Just spent a week as a tourist in Sydney

Yep, if you try and do everything in any city you can spend months, but ten days in Sydney covers a big chunk. It was interesting spending those ten days with my friends. When they left, I felt they had done a fair bit: harbour (boating + a few walks), Opera House, 2 beaches (including Sculpture by the Sea), 4 museums/galleries, some different food experiences.

Actually Depreciator, could you start up a separate thread on Melbourne, Perth, New York, London etc along similar lines as this thread. That would be very interesting.

Might be best to steer clear of Aussie cities lest people's feelings get hurt.

I love Sydney, what a great city.

One day we just got on a bus travelling around the bay areas, we ended up at Rosebay, OMG there are some very nice little pockets around there. I think I could live there.

A couple of wines at Watson's Bay with fish and chips, nice way to spend a day.

Sydney is a beautiful city and especially wonderful if you are a food lover, lots of place there to eat out all the year! Only thing i am not a fan of is the busy city and the traffic :)

Sydney is a beautiful city and especially wonderful if you are a food lover, lots of place there to eat out all the year! Only thing i am not a fan of is the busy city and the traffic :)

Just wondering if Sydney is such a wonderful place why people over the School holiday periods exit it in their droves for both the North and South Coast beach areas. When I speak with Sydney holiday makers they always say that they hate the "Rat Race" and the only reason they are there is due to employment obligations. Some of these tourists are even from the more let's say prestigious areas of Sydney. Traffic congestion, crowded beaches, long commutes to work are only some of the issues they have to deal with.

Thankfully, not for me.

Just wondering if Sydney is such a wonderful place why people over the School holiday periods exit it in their droves for both the North and South Coast beach areas. When I speak with Sydney holiday makers they always say that they hate the "Rat Race" and the only reason they are there is due to employment obligations. Some of these tourists are even from the more let's say prestigious areas of Sydney. Traffic congestion, crowded beaches, long commutes to work are only some of the issues they have to deal with.

Thankfully, not for me.

Probably to do with people's subjective tastes and also maybe taking the discussion out of context.

People here are generously discussing the city of Sydney as a tourist destination, not an overview of urban life as a whole.

I reckon most tourists would rather visit Sydney than Wollongong, or any other South Coast destination :)

Yes, it's interesting. People head out of town on holidays partly for a change of scenery. Equally, plenty of country folk head to the big smoke for holidays. I am anchored to Sydney by employment and schools, but much as I like the idea of moving up the coast, I would always keep a residence in Sydney. I have known a few born and bred city people who have left town and then come back. I complain about the traffic, but I like the energy and opportunities of a city.

I just spent the past 3 days in Sydney.. I can't get enough of the harbour and beaches. Watson's Bay was the highlight for me.. Awesome contrast between the city scape, harbour and cliffs on the ocean side. Brekky at Bondi and swimming laps at the Bronte rock pool was another highlight..

I'd happily live in Sydney.. Provided I didn't have to travel further than 1km west of the coast :p

Back