Is it fair to charge me default interest rate?

Hi, everyone:

One of my loan is with a Lender, Interstar, via a broker of Credit Mortgage.

On July this year, this loan is refinanced and is being moved to CBA in order to buy another property. Thus, CBA and my solicitor advise Interstar that the loan is scheduled to be discharged on 4 August 2003.

However, due to the purchasing property is not owned by the vendor straight away, it is from a Will of his mother. So, it is going through High Court and still not pass the title to his name yet. So, the settlement is not done on schdule. It is still on pending until today.

On 13 Nov 2003, I received a letter from Interstar saying a total of $4,142.53 is in arrears since 12 August 2003. And the higher interest rate applied from 14 August 2003 due to "we de-activated your Direct Debit Authority which was confirmed to your appointed agent requesting the discharge". And "It is the responsibility of your appointed agent to request your Direct Debit Authority to be reactivated".

This is very shocking news to me as I have so many loan accounts. I really have no idea about default interest rate being charge, no notice, no statements from Interstar.

I immediately paid off the arrears of A$4,142.53. And request Interstar to refund all default Interest charged based on:
1. Stop debiting loan repayment from my banking account is not from my or my agents' instructions.
2. I am never informed or aware of such default interest charged. No letters, no phone calls and even don't have a loan statement from many months.
3. I am not even informed how much of my default interest charged in the letter.

Today, Insterstar sent me a letter and declined my request based on:
1. The terms and conditions booklet, your loan agreement, and Memorandum of Common Provisions of the Mortgage clearly explain when the default interest will be charged, how the calculations are done and amount of interest charged.
2. A PIN number was issued to you on 2 September 2001 to access your loan accounts on the Internet and ensure that your loan instalments are being maintained.
3. A facsimile was sent to the Commonwealth Bank and to Strategic Alliance Mortgage on 4 August 2003 advising that "On the basis of your discharge request, we have deactivated the Direct Debit drawings. If settlement is not completed by the due date, please advise our office so that we may re-activate teh Direct Debit drawings."

In this issue, I never read through Terms and Conditions. I don't know why they can't give me the figure of default interest charged. As to Internet, I even forget what is the account number until I spent one day to check through some documents.

Could anyone please advise me if it is fair for Interstar to charge me default Interest rate based on their arguments?

If it is not fair, where should I complain to?

Regards

TGP

my advice

Hi,

Sounds like you have had a rough time.

I would forward the letter to your solicitor and/or mortgage broker/ contact at the Commonwealth Bank.

I don't imagine you have any right to complain based on not reading the terms and conditions. That is your responsbility with any loan.

But if they did write a letter to the Commonwealth, maybe you can take it up with the CBA loans people and see if they did make any effort to tell Interstar of the delay in settlement.

I would have imagined that they should have sent some letters. ANZ generally send letters within a week if there is no money in our account to pay our loans back.

If you are not happy with your response back from the CBA or your solicitor, try the banking ombudsman, who will be able to comment on whether it's reasonable that they sent you no notice that your direct debit had stopped, until you'd been charged so much interest.

good luck,

Penny

Re: my advice

Originally posted by pennyk

the banking ombudsman, who will be able to comment on whether it's reasonable that they sent you no notice that your direct debit had stopped, until you'd been charged so much interest.

good luck,

Penny

Thanks Penny, who is the banking ombudsman? How to contact them?

Regards

TGP

I'm not sure how to contact them, but it's a state government "watchdog" for the banking industry. If you check the government section of the phone book, you might find them there.
Penny

Banking Ombudsman Details

web site : Banking Ombudsman

GPO Box 3
MELBOURNE VIC 3001

Telephone : 1300 78 08 08

Fax : (03) 9613 7345

I'm not sure how you will get on if you didnt read the terms etc. Pretty sure they would have most loopholes covered.

Originally posted by abcdiamond
Banking Ombudsman Details

web site : Banking Ombudsman

GPO Box 3
MELBOURNE VIC 3001

Telephone : 1300 78 08 08

Fax : (03) 9613 7345

I'm not sure how you will get on if you didnt read the terms etc. Pretty sure they would have most loopholes covered.
Thanks, ABCD.

The T & C is such thick as a book. Even read it through, I don't know how to prevent this case. My argument is that I am not informed of any default interest charged for months. Is it enough for them to just issue a Internet PIN to me? Why did they stop the debiting loan repayment when the final settlement is not confirmed? I will check if my solicitor or Commonwealth Bank sent any letter to them about the delay of discharge tomorrow.

Anyway, I lodged an online complaint to Ombudsman already to see what they think.

Regards

TGP

G'day TGP,

As I recall, if Interstar are involved, there will also be another entity (Perpetual Trustees?) behind them, and an "Account Manager" in front of them. This Account Manager might be the Strategic Alliance Mortgage that you mentioned - is this right?

If so, I would be going THEM (as your Account Managers) as they are "controlling" your account.

Fortunately, I am now finally done with the star group - and will never go back to them under any circumstances (too many such hassles)

Regards,

At worst if legal avenues bear no fruit, try the Current Affairs approach - shame them into fixing the situation.

Let us know when you're on ACA or TT :)

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Is Interstar/perpetual all that bad?
I have one loan ( stand alone )with them and find it plain sailing. I haven;t tried to discharge the loan yet though.

It seems to me that continually refinancing loans is a a real headache for lenders and borrowers, but I suppose we have to refinance to realise the new equity ? All my refinancing has been done with St George with relation to my portfolio loan/ LOC and they have been fine.
I suppose banks dont mind refinancing if you keep the business with them.

Its something to think about though.

MJK

G'day MJK,

You are right. While nothing is changing, they were no problem to me. It is when "change" is occurring that they prove to be a major headache.

So, when you are ready to quit this loan, allow PLENTY of time (about four times as much as any other lender might need), and keep in touch to ensure things that SHOULD be happening really are !!!

Regards,

TGP

I had a client who had a similar problem with Interstar. I refinanced him to another lender and as soon as the discharge authority was sent to Interstar they stopped the direct debit. Settlement did not take place for another 6 weeks during which time one repayment was missed which the client was unaware off. As such for the last 2 weeks of the loan my client was charged a default interest rate. He tried to complain and was told on numerous occassions that it was being looked into and that they would call him back, which of course they didn't. In the end he gave up. It cost him about $500 in interest from memory.

I have also heard of the same thing happening to other people.

Cheers

Patrick

Back