Is Negative Gearing Allowed On Overseas Properties ?

Hi.

This has probably been covered before but I couldn’t find anything when searching.

My understanding is that interest on funds borrowed in Australia to buy an overseas investment property can only be claimed up to the amount of the foreign net income from the property. And the excess, if any, of the interest can’t be claimed against your Australian income. That is, negative gearing isn’t allowed.

However a friend who is buying overseas (& who will have a net taxable loss) thinks he can claim the loss against his Australian wage.

Anyone know if this is true ?

Thanks

Here is one thread- especially post 15

Note that what I said in this thread, and what I have said previously, is incorrect- my information is several years out of date now.

NIF said:
Hi.

This has probably been covered before but I couldn’t find anything when searching.

My understanding is that interest on funds borrowed in Australia to buy an overseas investment property can only be claimed up to the amount of the foreign net income from the property. And the excess, if any, of the interest can’t be claimed against your Australian income. That is, negative gearing isn’t allowed.

However a friend who is buying overseas (& who will have a net taxable loss) thinks he can claim the loss against his Australian wage.

Anyone know if this is true ?

Thanks

That was the case when I was working overseas in the 80's and early 90's where any losses could be carried over to write off against further foreign income. But I believe that has now changed and as long as the property income is part of your assessable income then you can claim the losses in total, ie against your payee income, thus reducing your tax payable. I am not certain how that stands if you are purchasing via a trust. It may actually be easier if you purchase via a HDT and you have just swapped the money for the income units. Please speak to an accountant/lawyer familier with international tax, this is only my experience from the 80/90's and don't do it now. There was someone else on the board here in the USA purchasing homes in Buffalo I believe I recall. So search the forum and they may be able to give you some better guidance.

regards

Norman

PS here is the link I was talking about Buying in USA

It would appear to me that from July 2001 negative gearing overseas properties is allowed. Before that foreign income losses were quarantined, meaning they couldn't be offset against your domestic income. My sister is a Chartered Acct and I'm waiting for her to triple check this for me.

Glebe said:
It would appear to me that from July 2001 negative gearing overseas properties is allowed. Before that foreign income losses were quarantined, meaning they couldn't be offset against your domestic income. My sister is a Chartered Acct and I'm waiting for her to triple check this for me.
I'd be very interested to hear the result.

Glebe said:

I said the above because of this ATO article:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=544

Summary:

Australian Tax Office said:
Issue
Is the taxpayer entitled to a deduction under section 8-1 of the Income Tax Assessment
Act 1997 (ITAA 1997) for interest expenses incurred from 1 July 2001 in relation to a foreign rental property?
Decision
Yes. The taxpayer is entitled to a deduction under section 8-1 of the ITAA 1997 for interest expenses incurred from 1 July 2001 in relation to a foreign rental property.

So far so good, are there any catches?

Reasons for Decision
Section 8-1 of the ITAA 1997 allows a deduction for all losses or outgoings to the extent to which they are incurred in gaining or producing assessable income except where the outgoings are of a capital, private or domestic nature, or relate to the earning of exempt income.

OK still so far so good.

Paragraph 8-1(2)(d) of the ITAA 1997 provides that a deduction will not be allowed where another provision of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1936 (ITAA 1936) or the ITAA 1997 prevents it.

OK. So what about this ITAA 1936?

Section 79D of the ITAA 1936 provides that where a taxpayer incurs deductions in relation to a class of assessable foreign income, and the amount of those deductions exceeds the amount of foreign assessable income of that class, then the deductions allowed are limited to the amount of income received. Any excess deductions create a foreign loss which is not deductible against income of other classes or from domestic assessable income (ATOID 2002/177). This is referred to as foreign loss quarantining.
Such quarantined foreign losses may be offset against income of the same class in a later income year.

Oh no, that's not good. I don't want to quarantine my foreign loss only to offset it down the track. I want the tax deduction now!

For income years commencing on or after 1 July 2001, debt deductions are no longer subject to foreign loss quarantining. The definition of 'foreign income deduction', to which the foreign loss quarantining provisions apply, now excludes debt deductions to the extent they are not attributable to any overseas permanent establishment of the taxpayer (subsection 160AFD(9) of the ITAA 1936).

That starts to sound better again. Debt deductions aren't subject to quarantining. But what are debt deductions?

'Debt deductions' are, broadly, deductible costs incurred in obtaining and maintaining debt finance (section 820-40 of the ITAA 1997). Examples of debt deductions include interest, amounts in the nature of interest and fees, such as loan establishment fees and draw down fees, in respect of debt.

Good stuff. So foreign mortgage interest and fees etc aren't quarantined. Do you want to wrap this party up Mr ATO?

As debt deductions are no longer included in the definition of 'foreign income deduction' for income years commencing on or after 1 July 2001, the calculation of net foreign income (that is, foreign income less deductions) is no longer reduced by debt deductions to the extent that those debt deductions are not attributable to an overseas permanent establishment of the taxpayer.

The interest expense incurred by the taxpayer after 1 July 2001 is a debt deduction and the full amount is allowable as a deduction under section 8-1 of the ITAA 1997 against total assessable income of the taxpayer.
Date of decision: 6 May 2002

So the full amount is allowable as a deduction against your total assessable income. Good stuff.

I am not an accountant, so I wanted my sister (or anyone else!!) to verify this. She hasn't got in touch with me yet, anyone else?

Glebe.

Glebe,

But note the bit that says:

to the extent that those debt deductions are not attributable to an overseas permanent establishment of the taxpayer
I'm not sure exactly what that means, but it sounds to me like it's saying the property has to be in your own name, not in a foreign trust or company.

But I could well be wrong on that.

GP

GP,

Sorry I didn't see that part but I would agree with your assumption. We'd need clarification though.

Interesting to note that the ATO mentions this first:

Facts
The taxpayer is an Australian resident.
The taxpayer owns an overseas rental property.
The taxpayer borrowed money to fund the purchase of the rental property.
The taxpayer is assessable on the foreign rental income.
The interest expense on the loan exceeds the rental income from the rental property.

Ie The Taxpayer owns an overseas rental property, not the taxpayer owns a trust which owns a rental property, or the taxpayer is a director/shareholder of a company that owns a property...

So this strengthens my belief you are right GP. But I'm not a legal or accounts person. I'm in IT/Telco.

Team, I have an IP in NZ. I had a long conversation with the ATO about 2yrs ago when I first came to Aust. The ATO confirmed that I can only claim the Mort Int & associated bank charges against my Aust income for the IP in NZ, yes it's in mine & my wifes name.
This needs to be converted to AUD using the method as per the ATO foregin EX tables.
You need to be aware that NZ & Aust have diff financial years, eg NZ to 31 Mar, Au to 30 July, so you need to get your NZ bank to work out the Int as per Au fin yr.

Rgs

KI

I think that permanent establishment of the taxpayer OS actually refers to an overseas property which the ATO takes to be either your PPOR or possibly a holiday home (if they think that the debt burden is a tax lurk, not a legit expense).

By the same token, I'd say other expenses (i.e. non financial) are non-debt expenses.

Obviously not authoritative, deem disclaimers included, blah, blah, blah

Hey Gl, the ATO advised that I could only claim the int & bank charges as a deduction against my Au income. I always calc out a full Income & Expenses for both NZ & Au tax offices, however for Au I am only able to claim the mort int as above. And BTW if anybody is interested I saw about 70 pptys available for sale in NZ (lower sth isalnd) between 50K & 100K that would be great rentals, I'm going over early next year to look (and hopefully purchase!) as my mum's bloke has 60 yes 60 properties just like the ones I saw on the net today.
If anybody wants further infi drop me a line, happy to help with +CF ppty in NZ.

KI

;)

Thanks everyone for that information.

Anyone know what the situation is if the overseas property is held in a hybrid trust ?

I found this post through searching for the answer myself and thought I'd pass on the info the Tax Office told me verbally today. Yes, if you take a loan for overseas property, the interest of this investment loan can be offset any rental income you receive.

Again, this was verbal advice so please do your own due diligence yadda yadda....

I found this post through searching for the answer myself and thought I'd pass on the info the Tax Office told me verbally today. Yes, if you take a loan for overseas property, the interest of this investment loan can be offset any rental income you receive.

Again, this was verbal advice so please do your own due diligence yadda yadda....

As of 2008, you get full negative gearing benefits on overseas properties.

Here's a booklet the ATO have written

Back