Is this a better option?

Hi,

I got a situation where I'm unsure if I should move my loan or stay with it. I'm looking from the view that IR will likely go up than down at the moment so was thinking of fixing. But I have this dilemma if I should move or not out of the loan to a fixed loan.

Got a 350K loan at 7.90% variable. Unfortunately, the lender has fixed loans that is higher - 8.26% cheapest at 2yrs. So I was thinking of going else where for a fixed loan. The problem is the loan isn't more than a year old and the break fee is this deferred admin fee of 1.80% of the original loan (ouch).

Am I better off staying and taking the hit of another IR likely to come or is there a fixed loan that is cheaper than could offset the fee release?

Appreciate any feedback.

Hi Padfoot

Just based on those numbers, it doesn't sound like it'd be worth switching. You'd be forced to pay about $6,000 in "break fees", and (even if you got a fixed rate of around 7.6%, which is about the lowest I can find going around at the moment), you'd only be saving around $1,000 a year compared to your current variable rate.

On another note, trying and "beat the banks" by fixing rates and trying to anticipate future rate changes is tough...I'm a massive fan of fixing, but more for the comfort/insurance factor. I do it almost recognising or accepting that I'll be paying more for it in the long run. For me, it's not a price thing, it's a comfort thing.

Personally, given those numbers, I'd be sticking with the variable rate you've got.

Thanks GZM.

Now I know what it meant by flexibililty and portability of a loan. I guess I have to ride it out. Just makes it harder to get the next IP sooner.

Hiya

interesting question that right now I cover 5 times a day with clients

is fixing for 2 years a risk management tool or a medium tem liability >

fix today at 8. xx and look at 10 % in 2 years time ?

where are we in the current rate cycle ?

ta
rolf

Hi Luke,

1.8% break cost and $350k loan. 1.8% x 350,000 = $6300. Hope that clears it up for you.

Kind Regards,

Cameron Perry
Perry Financial Strategies

Last edited by a moderator:
Back