Is it harder to get finance using equity ?

Hi people.
ls it harder to get finance using equity from another property instead of a cash deposit ?
Do they want bigger numbers or anything if you use equity , like say want you to make up 20% instead of say 10 if it were cash, or ?

Cheers

There's no difference.

Even when LMI is involved - if it's an 80%+ lend with the deposit/costs coming from equity, it's deemed to be the equivalent of genuine savings.

However - having some form of savings will help when it comes to credit scoring with most lenders.

Cheers

Jamie

Equity is better to use than cash if the purpose of the funds is for investment as the interest on borrowed funds is tax deductable.

Better to preserve cash in an offset (linked to a PPOR if you have one, if not an IP) and or use it to pay down non deductable debt if required.

Gee , thanks guys , you've just made my day.

Thanks to Aaron. We were gonna just sell our own place as my other two, just some cheappo investment blocks look like their sold now too. And because l still have CC debts and it's been a really hard few yrs , l just wanted out and to move , start new .
Thing is , our own place would rent out now 600pm CFP if l kept it and just rented it out instead.
Plus it's got 100k equity in it but if l kept it and finished it of over time that'd move upto 2-300k equity , + the 600 CFP , + it's got a separate side 1/2 an ac that l could build into something too.
So , l'm exhausted right now , had enough of stress but , seems stupid to sell it with all that.
l wouldn't get much cash out of it anyway , probably a lot smarter to keep it on the side , use the equity against the new place, soldier on with this one.
Sure wouldn't regret it later on l guess , it's just l so want out right now.

Equity is better to use than cash if the purpose of the funds is for investment as the interest on borrowed funds is tax deductable.

Better to preserve cash in an offset (linked to a PPOR if you have one, if not an IP) and or use it to pay down non deductable debt if required.

So in my case i have my ppor which rented out at the moment if i was to buy an ip would it be better to have my loan for ppor as IO then p&I? Then use equity to buy the ip?

Nick

Good question neeko, don't quite get the IO stuff myself either. Cept it is gonna be cheaper for quick buy sells l guess .

So in my case i have my ppor which rented out at the moment if i was to buy an ip would it be better to have my loan for ppor as IO then p&I? Then use equity to buy the ip?

Nick

Yes. If you convert your new PPOR to an IP in the future then you have preserved the principal loan amount for max tax deductions.

Also you are controlling the cash flow to your advantage by making IO payments saving the difference in your new PPOR offset account to use as you see fit and/or required.

Doesn't serviceability come into it when using equity? eg $50k equity you need to make repayments on. Similar to a credit card limit?

Ok. Then ive put my ppor loan to IO. Now say if i buy another property using my equity and have that as an IP i cant have that as an IO loan???

HIya

I have a different experience

Getting a hold of equity can be tough with some lenders................

Cash out is a dirty word with some, especially where LMI is involved.

Im not saying its insurmountable, im saying its not as simple as its made out to be and needs to be carefully considered, especially in the context of a structured finance approach.

ta
rolf

Ok. Then ive put my ppor loan to IO. Now say if i buy another property using my equity and have that as an IP i cant have that as an IO loan???

You can keep it all IO.

Neeko - I think you should get some professional advice on your current setup. Without sounding rude - you seem a a tad confused so perhaps best to leave this aspect to a professional while you worry about finding properties to buy :)

Cheers

Jamie

Doesn't serviceability come into it when using equity? eg $50k equity you need to make repayments on. Similar to a credit card limit?

Yeah this is one of my things , gonna mean a much bigger mortgage in my new place. That should be made up plus some if the old place is rented out consistently and more again if doing something with the side 1/2 ac making some money out of that to works out.
l'd have a bigger mortgage , plus the old one and to have to look after it too if not though. That'd be hard to carry it with the new bigger mortgage ,
It is in a rural area, what if the old place is vacant for long periods or my 1/2 ac idea doesn't work out . Spose we could always finish it of then sell l guess , plan b :rolleyes:

Cash is always preferred and is king! - but end of the day cahs and equity is the same from the lenders point of view BUT the only reason i say cash is king;

-With equity you need to "BORROW" and apply for a loan for this too be available....sayfor example oyu have reached your max exposure or serviceability with your current lender and wanted to buy a new place with another lender - You would need to refinance which is fine but if LMI is involved then that's where it get expensive.

- Takes time to organize a equity loan VS cash

- Equity depends on banks valuation.

- Equity also depends on banks cash out policy ( presuming oyu need acces too some of the cash beforehand)

^ Way around this is too tap into the equity NOW; and have it as "equity ready" rather then wait till you found your place.

Cash is always preferred and is king! - but end of the day cahs and equity is the same from the lenders point of view BUT the only reason i say cash is king;

-With equity you need to "BORROW" and apply for a loan for this too be available....sayfor example oyu have reached your max exposure or serviceability with your current lender and wanted to buy a new place with another lender - You would need to refinance which is fine but if LMI is involved then that's where it get expensive.

- Takes time to organize a equity loan VS cash

- Equity depends on banks valuation.

- Equity also depends on banks cash out policy ( presuming oyu need acces too some of the cash beforehand)

^ Way around this is too tap into the equity NOW; and have it as "equity ready" rather then wait till you found your place.

This is solid advice, I find it's ALWAYS easier to get money when you don't need it...

Take it when you can, leaves more time looking for that right property then stressing over finance :)

Back