Jumpering internet from MDF to flat - tenant or LL responsibility?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows whose responsibility it is (tenant or landlord) to establish and maintain the cabling connection between an apartment block's MDF and your individual flat that requires the service?

We are currently renting in an older small block of flats and our internet suddenly stopped working. Our internet provider has done their checks and confirm that they are providing service from their main exchange to the apartment's MDF with no issues. We now need a cabler to 'jumper' the service from the MDF to the flat.

Upon initially moving into the flat, the PM arranged for a cabler to set up this original internet connection between the MDF to the flat at the LL's expense.

Now we need this cabler to come out again as it appears the connection has stopped working and the PM has advised this is something we as tenants will have to pay for. This is odd to us however, as internal wiring and function of the internet/phone socket it the flat should be provided by the LL right?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Little Learner :)

If the PM arranged the connection (presumably as part of the lease) and the landlord paid for it, then this would be their responsibility. Even if it is not in the lease, the fact that the landlord provided it may work in your favour.

Depending on how long ago the connection was done, it may be covered by warranty.

It may pay you to phone the relevant department relating to tenancy matters in your state to clarify.
Marg

If it was there and working when you moved in - then the landlord is responsible (mutter mutter as a landlord) ... which is why I don't have any electrical appliances asides from the hot water and stove in most of my rentals

Landlord or Bodycorporate

Generally, any cabling internally of your house is responsibility of the landlord or home owner. Should a phone cabling issue be located from the MDF (located on body corporate land) to your dwelling, this is the responsibility of the body corporate.

See, you could actually ask the Body corporate to pay for a new phone line installation from your MDF, however when you weigh up by the time your body corporate decides to have a meeting or agrees to pay for it. I'd say most people calculate time vs cost. If you can wait 2 months to have your MDF jumper or phone line installed then go for it. But for most of us that can't live a day in our lives without the internet would most likely front the repair/installation costs ourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think this is the landlords responsibility. They have to provide at least one working socket

Actually they don't, not as a part of legislation anyhow.

But in this circumstance as the line was provided and working, landlord responsibility.

Back