mark. At the time they were about $30 under rented for the area.

The last I heard they were in some serious financial trouble.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/investors-flee-run-property/2006/04/04/1143916526476.html

Do a search there is plenty of articles.....

Kev
www.gogecko.com.au

You are right Kevin - they were in serious financial trouble - but Elders real Estate bought a substantial number of shares and have backed them up.

They are our opposition in Melbourne and Brisbane, but I must admit after their initial problems when they started up, they seem to have now got their "act into gear" and seemt o be performing better.

They are our opposition in Melbourne and Brisbane, but I must admit after their initial problems when they started up, they seem to have now got their "act into gear" and seemt o be performing better.

Ah, I was going to write that as a tenant, one of my good friends found them completely useless. They were consistently chasing rents already paid (ie: wasting everyone's time) and then took 3 months to return the bond.

But this was 2 years ago now, and maybe things changed.

multi-property

Run didn't cover themselves with glory initially in our case, having forgotten to advertise it at all... anywhere. When I picked up the mistake, they got with the program and we soon found a tenant. For the record, the leasing fee was 2.2% of annual rent (negotiated down from 3.3%) and the management fee 5.5% (negotiated easily on their offer down from their initial quote of 7.7%) as we were owners of more than one property (even though the others aren't with them). I imagine they'd have gone down to 5% if I bothered arguing but we're only tenanting for one year.

We're about to give RUN the flick for our Melb IP. Very slick sign up process, told us everything we wanted to hear, attentive, facts and figures well presented etc.

Then the reality, we were bumped over to a PM who had over 500 other IP's on her books. Never once got straight through when we phoned and then it took days for her to get back to us. Tenant has reported similar frustrations.

I've heard that this is their main "issue". They load their PM's with so many IP's that you're lucky if your property gets a couple of hours a year of attention.

I'm not going to bother trying them, my friend suggested it to me as they have an offer at the moment that you get a free I_Phone if you switch to them. I think she's going ahead with it. It doesn't sound tempting to me, just makes me think, "why"? Ta for replies.

I wouldn't mind getting an IPhone if I go with RUN. I can easily switch to other PM if they fare poorly!

Where can I get info about the Iphone promo? I can't find it on their website...:p

Here's my 2 cents from a tenant's point of view.

I'm currently trying to rent a property off them, the service was horrible. I have heard of bad things about them from around so I decided to google their reputation since a property like that is hard to come across and I found this thread.

I've been eyeing on the apartment for about 2 months, watching the rent drop. Aftering compairing all the rentals on the market I've decided to apply for it. Two weeks later and no words from them. This has never happened to any of the real estates I've dealt with in the past. Others always had the curtesy to let me know if my application had been approved or not. I called the property manager one day and she said the owner was considering my application (not sure if it's true or not) and she'd get back to me the next day and she didn't.

They've had two inspection days after I handed in my application, and yet the place is still on the market. I truely am confused how they manage their properties. It's taking them that long to find a tenant that they have to lower the price yet they are ignoring my application? I've met their 100 points check requirement, financially secure and able to pay deposit and how many ever weeks rent they'd like in advance.

I am so frustrated right now as I can't find a place as perfect as the one they have, I so wish it was under another real estate's management.

Sorry about the venting..

You should be talking to the property manager that is going to look after your property or someone who can take charge of your property if you are not happy or can't get hold of your property manager.

The company can be great, the offer good, the sign up process slick - but when it comes to the crunch, the care of your propert is only as good as your property manager.

Ring up the agencies, ask who the property manager is for your area - then ask them to return your call regarding a new management. See how you go with it. some agencies have specific new management customer service person in place - they are good at telling you how wonderful the company is but the test is how good the actual property manager is.

Good luck with your search. If you want a list of comprehesive questions to ask -

.............I called the property manager one day and she said the owner was considering my application (not sure if it's true or not) and she'd get back to me the next day and she didn't.

They've had two inspection days after I handed in my application, and yet the place is still on the market. I truely am confused how they manage their properties. It's taking them that long to find a tenant that they have to lower the price yet they are ignoring my application? I've met their 100 points check requirement, financially secure and able to pay deposit and how many ever weeks rent they'd like in advance. ..................

It might be that the owner is very fussy and is vetting all applications and turning them down on some sort of criteria. Run property is simply no advicing everybody of the real situation maybe through fear of accusations of discrimination.

As an owner I recently had a property where I turned down many application.

We had substantial numbers of application for a property but I deemed them to be substandard (single female, no substantive income etc) and as such turned them down. Subsequently, the PM kept showing the property. Whether the PM adviced all those who I turned down, I have no idea, but we eventually found what I thought was the most desirable applicant (subsequently tenant).

Cheers

It might be that the owner is very fussy and is vetting all applications and turning them down on some sort of criteria. Run property is simply no advicing everybody of the real situation maybe through fear of accusations of discrimination.

As an owner I recently had a property where I turned down many application.

We had substantial numbers of application for a property but I deemed them to be substandard (single female, no substantive income etc) and as such turned them down. Subsequently, the PM kept showing the property. Whether the PM adviced all those who I turned down, I have no idea, but we eventually found what I thought was the most desirable applicant (subsequently tenant).

Cheers

Thanks for the new info. My friend who was also a PM told me that the PMs are the ones who approve or decline your application but I guess that wasn't compeltely true.

I just wish Run had the curtesy to follow up the applications although I doubt if there was any besides mine. I've been to many open house inspections and this one was the most empty ever. I just thought if the owner was desperate enough to lower the rent then they would of approve any application like many owners do. I was very shocked coz this was my very first application that got declined.

The property was brand new and it's been on the market for 2 months now, and there was still no curtains or blinds. Maybe the owner's ideal tenants are the ones that don't need curtains.

Back