Just curious..how does API find their case study/profile investors?

I subscribe to API and enjoy reading it each month but I always wondered how they find the people they profile? Particularily with articles like Young Guns/More than $x in equity - I can't think of how they would go about finding real life examples.

Can anyone shed any light?

Hi there
I think you will find that their people check forums like this and then contact those posters to see if they will appear in the API magazine.
I note that we did appear in one issue under assumed names from an approach about something posted on this site.
thanks

Definitely lurking around the forums.

I was approached previously on another forum a couple of times but would prefer my privacy. One was a referral from another member who was approached also.

They do their home work and try to check peoples credentials out first so if you do get contacted don't be surprised if they know things about you that you wouldn't expect them to know.

I got approached from a magazine via another site also. They were doing a story about landscaping and had seen a photo of one of my properties. I had to decline as I got sick of the high maintenance of the gardens and had dug all the plants and roses out of the gardens. Now it's just grass.

Hi Angelissa

I saw this post by Karin http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38302 and as a result a story about the Children and their investing was published in the June, 2008 edition of Smart Investor Magazine.

We really enjoyed the interviews with Karin and all the relatives in England were uber impressed with the article and the lovely picture as I took copies of the magazine over with me in May to share around.

Karin decided to reserve our story for a separate article (rather than the article on renovating) as she considered it quite unusual for a whole family - parents and children - to be involved in property investing particularly as all the children had bought their own properties from a very young age.

Truth, as they say, is stranger than fiction and 'real life' stories are often amazing as they can be just about ordinary people doing extra-ordinary things!

Cheers
Kristine

I've been approached via a pm to be interviewed but also decided I like my privacy.

It's one thing to share you experiences with a small select group of people ( mostly anonymous ) . Another thing to appear before a potentially larger audience.

Cliff

Matt from API often asks members of this forum to appear in API
Matt approached me following a thread I wrote after renovating a property in Cairns and I appeared in API last year. It is all done very professionally and quite painlessly :D Chris

Yep, Matt has approached me (twice so far) also. Appeared in API Mags in the rental boom article & the bathroom reno one.
Matt was very professional, recorded our telephone conversation (with permission), wrote the article and e-mailed it to me with the option of making changes prior to publication (which I did). All very painless and I'm reminded of someone's statement, "There's no such thing as bad publicity" :)

We are an amazing group!!! We could be the Almost Famous Group. I am not sure there would be too many other groups that have so many people appearing in magazines and on tv!!!

I feel very honoured to know such energetic and interesting people :D

Chris

We were in API early last year after responding to a thread on here that discussed buying in different locations. We didn't disclose how many IPs we had as we felt uncomfortable with others IRL knowing all our business.

Ah, thanks everyone - looks like I picked the right place to ask the question!

I often think it would be cool to be in a magazine but my husband disagrees.

Back