Issues with Tenants ADSL Internet

Hi Somersoft

My tenant has advised their ADSL2 internet (iiNet) is not working. The tenant has engaged iiNet who believe everything is fine and have told them "to get an electrician".

I remember years back when I moved into a rental and purchased TPG internet, they sent an electrician to ensure the house was fixed. So I'm unsure how to proceed next, is this the ISP's responsibility (iiNet) or is it mine to send an electrician? If it's the latter, do body corp need to get engaged?

For what it's worth, it's a 6 bedroom body corp and internet has not had an issue since ownership (5 years).

EDIT: I should also add iiNet asked him to plug a phone in to perform a test which he couldn't do because he doesn't have a basic home phone. Essentially I'm half expecting something stupid to be wrong such as he has tried to plug the ADSL modem into his microwave and I'd like to avoid the confrontation of asking him to pay this bill if it turns out to be correct.

Thanks

Does the tenant have a phone service? If not, then he won't get ADSL.

If he does, then he needs to plug in a phone to check that he has got a working line.

Ok 1 question: Are you supplying internet as part of your lease? Yes / No?

If yes, then have iinet come out, and test stuff. If they see that something further is needed then arrange that. If its a strata unit then chances are the phone line goes into a shared MDF which is where iinet can check up to. Your own electrician cabler would have to be sent to check beyond that, but I'd allow for the above first, as they won't charge you.

If no, then the onus is on tenant to verify whether they have a phone line or not. If they don't then perhaps Telstra (or chosen carrier) can install one. If they do have a phone line, end of story - completely finished. Next issue please.

Step 1 - get tenant to get ISP tech out to test service to the MDF/boundary.

Step 2 - if OK to boundary pay $120 for a cabler to come out and test/fix

Step 3 - open another bottle of red and dont stress over $120 every decade or two to maintain a phone line

No providing Internet as part of the service. Phone line was working and ADSL Internet was working for the first four weeks. It's only recently broken.

I'm happy to pay and not stressing over the cost especially if it means I keep a happy tenant. I thought I would ask though as it felt like a grey area.

You do not want an electrician for this work. You need a ACMA cabler(communications licence) who may or may not be a sparky as well.

First thing to do would be to make sure the ADSL modem is plugged into an non-filtered phone port and and other devices ie foxtell dialup/phone into a filter.
Check ADSL modem for a sync light. If there is line sync it points at issue with tenants PC.
Check line with a phone, assuming you have a phone service and not naked should have dial tone.

There is not an alarm system in the unit? Otherwise ADSL modem will only work at one specified point if installed correctly.

Personally I would not touch providing internet connection ever. Not only will you have issues with tenants and false callouts if the line ever develops issues and the service goes to crap you will be stuck between a rock and Tenancy board. Telstra/IInet don't have any sort of minimum service provision for internet services so as long as it works. Even then getting a a connection with drop out issues etc resolved can be incredibly hard.

In the past I have had to completely disconnect the house wiring, wire incoming line direct to modem just so owner can get telstra to resolve street issues. Often it would be a month or more before I would get the call to return and reinstate the rest of the house wiring for client.

If they won't complete the troubleshooting with iinet then I wouldn't send out a tech or electrician when it could just be their modem which is not working as expected.

Back