Janome overlocker 534D (Qn for sewers)

Janome overlocker 534D (sewing related qn)

Hi sewer

I have seen a Janome overlocker on Gumtree.com.
"Model 534D differential feed electronic controlled, 4 spool"
It is for sale for $150.

I haven't any experience with this type of creature.

Anyone got any experience to share?

I ditched plans for a 2nd hand Singer version. Experienced sewers posted online saying they had trouble threading it.

I want to know if the Janome above is a good one for a hobbyist to buy.

Thank you friends

Last edited:
It looks like a "slightly" more modern version than mine, same positioning of spools etc.

Janome always had a good name when I was in the industry eons ago. My Janome overlocker is older than you wish-ga and still going strong:eek:

My janome overlocker is 20 years old and still going strong. I do know that you will get a much better finish "proffessional" with a 4 thread. I think they are a bit like tv,s worth jack 2nd hand.
cheers
yadreamin

I wasn't sure about the title- whether it referred to people who sewed, or those pipes which drain the loos :)

Ha, ha ..... a bit confusing. The English language and it's durn homonyms.

sewer: "one who sews"
not sewer "hold ya nose"!

Seller tells me he turned it on and it doesn't run smoothly. Because I will have to get it serviced he knocked the price down to $100.

Janome is getting a ringing endorsement from forumites. Thanks! Sounds like once they go and go. The Corolla of the overlocking world.

Ya dreamin' they can go for quite a sum on ebay. Mine is not on ebay but the model can list for up to $250.
*shrug*
If you see one dirt cheap you could make a tidy profit on ebay.

Geoff

I didn't mean to imply you'd been away - just that I haven't seen so many of your jokes & one-liners of late! :D

Cheers
Lynn

Sewers (people who sew) could be named something else but first in best dressed.

We were here first. I reason that people had stitched clothes before toilets were invented. :D

It is only a problem on the page. They are, of course, pronounced differently.

:D

I do a lot of sewing as I make all the costumes for my family, and I used to make for others as well. I don't know what that particular overlocker is like, but my sewing machine is a Janome and it has been going strong for well over 20 years now. I think I have only had it serviced a couple of times in all the time I've had it and it's still in fine working order.

My overlocker is a good workhorse too. It's a Bernina Funlock. Never been serviced and it is about 10 years old. Been worth every cent I spent on the pair of them.

I ditched plans for a 2nd hand Singer version. Experienced sewers posted online saying they had trouble threading it.

Hi wish-ga

Like the others, my 4 spool Janome overlocker is 20+ years old and has never given me any probs. The only time I got into trouble was when I didn't realise each spool needed to be threaded in the right order, from right to left. Was the seller more specific about how the machine doesn't run smoothly? I'd want to be sure that it actually overlocks and that the motor isn't damaged, even if the overlocking is untidy atm and the unit just needs a service rather than a major repair.

Cheers

Back