Is investing in Doveton sensible?

Decided not to buy the house on Ash street, instead bought another house in much better condition on a 585 sm block for a bargain price of 310k. Potential rent is $280 to $300. 2kms from Dandenong Plaza.

Decided not to buy the house on Ash street, instead bought another house in much better condition on a 585 sm block for a bargain price of 310k. Potential rent is $280 to $300. 2kms from Dandenong Plaza.

You are now the designated forum "area expert" :D I shall refer any questions from posters regarding this area to you ..... :)

Well done.

The Y-man

Hi i'm new here, I have got 2 properties in Doveton. Both on 650+ sqm blocks. I have had good growth over the last 5yrs but haven't seen the area change that much. Hopefully the Gentrification process will speed up with all the major works that are being done in Dandenong. My Houses haven't needed much maintainence being ex Housing Commission. Bullet Proof!

Hi i'm new here, I have got 2 properties in Doveton. Both on 650+ sqm blocks. I have had good growth over the last 5yrs but haven't seen the area change that much. Hopefully the Gentrification process will speed up with all the major works that are being done in Dandenong. My Houses haven't needed much maintainence being ex Housing Commission. Bullet Proof!

Congratulations. What did you pay 5 years ago? What is your yield on your original investment? I guess the houses are just about paying for themselves, right?

At the current highish median price, are houses there cash flow positive?

Hate to dig up a very old thread but I have driven past Doveton a few times this week... Seems to be heaps of subdivisions etc..

Only bad signs I saw was someone outside the takeaway shops drinking what looks like a beer stubbie during the day and some funny foreign guy in the street with a beanie and very old merc trying with all his might to but a mountain bike in the back seat of his car which didnt workout :D

Apart from that the non-housing comission houses actually look nice in a way with old ppl living in them, taking care of their gardens...

Was really wondering if the area still has active bad elements operating there or if it was more of stigma from the past..

I remember going back 20 years, very very bad family relatives that use to live there (my family have disowned them for many years now obviously) and the night life back then was very very interesting in a bad way.. neighbours yelling at each other all night... Wondered if they still do that these days..

One of my friends at work use to live in Doveton back in the mid 90's now living in Wheelers Hill said the area was okay to live in just bad elements from Dandenong travelling through the area causing trouble from time to time..

maybe the area isnt good if you have a business like the poor IGA earlier this year :eek:

http://berwick-leader.whereilive.com.au/news/story/doveton-iga-store-trashed/

haha I think perhaps the smokes and booze pass as local currency there :cool:

I just saw this old thread. Sorry to dig it out. But is there anyone still looking to buy in Doveton? I am recently saw some units in Noble park and some houses in Doveton. Just not sure which one I should go for. Any ideas?:)

i was looking a few years ago, just on the tail end of the boom and I couldn't get the developement numbers to stack up. My problem was the cost of building versus the finished price wouldn't line up with the land value reliased by subdivision.

If the prices have softened as i have seen in the areas i recently purchased in the north i would think its an option again, i am comprehensivly out of money and in no uncertain terms been told we need to buy a PPOR but if i wasn't i would probalby be back out there on saturdays doing the rounds.

I went to Doveton the other day... I went into the local little shop to buy a can of coke...This is what I saw. A bloke is buying beer around 11AM sunday morning.:D. Three kids wandering around outside the shop and asked me for a spare dollar.. Two local girls (look like year 8-9) sitting on the lawn outside the shop. One with top right open that you can see her bra straightaway..:eek:. A black guy walking around the shop, talked to three kids and then moved on.

I am looking to buy to move in for the short run. After seeing the neighborhood, I am thinking maybe I should go for hampton park or narre warran...

Seriously why would you want to move there...

I am a first home buyer...Before I get the 2nd property, I will live in the first one or I will have to rent again.

The reason I was thinking about Doveton is because the price there looks more affordable to me. Still struggling about a unit in Noble Park or house in Hampton park. Sigh. not much options for a limited budget~:(

I am a first home buyer...Before I get the 2nd property, I will live in the first one or I will have to rent again.

The reason I was thinking about Doveton is because the price there looks more affordable to me. Still struggling about a unit in Noble Park or house in Hampton park.

What is your budget? You're probably better off (and safer) to buy somewhere like Lynbrook or Lyndhurst, or even Narre Warren like you suggested.

What is your budget? You're probably better off (and safer) to buy somewhere like Lynbrook or Lyndhurst, or even Narre Warren like you suggested.

My budget is no more than $330K. I am buying on my own so very hard. Not many choices now.

Lyndhurst is getting a bit of expensive now and remembered it is no go place according to someone's suggestion. I can't remember very clearly. Lynbrook is more closed to a big landfill and may get a bit of smelly I reckon.

I recently saw some properties in Boronia and Ferntree Gully. Not many ppl talking about these two suburbs in here. Very nice area I would say, but not easy to find a property under my budget. There are also some nice properties in Hampton park and Narre Warren.

I guess I will just keep on looking. I might buy 2nd Quarter next year if the market gets stable.

:D

How about Endeavour Hills? I have clients who've bought there and you can get something half-decent for a reasonable price.

Yeah. very nice place. I went there several times. Do you think lacking train station will be a problem for CG in the future for Endeavour hills? I have this question for a long time. Just like Dandenong North, both nice places but without train station.:confused:

Back