Is there a way of finding out if a house is a housing commission home?

It may be owned by the same people for many years so there would be no sales history on it. Otherwise ask a local agent for an RP Data search (offer to pay them a fee if you need to). the owner of the property will show up. DOH tends to have properties in the name of other entities but if you google that name it will confirm if it is a DOH house.

Well I just found out this morning that the unit behind me is transitional housing. So people who are waiting to go into a housing commission house.

She assured me that she is going to put in a request that the next tenants are not to be people with known drug/alcohol or mental health issues....

To say I'm beside myself is an understatement.

Sorry to hear that. Dodgy neightbours are the worst, especially when it's your PPOR. We had a similar problem in our last place, where the house directly accross the road was clearly selling (and possibly manufacturing drugs) and was always having raging parties and scary domestics.

It turns out that the place was sold, reno'd and flipped, so the story has a happy ending (we don't live there anymore, but rent it out now) Hopefully things will improve for you.

Sorry, DD = due diligence.

I'd make sure you put in complaints whenever there is trouble or noise late at night.

I'm just wondering if this should have been brought to my attention by the conveyancer?
Should this have been in the owner's corp certificate? They didn't actually order one, they just relied on the one given to me by the RE agent in the sec 32.

I'm just wondering if this should have been brought to my attention by the conveyancer?

Why? Granted i've only ever bought in WA, but I'm pretty sure they're role is to prepare legal documents and alert you to legal issued and requirements. Their role is not to decide what property you should buy.

It's been mentioned to me that the body corp certificate provided was the very basic free one provided by the agent.
I thought they were meant to purchase one that had more detail in it. If they had, it would have stated that the house is owned by DoH. I then would have pulled out of the contract.

Oh Chloe - I feel for you.

I know I check these things as Due Diligence but I know many people that don't. I do, as I'm making a business decision and I want as much as information as possible. When looking for a PPOR like you were, it's not always something you think of.

This has truly taken the shine off your new PPOR.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice as I'm not familiar with the conveyancing process in Victoria. In WA it would probably fall under the category of 'Buyer Beware' and only the Buyer is responsible.

At least it is transitional housing - means you wont have the same neighbours for years.

There are lots and lots of decent tenants in housing commission. Hopefully these are just a bad lot and will move on quickly.

I realise that tenants can be good and bad anywhere.

This house is run by a homeless service in Melb for people with drug/alcohol/mental health issues who are on the waiting list for a HC home.
The manager of this home actually told me this! Although it was obvious.

This type of accom is always going to be at a higher risk for things that I don't want to be living next door to...in fact on the same block!
So if it was brought to my attention earlier I would have pulled out.

My kids are my priority so if I sound judgemental then so be it!

I feel for you too. I hope that they are not too close to your house. At our last house--in an expensive suburb mind you--we had a brothel on one side and a drug dealer on the other. And I have children. Some of the comings and goings at the brothel were eye-opening to say the least, but at least they were quiet and relatively clean. The drug dealer on the other hand ....

Before the druggies moved in we had the best neighbour ever --- and it was still a housing commission home --a lovely elderly lady. So you can get some good ones. I hope the next one you get is a good one.

Back