Is Frankston Going to Boom?

Does Frankston provide a good investment opportunity at the moment?

• Yes

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I dont think anyone can accurately predict how Frankston will go. But looking at he past 5 years shows pretty average capital growth.

Has anything changed in Frankston to make people predict a boom is coming? Or is it more a hope that they will catch up with other Melbourne suburbs eventually?

Those one horse towns appear to have performed better than Frankston over the past 5 years.

But that doesn't mean I would rush out to buy in any of these areas.

Why would Frankston expiernce significant growth?

Has anything changed in Frankston to make people predict a boom is coming? Or is it more a hope that they will catch up with other Melbourne suburbs eventually?

Yes actually, why is there a lot of people currently saying that Frankston is going to experience significant growth? Are these statements based on any facts or evidence? People have been saying Frankston is going to boom for years yet is still hasn't happened... so why would it now?

Why don't you just do your own research and then report back to us.
Obviously those who've already bought in believe in the place or they wouldn't be invested there.
It's your money.

Why don't you just do your own research and then report back to us.
Obviously those who've already bought in believe in the place or they wouldn't be invested there.
It's your money.

Because the forum allows you to get opinions and experience that may not be available through conventional research. Most posts reveal information that is beneficial and taps into years of experience, I emphasise 'most'.

TPeople have been saying for 20 years that Frankston is going to boom, however this is yet to happen, why would it boom now?
My SIL bought her house in approx 2002 in "The Poines" (The Pines) for $91k from memory.

Subdiv'ed it and sold the back yard off 2 years ago, can't remember the figure for the block..$100k? maybe?

Then sold the house in front for $245k last year and moved to Bali.

It has boomed....in her street, at least.

Frangers has got such a terrible reputation, and would-be buyers only have to wander around the "shoppin' sennahh", or the "troin stayshun" and cop an eyeful of the high level of humanity that ISN'T there and it's no wonder the place struggles.

The joint is feral and skanky bogan central.

All the well-healed and civilised folk with "teef" in their heads live as far away from the shops as possible and as close to Mt.Eliza as possible (Frangers South).

Living in Frankston

Living in Frankston is not the same as traditional suburbs. Here one see's lots of scary characters who look like they'll rob a person, gangs of roving youths groups of 20 drinking alcohol in public in broad daylight and damaging private property, criminal elements, definitely done time. That's not all. We could give you a litany of criminal incidents over several months. Fortunately the police have done a magnificent job but we are not sure this will continue if there's a change in government. Labor is soft on crime and not interested in improving Frankston for people to live in - community safety as evidenced by what the new Labor candidate has expressed in person. Frankston station is a scary place without the PSOs where even the station staff are too terrified to call the police as graffiti was being done in the toilet. Try catching the 6.24am train, get in the last carriage and you will see huddled in the back corner druggie type characters who have probably done a theft and dropped off their stolen goods to someone and are catching the train back to somewhere else. At least over the last 2 years under the Libs as some longterm residents observed, it's been much better and safer.

Last edited:
Living in Frankston is not the same as traditional suburbs. Here one see's lots of scary characters who look like they'll rob a person, gangs of roving youths groups of 20 drinking alcohol in public in broad daylight and damaging private property, criminal elements, definitely done time. That's not all. We could give you a litany of criminal incidents over several months. Fortunately the police have done a magnificent job but we are not sure this will continue if there's a change in government. Labor is soft on crime and not interested in improving Frankston for people to live in - community safety as evidenced by what the new Labor candidate has expressed in person. I don't believe the Libs have either.

I note that this is your first post. So you signed-up just to tell us this, right?

Just so you know (and it appears you have not bothered to look at the stats) the crime rate in Frankston is below that of inner-city Melb. Fancy that.

First post. Questionable credibility.

Living in Frankston is not the same as traditional suburbs. Here one see's lots of scary characters who look like they'll rob a person, gangs of roving youths groups of 20 drinking alcohol in public in broad daylight and damaging private property, criminal elements, definitely done time. That's not all. We could give you a litany of criminal incidents over several months. Fortunately the police have done a magnificent job but we are not sure this will continue if there's a change in government. Labor is soft on crime and not interested in improving Frankston for people to live in - community safety as evidenced by what the new Labor candidate has expressed in person. Frankston station is a scary place without the PSOs where even the station staff are too terrified to call the police as graffiti was being done in the toilet. Try catching the 6.24am train, get in the last carriage and you will see huddled in the back corner druggie type characters who have probably done a theft and dropped off their stolen goods to someone and are catching the train back to somewhere else. At least over the last 2 years under the Libs as some longterm residents observed, it's been much better and safer.

Good, sounds like St Kilda decades ago.

Just so you know (and it appears you have not bothered to look at the stats) the crime rate in Frankston is below that of inner-city Melb. Fancy that.

First post. Questionable credibility.

Comparing inner-city Melbourne with Frankston won't help your credibility either.

i can verify and confirm what you are saying is true. this was the same in the mid 90s (i studied in mt eliza and often took the train in frankston). You would walk on the street and see some skinhead with a bulldog trying to get eye contact to just get into a fight. A family of three husband wife and young kid which i witness first hand the husband getting beaten up by a youth gang for looking the wrong way.

Seems like some things things hardly change 20 years later.

But ... why are you posting this? This is about property investment, it's not a convenient place to dump some negativity about Frankston.
Seems more like you want to write about your skanky experiences than make a meaningful contribution.
Take it elsewhere if you really have to.

As I understand it, Melbournian is heavily invested in inner-city Melbourne. Must be quite a disappointment that the violent crime rate in inner-city Melb exceeds that of Frankston.

not really - i am not all in inner city. 25-30kms - west, east etc.

as for sharing experiences - certainly as an investor you would want to know the demographics of the area - safety, employment, etc. If it is an unsafe area - how are prices going to keep going up?

why all the defensive mode? certainly nothing wrong to discuss pros and cons about certain suburbs. 4-5 years ago, I primarily invested in apartments and i do understand that apartments are now the worst investment atm for CG but (i can handle the truth)

As I understand it, Melbournian is heavily invested in inner-city Melbourne. Must be quite a disappointment that the violent crime rate in inner-city Melb exceeds that of Frankston.

Come on dude, stop the spruik. Any suburb is going to have a LOWER crime rate than inner city Melbourne.

Have a think about it for about 2 seconds.

Come on dude, stop the spruik. Any suburb is going to have a LOWER crime rate than inner city Melbourne.

Have a think about it for about 2 seconds.

exactly, thats like me saying ive got less money then bill Gates

unfortunately, frankston threards bring out an emotional bunch of posters

I'm hoping to get to Frangers next week - I know it's short notice but if anyone interested in meeting up it'll probably be early in the week. Maybe try out one of the joints that neeko has suggested ...?

I'll be there at the meet up. So if you also like to get in contact with myself or wattle let us know. Would love to meet new people over a coffee and a yarn.

Nick.

Back