Is there a way of finding out if a house is a housing commission home?

Hi guys,

I recently bought a house as a PPOR. It's subdivided and I'm in the front original house.

Behind me is a unit. I'd like to know if there is a way of finding out if the house behind me is a housing commission/dhs house.
Tonight there were drunken screams, swearing, sounded like someone got a thumping and a "fire" type of thing perhaps as I saw an amber glow and smelled smoke.....

Not really something I'd like my 2 kids to hear.

I've been here for 2 weeks and its the first time my bogan neighbours have let loose.

I'd really like to know if this is a private rental or houso home. Is the a way of knowing?

Thanks

Last edited:
Id like to hear yes or no.

With all due respect, not all housing commission tenants are, drunken, blue singlet, thong wearing druggies, who have 7 cats, 3 rusted out cars on the front lawn, 3 kids to 4 different fathers (theres confusion over who the real father of number 2 is) who bash the women in the house for not doing the dishes or going to the shops to get a slab of VB or carton of winnie blues

Shaneelastic, of course not all housing commission tenants are feral morons...but these are unfortunately.

They're young, seem to be unemployed, verbally aggressive and possibly physically too. Totally socially disconnected. Have never introduced themselves, one has grunted something once and that's it.

There's a few of them and I don't know who's who or which one lives there.
Tonight's performance certainly gave me a fright as this isn't a houso area or street.

It seems that through the lack of sales/rental history on this property it is likely to be a housing commission house.

It looks like this might become an investment property for me as I'd rather rent than live so close to such people.
I really wish this type of housing went to people who needed it, not just any old unemployed drunken drug addict.

Hi guys,

I recently bought a house as a PPOR. It's subdivided and I'm in the front original house.

Behind me is a unit. I'd like to know if there is a way of finding out if the house behind me is a housing commission/dhs house.
Tonight there were drunken screams, swearing, sounded like someone got a thumping and a "fire" type of thing perhaps as I saw an amber glow and smelled smoke.....

Not really something I'd like my 2 kids to hear.

I've been here for 2 weeks and its the first time my bogan neighbours have let loose.

I'd really like to know if this is a private rental or houso home. Is the a way of knowing?

Thanks

That must have been awful.
I check before buying if neighbouring properties are DoH. Just because the risk is higher that they won't take care of their place as much and some of them are unsavoury.
I hope it's a one off occurrence.

Hoping its a one off occurrence too.

Just wondering, if a house is a DOH/HC home does that mean it always will be? And potentially lowering the prices of houses around it even if it's a good street in a non HC area?

Hoping its a one off occurrence too.

Just wondering, if a house is a DOH/HC home does that mean it always will be? And potentially lowering the prices of houses around it even if it's a good street in a non HC area?

They sometimes sell their stock but mainly they do that to dilute the HC stock in the area. If it's already diluted then they don't tend to.

It would be unusual in WA for them to retain the rear half of a property and sell off the front. On that logic I don't think your rear neighbors are HC.

It would be unusual in WA for them to retain the rear half of a property and sell off the front. On that logic I don't think your rear neighbors are HC.

Not too unusual as they've done exactly that for quite a few houses in Hilton.

Although I think it might have to do with the light heritage listing for the entire suburb and the city of freo opposing demolition in those cases.

I'd like to think that this house is not HC but what makes me think that it is, is that there is no rental/sales record whatsoever.
When I look it up, it's like it doesn't exist.

How do you check WM?

I have contacts who work for the dept. (My wife used to work there and got almost half their current staff thier jobs,) just wondering how someone else would go about checking.

I know if it's a complaints-type situation, you can just call and ask "Is this ******** neighbour one of yours?" but I didn't think there was any sort of reporting available to public otherwise.

How do you check WM?

I have contacts who work for the dept. (My wife used to work there and got almost half their current staff thier jobs,) just wondering how someone else would go about checking.

I know if it's a complaints-type situation, you can just call and ask "Is this ******** neighbour one of yours?" but I didn't think there was any sort of reporting available to public otherwise.

My REA checks for me - looks up the registered owner in umm RPData or one of those dbases.

Ah,
I'm glad I've got the contacts I have. "Hey luke, any houses in this street Doh?" "Yep, x,y & Z. No complaints for x or z, but y is a nightmare..."

Could I be right to assume that a lack of history available on this house might mean it is a HC house?

There's no rental/sales history whatsoever. Every house I looked up prior to buying this one has come up on a search.

Back