is it better to pay more

For a good sales agent through one of the bigger agencies when selling? Im finding that the small independants charge roughly 0.5% less on average

I want this place sold in good time. Not to sit on the market.
I have no real experience selling so whats important in terms of choosing an agent you're happy with?

A good local agent who presents well with good advertising presence .

Go to sales in your area and talk to the agents . Say you're looking at buying . If you say you're selling they'll put on the charm offensive.

This way you can check out the competition ( other sales ) get a realistic feel for the market and obviously suss out the agents .

Rates has nothing to do with our choice of agent when selling .

Cliff

I would be using the agent with the best track record in the area I'm selling in, regardless of fees (within reason).

An few thousand in additional fees is a pittance compared to a quick sale for tens of thousands more than you might otherwise have achieved with an inferior agent.

Simple.

Rates has nothing to do with our choice of agent when selling.
Agreed. When I sold last year, cost was not a factor in my selection of an agent. Be careful with the marketing package though. All you need is good photos and a listing on re.com.au and reiwa.com.au. Forget the rest and don't bother with newspaper. A good buyer database is a +. My agent sold to someone on his database.

It's pretty obvious. Look for the agent in the area that is selling the best properties and you'll generally find it's them who have the best campaign.

And if you want to be sneaky and see how they perform, go to an agents open of something similar to your house and see how they react to buyers, negotiations etc.

Some are all hat, no cowboy. You know when you've found a good agent.

^ And have a look at their recent past sales. Assuming you know the area well, you'll be able to see the prices they've achieved for similar stock and gauge their ability.

And their current listings to see how well they're presented from copywriting to photos to mention of key features etc.

And if you want to be sneaky and see how they perform, go to an agents open of something similar to your house and see how they react to buyers, negotiations etc.

Some are all hat, no cowboy. You know when you've found a good agent.

It doesn't take long at a home open to sort out a good agent from a bad agent.

Yeah you guys are right. I watched this place sell in an area I've got my eye on for 535k. I spoke to the agent and he said it was a fantastic price. I wouldn't call it fantastic, maybe good (for the seller). The house was beautiful.

Then I noticed a much worse house down the road sell for 585k a few weeks later. It was a POS. It was sold by the top agent in the state. She certainly worked her magic and earned her commission.

Back