Is landlord heartless?

Exercising their dormant right such as :

- Pretend to be unemployed and work a cashjob and claim Centrelink;
- Use this as evidence that you're unemployed and hence can't afford rent (despite working your cash job)

Great student letter. Must be from the student union (UNION!!!).

I read an article in the hearld sun about a tenant kicking out the tenants because of late rent. The main income earner died. In my opinion the article was suggesting the kids should be able to live in the property for 30 days rent free. Reading the responses to the article many people agreed with this.

I feel sorry for the landlord. The landlord has been portyed at heartless in a major newspaper. I don't think it's fair that the landlord must forgo rent.

The first instinct of any owner or PM would be to work within the available regulations and negotiate extra payments over a period to make up, or if that is not feasible, perhaps some reduced rent for a set period until the family is able to find more affordable accommodation and another tenant is found. The rental regulations were drafted through consultation with affected groups and to claim that the owner is obliged to do different is to challenge those regulations. What individuals might do off their own bat is something else.

There is something suspicious about the newspaper article. Maybe it was a slow news day, or then again perhaps someone is flying a kite by giving a certain spin to the story.

If the income earner died with mortgage and can not make repayment banks would give us lower interest rate? Londloads also have to pay interest, fees and so on and not having income from IP would put them in the same situation. Banks are the heartless one. We see distressed home owners everyday on TV.

If the income earner died with mortgage and can not make repayment banks would give us lower interest rate? Londloads also have to pay interest, fees and so on and not having income from IP would put them in the same situation. Banks are the heartless one. We see distressed home owners everyday on TV.

Everyone already knows that Don, including the tenant whose relative died.

But what is your actual suggestion / solution ?

People do nice things to help other poeople out cause it's the ":right thing to do" all the time.

Wow, someone suggested a landlord ought to act the same - if it was a shopkeeper or soemthing like that, they would have used that example

hardly anything personally offensive to start insulting non landlords over :rolleyes:

Everyone already knows that Don, including the tenant whose relative died.

But what is your actual suggestion / solution ?

People do nice things to help other poeople out cause it's the ":right thing to do" all the time.

Wow, someone suggested a landlord ought to act the same - if it was a shopkeeper or soemthing like that, they would have used that example

hardly anything personally offensive to start insulting non landlords over :rolleyes:

I am not sure if everybody knows about this. People often think landlords are wealthier than tenants. I wander how many of us have IPs outright and enjoying life not working. In fact 2/3 of us own only one IP. Even if you have $5 million portfolio and own only 10% of it, a homeowner who owns $800K worth of PPOR outright is actually wealthier than you. I think many people do not get it and automatically think landlords are better-off. I wonder Hearld Sun actually knows anything about the landlord’s financial situation. I feel that whoever commented in the paper did not know the whole story as it often happens in media.
I agree if we could help others we should do it by all means. But I wonder if the landlord deserved to be judged by the tabloid paper and called heartless. I am afraid I cannot suggest anything eye-opening.

I am not sure if everybody knows about this. People often think landlords are wealthier than tenants. I wander how many of us have IPs outright and enjoying life not working. In fact 2/3 of us own only one IP. Even if you have $5 million portfolio and own only 10% of it, a homeowner who owns $800K worth of PPOR outright is actually wealthier than you. I think many people do not get it and automatically think landlords are better-off. I wonder Hearld Sun actually knows anything about the landlord’s financial situation. I feel that whoever commented in the paper did not know the whole story as it often happens in media.
I agree if we could help others we should do it by all means. But I wonder if the landlord deserved to be judged by the tabloid paper and called heartless. I am afraid I cannot suggest anything eye-opening.

So you're expecting a TABLOID NEWSPAPER which prints bull **** rubbish to be fair ?

We had an elderly tenant die 10 days ago. She was 89 and had been in the hospital for a couple of days. Wasn't a total shock, but up until then, she was relatively active..and still driving.
Her brother has already organised for the removal of her belongings and cleaning of the apartment. Also stated to cash the rent cheque until a new tenant is found.
That is how it is supposed to be. Such a relief.

Back