Is it worth salaray packaging in this case?

Hi,

This is probably a silly question....but I'll ask anyway...

I have my income tax greatly reduced using an ITWV due to negative gearing and also have some salary packaging at work.

If I purchase another IP and apply to have my tax lowered again, it will come back at zero % tax withholding.

I also have the possibilty of further salary packaging (by packaging FBT exempt items) but I don't think there would be any advantage would there if my new tax rate is zero % ???

Cheers

I think you have answered your question.

If you have little or no taxable income there is no point salary sacrificing

Bluechip,
Yeah you answered your own question
you can't get any more juice out of that orange...
You must have some big losses though...
Cheers

I don't completely agree with the above. Tax losses carry forward indefinitely, and so can be offset in the future against capital gains.

For example if your taxable income each year is -$10,000, and after 5 years you make a $100,000 capital gain, after the 50% discount it is $50,000, which is then reduced by your $50,000 carried forward loss to nil taxable income.

There is definitely no benefit though, if your taxable income is brought to within 0 - $11,000, as the unused tax free threshold can't be carried forward.

I would certainly salary sacrifice FBT exempt items if they were items I wanted or needed and were going to buy anyway. But if your PAYG variation comes to a very low level, you may need say food, shelter and clothing more than a new laptop.

Back