Is it too early for me to Reval? [Clarkson, Perth]

Hi folks,
We bought a place at the beginning of the year using a parental guarantee as security. This is my second time doing this. The first time, after a few years we had the place revalued, paid a little LMI and released the guarantee.

I'm looking to release the guarantee as early as possible, and need a couple of opinions, before I order an upfront valuation.

Firstly, we had our offer accepted in early Feb, went unconditional in early Mar and settled in early May. My understanding is that one of the things a valuer looks at is purchase price and market movement since then. But which date will be significant (or which will they see?), has it been 5 months, 4 months or 2 months?

Secondly, for those that know the Perth market, particularly Clarkson, Mindarie et al, has there been enough movement in the last 5 or 4 months (I'll assume 2 isn't enough) to influence MY valuation.

Thirdly, How strongly will comparative sales affect the Val? The house directly across the street settled this month for at least 10% more than our price. The house is marginally smaller, on a marginally smaller block of land with similar style, age, condition and finishes. Will this give us the boost I hope for?

Our purchase price is $420k, and I reckon I need the valuation to be at least $470k. I'm probably pushing it, TBH, but I have some cash to improve the LVR a bit.

Your thoughts?

this is what I would do. Watch comparable sales nearby. Once they are selling at $470,000 get your valuation then. Make a list of property addresses, with pictures (use realestate.com sold for photos). 4 weeks after they are under offer, call agent to confirm sold price. Give copies of your data with pics to valuer.

this is what I would do. Watch comparable sales nearby. Once they are selling at $470,000 get your valuation then. Make a list of property addresses, with pictures (use realestate.com sold for photos). 4 weeks after they are under offer, call agent to confirm sold price. Give copies of your data with pics to valuer.

But don't valuers go off actual sales, not under offer properties? I thought it would need to be a sale registered at Landgate.

AS i mentioned, the place across the road has already achieved this price (and settled).

I'm sure I could find more in the immediate vicinity which also meet this requirement.

How many comparables would I need? five?

Is this possible with an upfront Val through Valex (which is what my bank, CBA, uses)? I don't see any way to contact the valuer except when they call for access to the property. And they seem to be pretty stiff about providing feedback or answering any questions that don't lead to them getting in the house to have a look around.

But don't valuers go off actual sales, not under offer properties? I thought it would need to be a sale registered at Landgate.
I Thought it was once they went unconditional. A valuer I used was calling the RE agents to confirm selling price.
AS i mentioned, the place across the road has already achieved this price (and settled).

I'm sure I could find more in the immediate vicinity which also meet this requirement.

How many comparables would I need? five?

Is this possible with an upfront Val through Valex (which is what my bank, CBA, uses)? I don't see any way to contact the valuer except when they call for access to the property. And they seem to be pretty stiff about providing feedback or answering any questions that don't lead to them getting in the house to have a look around.
I think you'd need 3 sales.

I believe as of last year it's settled sales.

In my valuation report there was 4 comparisons - better, worse and the same to prove valuation.

I think you'll need to wait a little longer but talk to your broker extraodinaire (Rolf?) and get his advice.

It comes down to the valuation obviously. Valuers will only use property that have actually settled and they're usually required to provide at least 3 properties as comparible sales in their reports.

Providing this info may or may not help your case. On more than one occassion we've provided comparible sales to valuers when ordering the valuation, only to have the valuer ignore the information provided, even when they do give us the desired result.

Lenders also have different rules around how often they'll order valuations. Look to a broker who can order a valuation before submitting an application.

I'm looking to release the guarantee as early as possible, and need a couple of opinions, before I order an upfront valuation.

Is there any reasons why?

If no immediate pressing ones & your circumstances have not changed from when you purchased, I would leave it for at least 12 months from settlement date.

This will allow the dust the settle and provide sufficient evidence of sales for valuation purposes at that time.

Is there any reasons why?

If no immediate pressing ones & your circumstances have not changed from when you purchased, I would leave it for at least 12 months from settlement date.

This will allow the dust the settle and provide sufficient evidence of sales for valuation purposes at that time.

Mostly just to separate my finances from my folks as quickly as possible. It's no burden to anyone, but I wouldn't want unforeseen circumstances to make it one.

Also, my wage is very decent right now but may be lower over the next 12 months. If the bank or the insurer were to raise any eyebrows in the process, I'm sure the higher wage would be in my favour.

Wow at values in Clarkson now Jake. Wish I hadn't sold. I bought in McPherson ave in 2004 for 197k and sold in 2008 for 370k. Granted 2009-2011 3 fifths of stuff all happened, but still.

Wow at values in Clarkson now Jake. Wish I hadn't sold. I bought in McPherson ave in 2004 for 197k and sold in 2008 for 370k. Granted 2009-2011 3 fifths of stuff all happened, but still.

I've just flicked through some recent sales and there are some mediocre houses on mediocre streets going for mid $500K's!

Back