Is it worth waiting until after the election to sell?

Is it worth waiting until after the September 2013 election to sell?

• Yes (may be positive impact on prices)

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Doesn't matter (no significant difference)

Votes: 22 59.5%
  • No (negative impact on prices possible)

Votes: 9 24.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
General question re selling homes in our Capital cities.

Question - Is worth waiting until after the election to sell, you view?

what difference do you think it'll make, and more importantly, how you can think the election will affect it?

business is in a holding pattern till the election is over and done with - the entire country is at a stand still whilst we wait for Julia to enjoy her last days of all the trimmings office provides her

business is in a holding pattern till the election is over and done with - the entire country is at a stand still whilst we wait for Julia to enjoy her last days of all the trimmings office provides her

I understand that... but how is this related to "selling homes"... what policy/decision can be made that will drastically affect prices?

If you can get the price that you want now why wait?

I can assure you not all businesses are in a holding pattern and many that I work with are buying and selling right now.

I disagree. I see a fair few developers and builders are already starting to increase the number of projects they have from a tickover level to actually doing some meaningful construction/approvals work.

I disagree. I see a fair few developers and builders are already starting to increase the number of projects they have from a tickover level to actually doing some meaningful construction/approvals work.

I was referring to areas outside of development/buiding. there will be a resurgence in economic activity after the election. just like everyone else, i would just pack up and go for a summer holiday in europe and then get back to business when the govt is changed. As a mate said to me on the weekend... he usually reads the budget papers in detail, this one he barely skimmed as it is largely irrelevant

Great post. I’m also waiting ‘till after the election, just for the basic reason that I think people are too distracted by it at the moment. Also another couple rate cuts are on the cards I think.

Definitely depends on the location of the property.

In Canberra prices are tipped to drop - how much not sure.

If I was selling I would be looking to do it now. If I was buying, I would be waiting until the fallout from the election is known.

I've seen some commentators mention that there is likely to be a recession next year especially affecting Western Australia. Stories of possible tumbleweeds blowing across the state as mining investment is pulled back in response to a China slowdown to growth levels of sub 8%. I wonder if the predictions will come true. Certainly the Federal Government infrastructure stimulus spending in response to the GFC is coming to a close and the States are crying poor so may find it difficult to stimulate the economy further.
Barnett has said WA will have to take steps to avoid their budget going into deficit.

I've seen some commentators mention that there is likely to be a recession next year especially affecting Western Australia. Stories of possible tumbleweeds blowing across the state as mining investment is pulled back in response to a China slowdown to growth levels of sub 8%. I wonder if the predictions will come true. Certainly the Federal Government infrastructure stimulus spending in response to the GFC is coming to a close and the States are crying poor so may find it difficult to stimulate the economy further.
Barnett has said WA will have to take steps to avoid their budget going into deficit.

I didn't think these were projections...it's happening as we banter... I thought I read something recently about a budget deficit ;) EVERY state will be undertaking cost cutting, buckle up :eek:

In a "holding pattern" as related to what aspect of the business?
Hiring?
Borrowing?
Expansion?
More stock?
R&D?

If businesses are relying on selling things, and customers aren't buying; how can they do any of the above?

:confused:

Surely it's gunna take a shift in consumer confidence and increased activity from them before the businesses can get off their hands?

Unless the Libs can pull something magical out of the hat to change the staus quo of mindset and expectation, then I can't see anything changing in the near future.

If the mining sector starts to really slow down, and then becomes widely covered in the media (signs are there but it's still reasonably kept quiet to date) then not much is going to change, I believe.

Why do you think that, BT?

Because the market is going off tap!!!!

Mostly fueled by the ridiculous decision to scrap the FHOG for established homes in one go instead of reducing it slowly. Never seen so many first home buyers in the market.

That $7k difference can make up to $90k difference in what a first home buyer can spend, if they spend an extra $60k over market they don't care because if they don't they will have to keep saving and it could be 12 months before they are ready again.

I have spoken to at least 4 people this week who on my advice are rushing their properties onto the market with a June 29th auction date to capitalize on the situation.

By sheer coincidence I was on the table of the state treasurer at a function a couple of weeks ago and he was saying what a great job they had done increasing the grant to $10k for new places and scrapping grant for established properties. I had consumed a few reds by that stage and let him know my thoughts on both decisions very clearly. As scary as it sounds I actually sounded like "Hobo Jo" in some of what I was saying "using First home buyers as cannon folder to bolster construction industry, the economy and in the war on housing affordability, encouraging them to buy and build properties that will be worth less than what they paid on completion in crap poorly infrastructured areas that will have stuff all growth for 10 years and you are bragging about it"!
Then I harped on about cutting the grant in one go, always causing a rush and price inflation, why not stagger it down $1k every 6 months?

Anyway back to the point, if you have a property in Melb you are going to sell get it on the market now!

Cheers

Back