Issues with Tradesmen and Builders

Just curious, as i have read many posts where consumers are not very happy with the trades man or builder they have used-
What are some of the common grievances experienced in relation to dealing with the construction industry?

Maybe if more builders are aware , then they can begin to take steps to rectify, and establish a higher level of professionalism.

So what is you main issue with builders, (List more than 1 if you want)

At the end of the day, it should be up to the person requiring the service to be clear on exactly what they want and to be comfortable that the contractor they have chosen is able to help them achieve it.

I always research what I require and make certain that I attain the services of someone who is reptuable, willing to enter into a written contract, supplies past references and has their insurances up to date.

Problems will always come when there is miscommunication or the you have gone with the lowest quote and exact a premium service.

1:Big problem is customers who think that they are better than the trades person just because they are paying the money.
Do you know I once waited nearly 20 minutes for a customer to finish his coffee before he would talk to me while I was waiting at the door to do a quote.When he finished his coffee I turned / walked and drove away without talking to him.

2:Customers changing their mind thinking that colors are like photo-shop,just delete and start again with no repercussions or extra charges.

i want someone to paint my roof - but do you think i can get anyone!

sure it's double story - sure it's on a ridge so wind is a factor if spraying - but i am understanding, have the cash, need to have it done and are prepared to pay what it costs.

can't even get anyone to quote.

"Near enough is good enough" is the worst problem imho.

Classic example - had gas pipes replaced from street to house. They then reused an old bit of pipe at the gas meter which was too short leaving the meter sitting at a crooked angle.

It's a shame they slacked off like that when that extra 5% of effort would have gotten them a loyal, repeat customer.

What do you feel is a fair rate of pay for a builder or carpenter tools?

Brian
It depends on the job and what the tradie can bring to the table in terms of knowledge,experience,skill, attitude, tools etc. You can get a carpenter that is expensive at $40/hr and you can get one that is cheap at $60/hr

Tools

I have had relatively good experiences with tradespeople, but you get better results by knowing exactly what you want and have the pre-requisites (whatever they may be) done and ready for them and clear timing.

But I what I really hate, is the mess that tradies leave behind eg lunch food wrappers, empty cans of drink and even cigarette butts :eek: My place isn't a tip fellas! :mad:

I can deal with empty cartons of tiles, hardened glue in cartons, even if they are left right beside the rubbish bin, saw dust from cutting timber inside and outer packaging from other delivered goods. Yes, I did leave the bin deliberately right next to where you are working for a reason.

Just curious, as i have read many posts where consumers are not very happy with the trades man or builder they have used-
What are some of the common grievances experienced in relation to dealing with the construction industry?

Maybe if more builders are aware , then they can begin to take steps to rectify, and establish a higher level of professionalism.

The most common complaint from clients about builders is always 'a lack of communication'. Keep your clients informed and you'll have a much better time of things. I'd recommend builders start to automate callups by using software like 'Clickhome' http://www.clickhome.biz/ and set it up to also automate email correspondence to the clients informing them of material delivery dates. You can also set it up to advise clients when the tradesmen are booked in (even add 2-3 days so if delayed the clients don't get upset).

The others may be building standards and this is where the builder should educate the client sufficiently at the start of the project. Builders and tradesmen are expected to comply to the BCA, but some trades are not covered there which is why this reference is great http://www.buildingcommission.com.au/resources/documents/S+T_GUIDE_07.pdf as it shows the standards and tolerances that most builders agree to build to. It also gives a really good guide as to how to inspect and test those tolerances which then removes disputes.

While this is a Victorian publication i often refer it to clients/builders in Perth as it's a great guide.

Hitachi - great post!!!

I know full well what the building industry is like.
I'm a Sparky, and it s###'s me to tears when you are under quoted by some fresh of the boat, who has come in as an Un-licensed in this country at least, has no insurance, no workers comp, and undercuts everyone out there.

Dept of Fair Trading are not doing enough to stamp out these would be, could be's here in NSW.

Unless you are employed in the building industry - you simply cannot understand why things are as they are. Shody workmanship is just the beginning of the problems in the trades, which is why there are so many frustrated home owners out there with problems with their builders. The Government IMHO do not care about it, so long as they still make money from Licensing, Home owners warranty, and Workers Comp, because they get a cut from all of this. It's the honest builders and Tradies that are paying for it all.

I've got out of the industry in a way, I now work as an Electrician installing Cable cars and lifts into residential homes. Money is better and less worries. I still keep my business trading name and do the odd private job, but that is all.

sure it's double story - sure it's on a ridge so wind is a factor if spraying - but i am understanding, have the cash, need to have it done and are prepared to pay what it costs.

Lizzie, I think your problem with not getting anyone interested in painting your roof stems from - it's in the too hard basket.

From what you describe - I would say a full safety barrier and scaffold would need to be erected as well as anchor points for painters to secure safety harnesses. There are rules that must be met by the industry, and it will need to comply to get someone to do the job. It would end up costing you a small fortune.

From the persons side of things who does the work,

People that don't pay and never intended too PAY from the start..

People that change their mind half way through the job ..

No understanding of the cost of materials-labor-risk..

People that know more about the job but can't do it themselves and then want it done for nothing..

The list is endless..willair..

theres plenty of backyarders that will do it cheap...then commence litigation against you when they fall off the roof because all they will use is a spray outfit and a pair of thongs as safety equipment.

is the house high or low? cherry picker is an option depending on the house height and access.

if you havnt had anyone actually come around at least to quote then i find that strange..............

check the yellow pages a bit harder and call the lot of them..you have to have a win sooner or later i would say...wont be cheap if you want it done propertly and legally..

Last edited:
I've said it on this site before one of the biggest issues is lack of communication between the builder and client. The builder knows (should)hows its to be done the owner knows what they want but in many cases the end result falls short simply because it was not communicated effectively from both parties what the end result will be.

This is why I take pains in detailing everything from start to finish and what is expected from the client, of course this is a two way street. My biggest issue is with some trades and it's a lesson learnt from the past is to ask if they have worked on someones home and not just new homes.

If they have worked only on new homes they get advised to leave the place clean and ALL thier rubbish is in bins. They also get advised if I get a ******* off client about mess and I have to go out and clean it up you will be billed for my time.

On the other side I had a job recently where the owner asked for a few extra power points, lights etc no biggie I told sparkie I would drop the wires in for him which I did. While I was not there over a weekend the owner run in a number of other points for computers, more power points etc etc. Its just as well I had told the sparkie you only need a couple of hours to do the extra work.

Sparkie rang me on Monday to abuse me about the amount of extra work it was going to take near a day to do :eek:. The owner was trying a sly one but got caught out, if he had only done one or two it would not have been noticed until I got the bill, and being such a small amount would not be worth chasing up to any big degree.

It will never change there will always be issues with builders, trades and clients pity but a fact.

I just look after my clients as best as I can and thats about all one can do.

Brian

From what you describe - I would say a full safety barrier and scaffold would need to be erected as well as anchor points for painters to secure safety harnesses. There are rules that must be met by the industry, and it will need to comply to get someone to do the job. It would end up costing you a small fortune.

yep, yep and yep ... and already know i'll probably need a cherrypicker as well.

doesn't diminish the fact that the job needs to be done. i've had 2 come for a look (no quote seen since) and 2 others say they'd come but never turned up. i was trying to use word of mouth but now have a list from the yellow pages of painters who advertise that they do roofs

I've said it on this site before one of the biggest issues is lack of communication between the builder and client. Brian

You know what annoys me the most is a tradie creating expectations and NOT delivering.

Tradie knew he had to come back to job and finish, siad he would be there on specific day ( he selected day)...didn't turn up. Last Friday he rocks up to the job at 4.30pm and says he will be there on Monday.

No rain, no phone call etc. No explaination as to why he didn't turn up. He turns up on Saturday and today he left the job at 10am - he did say why he was going.

Now hubby has booked other tradies to come, they turned up today when expected tomorrow....

One tradie who nominated when he would come has thrown the others out - how could he be 5 days late!

Go figure - frustration...

Sheryn

You know what annoys me the most is a tradie creating expectations and NOT delivering.

Tradie knew he had to come back to job and finish, siad he would be there on specific day ( he selected day)...didn't turn up. Last Friday he rocks up to the job at 4.30pm and says he will be there on Monday.

No rain, no phone call etc. No explaination as to why he didn't turn up. He turns up on Saturday and today he left the job at 10am - he did say why he was going.

Now hubby has booked other tradies to come, they turned up today when expected tomorrow....

One tradie who nominated when he would come has thrown the others out - how could he be 5 days late!

Go figure - frustration...

Sheryn

Trademen often treat their builders the same way - which is why building supervisors hate telling clients when things will be done, because they're so often wrong due to the tradies.

In fairness, it's somewhat the nature of building where trademen expect to complete a job on a said day, only to have the scope changed or materials missing etc... which push them out further and delay the next job. Because it's so common and accepted by those in the industry they no longer pick up the phone to say they'll be a day late.

Back