Jenman

Just a quick question,

How did this topic move from ACA interview to Agent bashing and then sledging of each other. Surely if you want to do this, send private e-mails to each other.

There is really nothing of value contained in this petty debate.

Kevin, every time someone has a go at an agent on this forum, it seems you can't help but bight back. Why waste your time and everyone elses by replying.

Everyone has their own opinions of agents, good, bad or otherwise and I don't think anyone on this forum is going to change those opinions.

Move forward please

BUNDY

Sorry Bundy, but you obviously missed the facts.

I did ignore it and so did everyone else, that was the issue, however the point was made that we were avoiding it for a reason and questions were asked. I then answered those questions.

If the full version of events is placed back on the forum you will then see why my response was as it was.

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Hi

I thought I may be able to ignore the slander and attacks upon those of us in the Real Estate Industry, but I am drawn into the brawl, what an idiot I am.

Let me address just a small part. Auctions.

Like Jenman, I mostly don’t like auctions as an agent or a vendor but I am quite pleased to be able to attend an auction as a potential buyer for myself. I do my homework, decide the value to me as an investor, bid if it is within my calculated parameters and pull out when my limit is reached. Caveat Emptor.

There has been an inordinately large amount of criticism of late about the practice of “dummy bidding” and forcing the price up etc., and the suggestion that Real Estate Agents are breaking the law. This is not so.

Yes. There is to be some change in the law in some states because of “buyers” complaining about not being able to buy at the price they are prepared to pay. But what of the vendors? They are usually satisfied with the end result. The pollies are making noises about the practice and have promised changes. They may lose the vendors vote and apparently see they gain the votes of potential buyers. Pollies win. Government departments all say that to police future auctions under these new conditions is going to be a nightmare and near impossible.

But today it is still lawful. The auctioneer, by law, must state clearly the conditions of sale. The auctioneer must state if the vendor intends to bid.

As we seem to be speaking more about Queensland than elsewhere, let me quote the Qld Government auction conditions (clause 7) printed in advance of all sales and controlled by the Property Agents and Motor Dealers Act.

For Real Estate
“7. The Vendor reserves the right to bid in person or by his auctioneer as often as he shall think fit and may withdraw the property at any time during the sale.”

For Motor Vehicles
“7. The vendor shall have the right to bid, either by the auctioneer or by the vendor's agent, for any lot offered.”

These auctioneers are employed by the Qld Government to sell Property, Motor Vehicles, as well as Custom seizures, lost property, deceased estates, Art and Antique, stolen goods not reclaimed, and any other public property of which they need to be rid. I don’t hear any complaints from these quarters.

Regards

Ross

Hi

As we seem once again to be debating the virtues or otherwise of Mr Jenman, can anyone advise me of his qualifications and experience in Real Estate. I don't know.

I have been told, and I have not confirmed this, that he in fact has neither completed any course in Real Estate, nor held a license in Real Estate in any state of Australia, nor is trained as an educator.

He just states that he knows it all, etc., etc..

Regards

Ross

ps I'm a brain surgeon currently employed as a NASA rocket scientist.

R

There was a story on A Current Affair, which is in the Google cache;

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...m.au/factsheets/348.as+licence&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Brian: Neil, have you ever held a NSW estate agent's licence? What, if any, real estate qualifications do you have?

Neil Jenman: I have no formal real estate qualifications at all. I do not have to be a qualified doctor to know when I feel sick. What many qualified agents are doing to consumers is making them very financially and emotionally sick.
However, he has worked in Real estate, I'm not sure in what capacity- http://www.jenman.com.au/AboutNeil.php

Originally posted by brains

I know these practices are considered normal and happen everywhere and if one more RE office tells me that all sales staff are not available and can they have my contact details, im going round there with an AK47. :D

Here's something that gets me through to a salesperson directly in 90% of cases.

When ringing up on a newspaper ad, don't tell the receptionist this, instead use the line......" I am calling to get some further details on a particular property, can you assist me or do I have to speak to somebody else?"

At this point you will usually get the response..."I'm sorry but there is no sales staff available at the moment, can I have somebody call you back as soon as they are free?"

To which I reply......" Uh OK......(then pause a second or 2)....Look there was another agents board on the property, should I ring them instead as your people are all too busy?"

Usually you will be told to hang on a minute and you'll be speaking to a salesman within seconds.

Has and is still working for me.......

by the way, if the salesmen pushes you for details about this supposed other agents board, just tell them that you had it confused with another property you saw.

Sorry I'm not going to get involved with the agent bashing debate, I have much better things to do with my time, but I do feel sad for those of you that don't.

**Kevin** Have sent the baseball bat to you by express parcel post, please remove any blood stains before sending it back

regards

Thats a good idea Jack, but im not real big on lying to get what i want. Cause then im doing the same thing i dislike about a lot of agents.

Hi

I agree with brains. It doesn't matter what business endeavour you are involved in, you want honesty, so you must be prepared to offer it first and give it in return.

If I am told no sales personnel available and am required to leave name, number etc., I simply say I'll wait as I only have a few minutes of time. This is true, I don't want to waste my time.

If I am still asked for a name and phone number I say I will leave them with the sales representative, which I do openly and clearly. Take control of the conversation, politely but firmly.

OK so why do Agencies go on with this palaver. The answer is simple. Potential purchasers frequently ring and pretend to be someone else, hide their identities, or get their mate to ring and pose as a buyer to run the property down, offer to buy at a price way below common sense to trick the vendor into believing that the property is worth much less than it is really worth.

The purchaser thinks this is a clever buying technique but in reality, it is fraud. As brains says, if you engage in this practice you are no better than some agents.

Regards

Ross

I always thought that it is the basic sales tactic of getting the enquirers contact details on record, so as not to lose contact with a prospective purchaser.

Hi Brains,

Very close, but it is more about having contact with a potential seller. Buyers are a very good source for listings.

Personally however, it is just as much about protecting the owners security also. Also by speaking with them we can talk about the attributes to the property, which I am sure any seller would expect us to do at any given opportunity.

I am like you though, I find it very frustrating whenever I ring to buy something, not just real estate, and no-one is available and I don't get a return call.

2 things to remember though. Firstly, at least in Qld, the receptionist, unless licenced, can not give you the property details under the Act. They are the most undervalued member of most businesses so we should never take our frustrations out on them. .

Secondly, most offices have a roster system for the sales people,
Those that are not on roster are usually at appointments. If the roster salesperson is already on a call, attending to walk in enquiry etc etc then what else can you do but take your number and get back to you. I would be pleased if you called my office 10 times and let me know the result. Saturdays I find is the worst day in real estate for finding someone available.

Have a good day guys.

Thanx Jakk, I'm looking forward to receiving today's mail.:D

Kev

www.nundahrealestate.com.au

Hi

Having the contact details is important but a sales person can get these details just as readily as the receptionist, using the trechnique as a conversation piece and a barrier breaker whilst getting down to business.

An agency who introduces the client to a property can under the right conditions claim part of or all of the commission. Having the clients name on the books as someone who rang the office will not suffice as a means of claiming the client as their own.

I believe that there are many "salespersons" who think that they have to have the upper hand at all times to manouvre the client into a position where to say no is impossible. So they believe that having the client details gives them an edge. This type of sales person is one that usually lacks confidence in themselves or their ability.

If the product satisfies the client needs, is properly presented, questions are satisfactorily answered and it is priced correctly, the sales person doesn't need tricks and clever techniques.

Regards

Ross

What happens in our office is that when a call is received it is put straight through to a sales person, usually a name is asked for, just as a courtesy, but not a phone number.

If there is no sales person there (which happens some times at the moment, as we are understaffed), the caller is asked if they would like to leave a name.

If the receptionist knows any details about the property she gives them out willingly. (She is licensed).

If the receptionist doesn't know the details, and there are no sales people available, then the caller is invited to leave a number.

What do we do with the numbers, I hear you asking?

Well... we sell them to marketing people... NAH! Trickedya!!

We destroy them after we have called back, UNLESS we ask whether we may retain the number, if we feel there is some way we might be able to assist further, and only IF the caller agrees, then we keep the number.

We are far too busy helping people who WANT us to call them, to call people who don't want to hear from us!

asy :D

G'Day Asy,

not that I was doubting what you wrote buy as soon as I read your post I rang your office to see if your staff were doing what you have obviously told them to.

No surprise, as you wrote, pretty much spot on. You weren't in but I was asked if I would like to leave a message and phone number. I declined and said I would call back.

Phone was answered by a chap called Wayne, very polite, good phone manner, not pushy but one criticism, I had to ask for his name, he didn't identify himself.

anyway, keep up the good work.

regards

Originally posted by Jakk
Phone was answered by a chap called Wayne, very polite, good phone manner, not pushy but one criticism, I had to ask for his name, he didn't identify himself.

HAHAHA!!!

Quality Control Jakk!!!

Thanks!!!

I asked Wayne if he remembered the call, and he did.

Wayne is our Sales manager, but, due to our staff shortage, and the fact that Emma and I had to go to the stationary shop, he was left wearing the skirt (manning reception).

Poor Guy had 3 calls at once! He remembered your call, and says to say HI!

hehe

asy :D

http://www.reinsw.com.au/dir111/rei...2c5ad5e4c84d1b80ca256a7f0001c9c8?OpenDocument

How To Win More Listings With Vendor Paid Advertising

Tutor: Mark Flynn
Agents who can point out to vendors the benefits of paying for advertising have an edge on the competition.

A highlight of this exciting workshop is Mark Flynn's 10 'golden rules' of vendor paid advertising.

Why you should attend:
Find out how vendors accept vendor paid advertising
Secure more quality listings
Gain a higher profile for yourself, your listings and your business
Sell more real estate … making you and your business more profitable!

What you will learn:
The 10 golden rules of vendor paid advertising
How to give your sellers a choice
The benefits of vendor paid advertising for your vendors and your office
Overcoming objections
Increasing your profile
Your listing kit

Date: 21st January, 2003
Time: 9.30 am - 4.30 pm
Module code: RS10

Jas

Back