Just one Powerball!

Pay off ppor but stay there 'cause I like it there. If it is paid off my income could pay for some extra comforts.

Set up property portfolio.

Organise LOC so I can replace car when I need to in a few years.

Set some aside to pay ongoing university fees and continue to work full time while I finish my degree part time.

In other words from the outside wouldn't appear any different.

I would like to think that I would hand some out to my nearest and dearest but I think we all learn so much from the choices we make that I would be doing them a disservice to hand money out. I would however, give a proportion to charity where it could have ongoing benefit (perhaps assist an indigenous student to get a degree and to work and inspire their own community).

One thing I am sure of is that I wouldn't tell a SOUL! 'cept you guys <wink>

wish-ga said:
I would like to think that I would hand some out to my nearest and dearest but I think we all learn so much from the choices we make that I would be doing them a disservice to hand money out.

wish-ga,

That's a pretty good point actually. I'm kinda in a slightly different boat in that my family understands investing to an extent (grandparents and dad owned IP's, mum and partner invest and brother wants to invest but isn't motivated enough - yet). But yeah, I can see what you mean about it being a disservice. Imagine the situations after you gave them money and they (potentially) throw it away and come back looking for more and you say 'No!'.

If I ws in that sort of position I'd probably say to them 'Hey, I have some money for you, but I'm not giving it to you - you have to prove to me it's not going to be wasted, but that you'll use it to help grow your net worth. Some people might say 'Geez, that's a bit controlling, let them use it how they want'.

Well, I say 'If they want to waste money on crap, they can use their own!'

Mark

I would retire, buy a boat and sail around the world for as long as I care, and give as much of my money to friends and relatives.

Thx
V

We would pay off all of our properties but still keep them. We would both retire straight away (near retirement ages anyway) and take to the roads in a fully (re luxuriously) fitted out denning coach and discover this great southern land of Australia.

We would give the close rellies say 10 -20k each but tell them that we have the rest tied up and that is all they are getting.

God dreaming about it already. Now where is that Oz Lotto coupon for tomorrow night :rolleyes:

If you are going to "invest" for your retirement here are some general playing tips.

Courtesy of "Smart Gambler".com (an oxymoron ??)

Minimise your cash outlay

When playing a poor betting game, it is obviously better to wager small amounts so that you lose less. In Oz Lotto for instance you should ideally play one game for a smaller sum rather than play a whole card of 12 games. Of course you have less chances to win, if you are gambling to actually win rather than just paying for the fantasy of what it would be like to be rich, then Lotto is bad value and not the way to go.

Avoid system entries.

Although you can get about a 6% discount, you have to outlay large amounts to get it. In a practical sense it is better to play for just a few dollars with an expected return of 60% than play for hundreds of dollars with an expected return of 64%. Statistically speaking you are losing either way, so the smaller outlay minimizes the damage.

Whilst I would recommend avoiding system entries because of the larger dollar outlay, if you wish to ignore this advice there is a point worth mentioning which was raised by Professor Stephen Clarke from Swinburne University.

In his words, "Because system entries repeat the same numbers on many entries, when a particular set of numbers from a system entry win a certain division, they will also win several prizes from the lower division or possibly of the same division. This means that when a system entry wins something, it is likely to be a bigger total amount because of the multiple wins. Now there is no such thing as a free lunch, so the higher total prize is counteracted by a lower chance of winning something. In short, by choosing a system entry rather than an equivalent number of separate independent entries with different numbers, a player will have a win less often. But when they do win, they win more."

Minimise your time outlay

Don't take it too seriously! Don't waste brain activity and emotional energy trying to figure out a way to beat the system. There are other games which offer a far better chance of this being possible. In Lotto either you will be supremely lucky and win a lot of money, or you won't. Chances are overwhelmingly huge that you won't. The fact that it is possible to win lower division prizes doesn't change the bottom line, a bad return on each dollar wagered.

Don't go overboard just because there's a jackpot

A lot of people play extra Lotto games when there's a jackpot, but in the vast majority of cases the value you are getting is still poor. It is only very rarely (and you would have to be monitoring lotteries all around the world) that sufficient successive jackpots occur to make a syndicated attack theoretically worthwhile. It has however been pointed out to us by Professor Clarke that normal Tattslotto only returns 55% to the player, with the extra 5% usually quoted only returned eventually to the player by way of Tattslotto Superdraws. So whilst you should still not go overboard, if you must spend money on Tattslotto, the Superdraws offer better value as they are mildly subsidised by the normal draws.

Try to pick unpopular combinations

This is really the only positive advice we have to offer on lottery playing strategy. It is so obvious as to hardly seem worth stating, that if you win a prize in any division, you win more if you have to share it with fewer people. Remember, all Lotto combinations are equally likely to win. Many people for some reason find this hard to grasp and if you must play Lotto you should at least try to exploit this.

There are various ways to try and identify combinations that are likely to be unpopular. Here are a handful of statistically unproven, but logical, suggestions.

Avoid combinations that make obvious geometric patterns on the card.
Avoid supposedly 'lucky' numbers like 3, 7, 8, 9, or supposedly 'unlucky' numbers like 13. In fact avoid any numbers that draw attention to themselves, such as 42, chosen by Douglas Adams as the answer to the meaning of life because it is a 'normal' looking number that doesn't draw attention to itself

Avoid numbers in the range 1-31, as people often use dates to help them choose their numbers.

Mark Laszczuk said:
If I ws in that sort of position I'd probably say to them 'Hey, I have some money for you, but I'm not giving it to you - you have to prove to me it's not going to be wasted, but that you'll use it to help grow your net worth. Some people might say 'Geez, that's a bit controlling, let them use it how they want'.

Mark
Or maybe invest the money for them using a trust and let them have the distributions so they don't blow the capital.

Hi all,

I must admit - I am one of the people who never play lotto - well only very occasionally when there is a BIG jackpot. I still like dreaming about spending all that money though although instead of it being lotto winnings I dream about how I will spend my money when my investments finally pay off. I think that by seeing or dreaming about the fruits of my labour I will have more chance of achieving it whereas if I just dream about winning lotto, I won't actually be doing anything proactive to make that dream come true.

I usually buy a few tickets in Endeavour prize home lotteries though so maybe I have a chance there!

cheers
Nat :)

I am the bloke who wins the BBQ chicken or the 6 pack down the pub. I have never been able to win anything much better.

And you know, most people say much the same thing.

But I am lucky in love which more than makes up for that!

natmarie73 said:
Hi all,

I must admit - I am one of the people who never play lotto - well only very occasionally when there is a BIG jackpot. I still like dreaming about spending all that money though although instead of it being lotto winnings I dream about how I will spend my money when my investments finally pay off. I think that by seeing or dreaming about the fruits of my labour I will have more chance of achieving it whereas if I just dream about winning lotto, I won't actually be doing anything proactive to make that dream come true.

I usually buy a few tickets in Endeavour prize home lotteries though so maybe I have a chance there!

cheers
Nat :)

Never play lotto either - it basically comes under the "way too speculative" rating for us (and therefore "risky" as the chances of loss are high) :p

Probably much rather use the money to buy shares in the company that runs the lottery.... it is an interesting difference in perception of "risk" - many people might spend $500 a year in buying lottery tickets, but would baulk at buying shares in a company that makes money from them :confused:

Cheers,

The Y-man

Lots of people put 20 bucks a week into lotto.

Imagine that compounded at 10% a year for 40 years?

I never play lotto or any other form of gambling either, and I hold a good chunk of Tabcorp and PBL.

See ya's.

The Y-man said:
Probably much rather use the money to buy shares in the company that runs the lottery.... it is an interesting difference in perception of "risk" - many people might spend $500 a year in buying lottery tickets, but would baulk at buying shares in a company that makes money from them :confused:

The Y-man

We have shares in Tabcorp ......its alot easier to pick a winner on this side of the fence. The dividends are alot better too :D

If I ws in that sort of position I'd probably say to them 'Hey, I have some money for you, but I'm not giving it to you - you have to prove to me it's not going to be wasted, but that you'll use it to help grow your net worth.

In the same vein; I have a cousin that wants to go overseas but her parents are not in a good financial situation so my cousin props them up constantly. Once she saves the fare and is booked I will give her some spending money. But only once she has done the had slog of saving first. I want her to have the satisfaction of having achieved it. Then the cherry on top will be all the sweeter. :)

topcropper said:
Lots of people put 20 bucks a week into lotto.

Imagine that compounded at 10% a year for 40 years?
I probably won't be around in 40 years- but I make that at $280,000. In dollars from 2045- if inflation was 4% pa, that would be about $46,000 in today's dollars. I'd rather have the excitement of the odd flutter ;)

Mark Laszczuk said:
wish-ga,

That's a pretty good point actually. I'm kinda in a slightly different boat in that my family understands investing to an extent (grandparents and dad owned IP's, mum and partner invest and brother wants to invest but isn't motivated enough - yet). But yeah, I can see what you mean about it being a disservice. Imagine the situations after you gave them money and they (potentially) throw it away and come back looking for more and you say 'No!'.

Mark
I have to agree with you."if they want to waste money on crap, they can use their own". I always thought if I ever won I'd set the money in some sort of trust fund where they could only spend the interest.This way if they waste their money and then develope some maturity,they haven't wasted too much.Spouses can't get any of it either in cases of divorce.

Well I never play lotto, so I guess I would never win. However if I was to come into $3m I would probably buy another $6m of property. :D

Back