Its seriou when Residex talks down the market.

This is how he was seeing it 4mths ago. Interesting looking at the gurus past predictions and comparing them with the present. I will be going along to see Bill Zheng later this month. Apparently 90% of his material he is presenting will be new!

"The times they are a changing" - Bob Dylan. :)

My analysis of that article, and I choose to have a "glass half full" view. Is the news all bad? let's see:

1. It is an article in a mainstream newspaper, so let's keep that in the forefront of our minds.

2. Housing construction declined and demand for loans fell 23% in the 4 months to the end of May. There still is construction, and there are still home loans being written - just the volume has dropped off. No surprise there with 12 interest rate rises in a row, and now the CBA and St,G have risen theirs again independently of the RBA. Just in my suburb of Dromana there is still PLENTY of construction going on. Lots of old beachouses being pulled down to make way for townhouses. This may cause an over-supply, which will send developers broke as they have to off-load them cheaply, but this is nothing new and is an opportunity for cashed-up buyers who can get finance. The signs are that this won't happen, as our population in the area is still on the increase now that we are within commuter distance to Melb, the Eastlink has opened up adding to appeal, and it's near the beach etc. This is only one small area, but it's not under Mr. Edwards "Sydney-myopic" view.

3. Consumer level is 51%, so there are still approx half the consumers who are still positive. This stat is interesting, because in my opinion anyone who is in the top 10% of wealth (90% are poor) have an abundance mindset. I wonder where they do their surveys; probably at the local Mall where most 10%ers don't hang out. For example; I bet they didn't conduct the survey at the Royal Sydney Golf Club or Yacht Club.

4. Mr. Edwards said "To see an adjustment going on a wholesale basis across the whole of the nation is incredibly unusual''. Another blanket statement, and I'm sure there will be at least a dozen SS forumites who are experiencing growth of some sort in their portfolio right now. This is a hallmark of an experienced investor - to be able to identify markets/properties that outperform the market.

5. Median house price down 1.05% in June. Another broad and sweeping stat that can be skewed by a spike of sales in one particular price range. For example; if the rates are higher, then there will be less really expensive houses being sold - more cheaper/more affordable houses are sold. This drops the median.

6. Some of the more wealthy suburbs are being hit. As we all know, many of these types of houses are purchased by high income professionals, not necessarily financially educated (eg:doctors are renowned for this), and buy expensive houses that take up a large chunk of their income. If they lose their job, or are over-extended and rates rise too far, they are forced to sell, and these price-point homes will have a much smaller pool of buyers, so the result is/can be a stressed sale at a lower price.

7. "We are finding the market is very price-sensitive but, if you can justify the value, buyers will part with their money,'' she said. You can still sell your house if it is good value.

8. Small improvements returning to the market in 2009. So, this means that the market is flat? and will commence growth again in 6 months or so. Hardly a collapse, and again - his view is wide and sweeping. He is assuming that all areas are going backwards. I know of 3 areas where this is not happening.

9. Sydney rents rose 15.29% for the first 6 months of the year. There is no sign of the rental market softening soon, and if I can be broad and sweeping; rents all across Aus are going up nicely.

So, the summary of all this is:

Don't pay attention to broad statements that only focus on one area. The majority of major newspapers will only focus on their little patch, and many have a "Sydney is the centre of the Aussie Universe" mindset, aimed at headlines and the sheeple masses...the 90%. The 10% are out there digging in the dirt to find the diamonds.

In general, housing is flat, with less buyer activity, but well positioned and well priced houses are still selling if you have to sell. Unless you have to; don't sell. For the 90% of homeowners who don't need to offload their property, there is no problem.

A well positioned, good quality and good condition average house in most average suburbs will still sell at a good price, and in many areas there is still some growth, but of course it has slowed down. No surprise there.

The bright side is that if you are about to enter the market, you will be able to buy some cheap housing in some areas, with rent returns remaining strong and continuing to rise in the short term, so cashflow investors (like me) will be rubbing their hands together.

If you are already in the market and have selected properties as described above, your property value will remain steady, and your rent will continue to increase.

Rather than bail out into cash, reduce debt and hold tight, and keep a close eye on the market for some good value properties.

Even if we go into a recession and unemployment rises, there will still be people who need to live somewhere. The buyers will disappear if this happens, and there will be even more pressure on rents.

Make sure you are investing to maximise cashflow when you buy next, and you will be well placed to take advantage of the next growth phase. A double win.

3. Consumer level is 51%, so there are still approx half the consumers who are still positive. This stat is interesting, because in my opinion anyone who is in the top 10% of wealth (90% are poor) have an abundance mindset. I wonder where they do their surveys; probably at the local Mall where most 10%ers don't hang out. For example; I bet they didn't conduct the survey at the Royal Sydney Golf Club or Yacht Club.

The other article on the telegraph was interesting:

Wealthy sell in secret
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24010923-5001021,00.html

This article doesn't prove anything though - just a story.

5. Median house price down 1.05% in June. Another broad and sweeping stat that can be skewed by a spike of sales in one particular price range. For example; if the rates are higher, then there will be less really expensive houses being sold - more cheaper/more affordable houses are sold. This drops the median.
Apparantly this isn't the case with residex data. They adjust somehow for the composition of houses in their sample. I'm not sure how they do it so am skeptical myself - but they say they can do it.

cashflow investors (like me) will be rubbing their hands together.
I know I am!

Even if we go into a recession and unemployment rises, there will still be people who need to live somewhere. The buyers will disappear if this happens, and there will be even more pressure on rents.
Interestingly in parts of the USA, NZ, and now Perth the downturn in house prices / house sales has improved the rental vacancy rate. People give up trying to sell and add it to the rental stock. Makes me wonder who was living in the place they are trying to sell in the first place. It's a puzzle.

Make sure you are investing to maximise cashflow when you buy next, and you will be well placed to take advantage of the next growth phase. A double win.
Completely agree - if you have good cashflow then the next growth phase (if there is such a thing) is just a bonus.

Another day, another doom and gloom MSM article. Why am I not surprised.

For me, this is probably the best time to invest in property over the last 5 years. With record high number of population increase, and record low number of new housing constructions, either the prices are going to boom or that we're all going to be living with our parents.

I know what's more likely.

The cinic in me thinks John Edwards is trying to talk down the market in order to put a floor under it by forcing the RBAs hand on rates.

John Edwards said:
Residex chief executive John Edwards is warning of tough times ahead.

"It looks like we're moving into a one-in-100-year event,'' Mr Edwards said.

"It points to a situation where unless the Government and Reserve Bank take action Australia could move into a recession.

"The only other times this has ever occurred are before we have moved into severe recessions.''
Inflamatory comments like one-in-100-year events unless the RBA acts seem to be clear in their intent to me.

Who knows what will happen. In my opinion, its too late to get out now as fear rules the day and selling now will be at a discount. Your only choice is to stay in and keep putting your rents up to improve your cash flow. By 2011 I anticipate this will be a nasty little hiccup in history that has sorted itself out and prices will be on the rise again, but again, who knows...

Cheers,
Michael.

A lot of anticipation of falling prices across the board, which might come but at the moment all I'm seeing in my target areas that the number of listings is dropping. Hardly indicative of bargains to be found. Maybe in 6 months time.

The cinic in me thinks John Edwards is trying to talk down the market in order to put a floor under it by forcing the RBAs hand on rates.

That would make the most sense as I can't remember Residex ever talking down the market.

However, you have to wonder how much influence does John Edwards really expect to have on the RBA.

Cheers,

A 1.8% fall in 3 months is hardly a crash though. Its what I'd describe as a slight decline. If prices went UP 1.8% in a quarter, I think we'd all be descripbing it as a steady rise, but nothing spectacular.

I believe John Edwards is ex-RBA but could be wrong, but their data does match up addresses from previous sales in their calculations, so if a place sold previously, the the difference in prices is taken more heavily into consideration.

A 1.8% fall in 3 months is hardly a crash though. Its what I'd describe as a slight decline. ...

The "wheeee it is all dying" people will simply point out that when a market of non identical goods changes from increasing to declining (or vice versa) the composition of the data changes.

All in all it sort of makes sense, if there was a significant change in the market then one would assume that different houses were selling.

To work it out for real would be kind of hard and probably take longer than just waiting and seeing I suppose.

Another day, another doom and gloom MSM article. Why am I not surprised.

For me, this is probably the best time to invest in property over the last 5 years. With record high number of population increase, and record low number of new housing constructions, either the prices are going to boom or that we're all going to be living with our parents.

I know what's more likely.

you forget the Gen Y apathetic attitdue in your calculations there...

you forget the Gen Y apathetic attitdue in your calculations there...

The more Gen Y living with their parents, the more pent up demand will be. You can't delay housing purchase until eternity. Sooner or later the twenty-something or the early thirty Gen Y will HAVE to buy as they start families.

Great time to buy between now and 2009. I can't afford to wait until the MSM start pumping out feel good stories. By that time I'll be competing with hundreds of other people at auctions, which I absolutely hated last year in Melbourne.

Looks like we have three choices. Take your pick:

1..Do nothing. Wait and look.

2.. Buy now to avoid competition at a later date but risk the market falling further as there are no signals to indicate an upward trend and some to indicate a further softening of prices. Also, yields are still very low at this time.

3..Buy later when a definite trend upward has established - and higher yield on purchase - but risk competition from other buyers.

edit: I am ignoring the interest rate equation. Probability is rates will be lower in a few years but who knows.

Great time to buy between now and 2009. I can't afford to wait until the MSM start pumping out feel good stories. By that time I'll be competing with hundreds of other people at auctions, which I absolutely hated last year in Melbourne.

Last edited:
I'm assuming - as in about 93 - 99 - that rents will outstrip cap growth in the beginning stages of an upward cycle.

Its usually at the middle to peak stages of a cycle that cap. growth outstrips rent increases and yields begin to fall drastically.

The way rents are going atm i think they will easily outgrow any growth for the next few years.

with prices trending upwards won't yields be lower?

I'm assuming - as in about 93 - 99 - that rents will outstrip cap growth in the beginning stages of an upward cycle.

Its usually at the middle to peak stages of a cycle that cap. growth outstrips rent increases and yields begin to fall drastically.

The way rents are going atm i think they will easily outgrow any growth for the next few years.

yep... So with increased yields there is more market sentiment for investors, and pent up demand for soon to be OO's which pushes on to what you are calling the middle - peak of the next boom, in which we will see some fat in our purchases :D

*rubs hands*

oh yeah...if the last boom repeats...you will make so much money (equity) in the latter stages of the cycle, you will not believe it. I think a lot of property in Australia doubled (and more in some places) in price in 3 years before it stopped. It happened so quick rental yields went through the floor and and still havn't caught up. Instant millionaires everywhere. :)

yep... So with increased yields there is more market sentiment for investors, and pent up demand for soon to be OO's which pushes on to what you are calling the middle - peak of the next boom, in which we will see some fat in our purchases :D

*rubs hands*

Back