Job situation - Decision point

Hi all,
I'm in IT and have a interesting situation.

Two projects are line up for me;

1. Short term - may be 10 months. This will be a big project with lot of people. Lot of work (which is good). But, after 10 months, may be put on the bench (and potentially get the kick :eek:)

2. Long Term - 3 years. However, it's at it's early days and only has few clients. So, there is a chance it might not last 3 years :(.

I'm in good books with both mangers running the projects. Has anyone been in this kind a situation?

Now, where's that thread about live off rent so that I don't have to think about these things :D.

Thanks for the replies.

I was mainly after if people have been through similar situations and what their thought processes were (i.e. Devank).

Whats your normal downtime between contracts? If its short, take the 10 monther. If its long then take the 3 year gig

Take the 10 monther and work hard. You'll likely make better contacts and have more opportunity to show what you're made of. Remember, career progresssion has nothing to do with being awesome at your job, and everything to do with outperforming your peers.

I've been in IT consulting continuously for 15 years now.

Take the 10 monther and work hard. You'll likely make better contacts and have more opportunity to show what you're made of. Remember, career progresssion has nothing to do with being awesome at your job, and everything to do with outperforming your peers.

I've been in IT consulting continuously for 15 years now.

Thanks VYBerlinaV8. Totally agree with making contacts. I think I'm leaning towards the 10 month project.

Back