Japanese Investor

Hello everyone!

My friend who is Japanese asked me about realestate investment in Australia.

My question is if anyone knows or has any information about non-residing, non-citizens and if they can invest in residential realestate in Australia.

Any advice greately appreciated,

Thanks.........Lincoln :(

I am surprised but there does seem to be some restrictions.

Am reading a sort of travelogue book by Jim Rogers and he could not buy in Darwin because he was American. He relates meeting an MP later and telling him about this and the MP said it was BS!!!
He had to ring back later and admit to being in error, the legislation exists.

Thommo

Basically existing residential housing (not holiday locations) is tough to buy. Otherwise, new housing, commerical, holiday locations, new appartments etc are all OK.

(Does he want a new unit in Melbourne's patterson's lakes area?)

Anyway if I was Japanese I would be buying as much as I can in Japan, yeilds are huge, there has be negative growth for years....I will be focusing on Japan this year for my IP's. Excellent possibilites in purchasing court auction housing if you have some cash. Watched a TV show about a guy who purchased a block of 4 units in Sapporo after repairs (total cost AUD$55K) yeild was 40% !!!! :D

Interesting point always_learning, I will run it past him.....and consider those facts too.

How about some more sushi?

Cheers, and thanks for all yah answers,

Lincoln

Do you have any information on investing in Japan Always _learning? I always thought that non residents were not able to purchase property in Japan.

Any information you have, links to sites, recommendations etc would be mostly appreciated. Any depressed investment market is always worth taking a look.

No problems to purchase RE in Japan for foriengers, no legal problems. If you have cash you can buy. If you are non-resident wanting investment finance...well life gets more difficult.

An interesting article from J@pan Inc Magazine

The Measure of One's Worth: Real Estate
Japan has always been heavily populated and short of land. Only about 28 percent of Japan's land mass is inhabitable, so it's no surprise that one of Japan's most precious commodities today is real estate

by John Dodd
IT COMES AS SOMEWHAT of a surprise that such a precious resource could devalue so drastically in just 12 years. From a peak in 1990, property prices in Japan have plummeted over 60 percent on average, and have dropped almost 80 percent in Tokyo. Given these precipitous declines, we wondered if real estate prices in Japan have hit bottom and whether it is once again safe to think of investing in a Real Estate investment trust (REIT) or an office -- or even to buy a house.

Stabilization
Experts in the Japanese real estate market agree that the rapid rate of decline in land values is flattening out. Koji Takeda of Yamate Homes, a local real estate agent, tells us, "The price of real estate has dropped every year for 13 years due to the recession and delayed disposal of Non Performing Loans (NPLs) held by major banks. Now that land prices are at a 20-year low, investment yields from real estate leasing have become quite attractive, even compared to yields from other cities around the world."

In fact, according to the Tokyo Government, nationwide commercial land prices were down 7.4 percent over last year and residential land was down 4.8 percent, so it depends where you are looking before one can say that the price drops are over. In Tokyo at least, the decline seems to be easing. Residential pricing was down just 1.8 percent and commercial properties down 3.1 percent.

TP Publishing's Steve Mansfield confirms the bottoming out: "The market appears to be bouncing along the bottom. There may be further dips but these will most likely be short lived, also there is little to suggest there will be significant price appreciation of Japanese real estate over the next few years."

Specialty values
While the bottoming out may be true for real estate in general, there is still scope to improve property investment returns by applying some thought to investment. For example, the apartment conversion business in Tokyo is undergoing a renaissance. Space Design's Haruka Yamaji tells us: "There are some real estate investors who are doing well, such as those providing serviced apartments, and those involved in apartment conversions [from office space to apartments] and refurbishment. We expect that the demand for such value-added properties will peak in a few years' time. But right now demand remains ahead of supply."

One company that knows all about serviced offices is Servcorp, a leading serviced office company with operations in 11 countries. Servcorp is bullish on Japan and already has nine building locations at present, with another two -- one in Tokyo and one in Osaka -- opening up in the next few months. Servcorp's General Manager, Susie Martin, says: "We are experiencing increased demand from foreign companies entering the Japanese market and expect that external demand for Japanese real estate will increase."

The typical profile for a Servcorp client is a small advance group that comes to Japan to develop its business and finds within two years that it has grown to 10 to 15 people -- at which point it starts to think about branching out on its own. This prompts an expanding demand for office space.

You can read the full article here

I have come to the conculsion that Japan specifically Tokyo real estate is ideal for investment:
a) Low interest 2%
b) High yeilds, you can get 8% or more for houses, 15% for small appartment blocks
c) Low price in comparison to other first world cities. I noted a victorian house in Newtown in Sydney going for 700K on 100m2 of land! For that money you can get a house near to walking distance from Nihonbashi (center of Tokyo, and center of Japan for 500 years = in Shogun times all roads lead to Nihonbashi) for this price, and Tokyo has 20Mplus people living in the metropolitian area ( on land size only a bit bigger than Melbourne's sprawl)

Negatives is of course finance, in australia IP investors are almost begged to take finance, in japan even for japanese you have a tough time getting finance.

Tip: I spoke with a developer involved in Shopping Center and Hotel developments...prices are on the rise :), some smart money is moving into Japan now for commerical realestate.

Always_learning

Can you suggest any resources for the Japanese market? i.e real estate portals, articles etc.

Interesting times....

Does anyone else feel it's ironic to see swarms of Australian investors & developers descend on the Japanese marker to purchase cheap property.

I can just see what the Japanese press will be saying 'Australians threaten to buy all of Japan'

:D

Cheers,

Aceyducey

Hi all,

Always_L,

I've read elsewhere on the net that buildings have a short life span in Japan. For example if the building is over 10 years old it is considered old and less rentable. Is there any truth in this?? Does the maintenance/renovation/rebuild eat into the potential profit of 2% loan 8% yield???

Thanks in advance.

bye

Yes, in Japan depreciation schedules run about 25years (against 40 in OZ) and other plant at higher rates.

In Japan construction companies and politicians are linked together in an unbreakable union. So there are high tax advantages to buying new buildings or reconstruction.

Basically the entire bedrock substrate moves over time, so after 20 to 40 years most houses etc get cracks. Japanese also dont have a culture of keeping houses for long periods. Newly weds also like to buy a new appartment not a used appartment (and the above construction companies and tax system are happy to market that to its full extent).

PEI I'm at odds with the article you posted.

"The experts are seeing a turnaround" ... yet in the same story quoted 2 to 5 % declines last year ?? These experts wouldn't have any vested interest in getting a potential buyer confident would they now ? Just wondering.

From my very limited knowledge of the market here the lows have firther to go ... nationawide the decline in value is STILL 5% p.a. There are a few pockets of Tokyo that are showing some minor correction, but it's truly minor and are only a very small no of areas.

That being said I'm very interested in Always Learnings recent findings re price comparison and yields. I'd like to hear more from AL on this topic.

Back