It's official - property beats shares

Aceyducey said:
I'd suggest that if the type of investing you choose is primarily influenced by the level of excitement you get from the act of investing that you may be investing for reasons other than profit.

You might be better off focusing on the goals of the investing & get your kicks elsewhere if necessary.

That isn't to say don't do what you enjoy...just to say make sure you understand WHY you are doing what you enjoy & the realistic outcomes you can expect.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

ROFL acey i dont need analysing from you :) .

To add some clarity to my original post:

I find the share market more exciting because of the constant swings and cycle changes. These constant changes require you to stay more focused on a daily, sometimes minute by minute basis as these changes greatly affect your positions. Nothing to do with Kicks.

As a full time job as a trader the excitement derived from this market keeps me more interested and motivated to succeed (it has to if you want to survive).

To have a full time job that is boring even if i was making good returns is not in my life goals anymore (been there, done that). Property the cycles are slower thus not for me on a FULL TIME basis.

And again what fits in with your personality is best be it shares property or anything

Last edited:
superted said:
ROFL acey i dont need analysing from you :) .
Superted,

When I post on the forum I am always aware that many people reading don't have high levels of experience in investing.

My reply is no attempt at analysing you, frankly I wasn't thinking about you at all.

It's to ensure that new investors think about WHY before they think about HOW they should invest.

IMHO talking about excitement & fun can send the wrong message.

Do what works for you.

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Always interesting to read property Vs shares threads as I generally find property people tend to ignore that leverage is available in shares and that with a little extra thought much higher returns are available. Shares people too, tend to look at property returns without leverage.

A very basic example: if both had 200k, the property person might buy $1,000,000 property, gets 10% for an increase of $100,000.

The shares person could use margin and with 40%-70% leverage. We’ll call it 50%, so we are now trading with 400k to trade with. The trader is typically more aggressive than buy and hold so 30% are than obtainable for the competent trader, for a profit of $120,000.

Ok so I bend the %s, but I think 30% is fair for a trader. The main difference for me is that the $100,000 made from property is tax free, where as the share trader will have to pay tax as well as the fact that property is more of a buy and forget. The trader needs to keep on top of the game at all times.

But for those not convinced with my bending the %s we’ll try the aggressive leverage with equal % returns.

200k buys 2mill property X 10% = 200k profit.

200k buys 57 SPI contracts (this is a leverage tool that basically follows the S&P 200). The 57 SPI contracts effectively gives control of roughly $4mill X 10% = 400k profit.

This doesn’t include the trader actually trading and ignores the fact the trader could go short. But if the trader actually traded it would only be fair to compare with perhaps a property developer.

Personally it isn’t property Vs shares for me its property and shares. Shares are my job, they require more of my attention, the job of my share trading is to fuel my property investments. The tax on shares is offset by any negatively geared properties I hold. Both have strengths and weaknesses, but both can compliment each other in my opinion.

GB

Gameboy,

Your example compares insane leverage on futures contracts, to standard(conservative) leverage on property.
To compare apples with apples, the 50% margin leverage on shares is appropriate.
Mind you comparing direct control over your property with the lack of control over your shares(other than selling or buying), really means that we are trying to compare apples with oranges anyway.

Back