kallangur Heating up in SE Qld

For what it's worth Margaret Lomas recommended Kallangur on Sky Business Channel on Monday night. She favoured Kallangur but also included the suburbs along the new rail line to Redcliffe and also SW Brisbane, probably around Redbank Plains as best areas in Brisbane for under $350k. Having said that she's recommended southern suburbs of Adelaide for a few years and these have only gone backwards in value.

I guess her recommendations are conservative picks for the long term and are in the $250k to $350k bracket as these are within the affordability range for young families and also means you have more scope to spread your investments over more areas for diversification.

Where ever there is government spending on infrastructure such as new roads or rail then this should put upward pressure on values.

For what it's worth Margaret Lomas recommended Kallangur on Sky Business Channel on Monday night. She favoured Kallangur but also included the suburbs along the new rail line to Redcliffe and also SW Brisbane, probably around Redbank Plains as best areas in Brisbane for under $350k. Having said that she's recommended southern suburbs of Adelaide for a few years and these have only gone backwards in value.

I guess her recommendations are conservative picks for the long term and are in the $250k to $350k bracket as these are within the affordability range for young families and also means you have more scope to spread your investments over more areas for diversification.

Where ever there is government spending on infrastructure such as new roads or rail then this should put upward pressure on values.

What southern suburbs have gone back in value?

Did you purchase in the area?

When did you purchase?

What southern suburbs have gone back in value?

Did you purchase in the area?

When did you purchase?

Christie Downs is where I purchased and has dropped 8% in 3 years. The new Southern Expressway is due to open this year (I think) so will see how that pans out. It only costs $1k per year to hold with potential to build a duplex so I will be holding for the long term.

Christie Downs is where I purchased and has dropped 8% in 3 years. The new Southern Expressway is due to open this year (I think) so will see how that pans out. It only costs $1k per year to hold with potential to build a duplex so I will be holding for the long term.

You probably got in really early which is usually a good thing, but sometimes like you can mean little bit of a dull period. I think it will do good long term, hopefully you will see some good growth in coming years. Is that $1k before of after tax, doesn't hurt the wallet too much especially with development potential. And low entry so shouldn't of killed too much cash/equity

You probably got in really early which is usually a good thing, but sometimes like you can mean little bit of a dull period. I think it will do good long term, hopefully you will see some good growth in coming years. Is that $1k before of after tax, doesn't hurt the wallet too much especially with development potential. And low entry so shouldn't of killed too much cash/equity

That's after tax using depreciation deductions. There are loads of areas in outer Brisbane and Adelaide for old houses on a block of land which are around 250k to 300k and cash flow neutral using 20% deposit. It's a very affordable entry point for first home buyers who will at some point if not already move in and drive prices up. If it's also a site which can be developed then that's a bonus.

I don't know why anyone would be interested in kallangur, it's so far away, what's up there? 32 k from the city - is there anything, other than train line, that I don't know about that makes this place interesting to investors? Surely people would be better to go to Chermside.

Hang on love, the majority of the Australian population has lower incomes than yours and cant begin to dream of purchasing a house in Chermside. Do you know what the cash shortfall would be to buy into a $500k+ house that rents at ??? per week.

Plus they are two totally different demographics. The people who live in Pine Rivers wouldn't be seen dead in Chermside. Those yellow and grey six story monstrosities all around Westfields make us want to vomit.

OK...time for questions.....how many IPs do you own and what is your strategy?

I am mere amateur..so look forward to your response. ....:p

I don't know why anyone would be interested in kallangur, it's so far away, what's up there? 32 k from the city - is there anything, other than train line, that I don't know about that makes this place interesting to investors? Surely people would be better to go to Chermside.

Kallangur is 24 k from CBD not 32. When you are investing, you have to look at potential growth long term. Everyone knows about Chermside so a lot of the growth has already occurred there. Kallangur could be a hidden "gem" because of planned infrastructure and closeness to other growth suburbs such as Mango Hill/Nth Lakes which appears to be earmarked to become the CBD of outer Brisbane.

24? When I google mapped it it says 30.6 k to city and 31 minutes to city, which would not be the case with traffic from the north to the city.

24? When I google mapped it it says 30.6 k to city and 31 minutes to city, which would not be the case with traffic from the north to the city.

Depends which google search you used as I get figures of 31, 29, 25 and 24. Wikepedia says 24 and my hard copy street directory shows a radius of about 24. 30.6 may be the actual distance by car which would probably differ if going by train.

Peak hour travel time from Brisbane City to Kallangur is definitely well above 30 minutes with the Gympie Road crawl.

The train takes a longer route to the CBD as it runs in a zig zap through to Northgate and Nundah before heading to the city.

Depends which google search you used as I get figures of 31, 29, 25 and 24. Wikepedia says 24 and my hard copy street directory shows a radius of about 24. 30.6 may be the actual distance by car which would probably differ if going by train.

Yeah as the crow flies 24km, but 30 by road.

Train is approx. 45 minutes CBD to Petrie. We do not use Gympie Rd or Sandgate Road. We avoid these two roads at all costs as they have millions of traffic lights. We oldies use South Pine Road and Kelvin Grove or Waterworks Rd and Ashgrove.

I was up until midnight reading the Moreton Plan last night. Apparently 80% of residents work locally, which I have been saying forever about us NOT travelling into the big City. That is what God gave us Chermside for..... the big scary city but with easy parking.

I was up until midnight reading the Moreton Plan last night. Apparently 80% of residents work locally, which I have been saying forever about us NOT travelling into the big City. That is what God gave us Chermside for..... the big scary city but with easy parking.

So do you think many people would use the new train link from Redcliffe to Petrie? 80% of working residents in Moreton Bay Council drive to work so if they don't work in Brisbane city and Chermside is not on the rail network then I wonder who will be using it.

So do you think many people would use the new train link from Redcliffe to Petrie? 80% of working residents in Moreton Bay Council drive to work so if they don't work in Brisbane city and Chermside is not on the rail network then I wonder who will be using it.

If 80% of residents work locally, then the other 20% can catch the train. Others work at the airport. We currently know people who live at NL and drive to Dakabin station to work in the CBD, they will get a local train when it is available. University students will need it because the pseudo-Uni at Caboolture keeps reducing its faculties each year. I don t know when they will built a new one at NL but land has been set aside for it. I would hate to have to get to UQ from anywhere in Moreton.

PS we don't work at Chermside Shopping centre, we go there to buy non-bogan clothes and shoes and to watch movies. I will sometimes drive past Strathpine to go shopping at NL when I know Chermside will be too crowded for my liking.

The Strathpine cinema smells dank and mouldy and the seats aren't as big or comfy as the ones at Chermside. We also use the Chermside hospitals although Redcliffe Hospital has been good to me too.

Does everyone realise that Moreton is a totally different world from Brisbane? It's as different as Bayview's Frankston compared to Melbourne. Our heritage is farming and my dream home would be on acreage at Samford or Narangba. North Lakes is the centre of cosmopolitan Moreton, but I am yet to meet a person who grew up in Brisbane who would buy their first home there.

80% of working residents in Moreton Bay Council drive to work so if they don't work in Brisbane city .... then I wonder who will be using it.

Actually if you work in the city, you wouldn't chose to live anywhere in Moreton. Moreton is the Dark Hole of Brisbane public transport. By introducing more PT options, I can see more younger residents moving into the region in coming years. As I said before, the only people we know who live up north and commute to the CBD are migrants who don't see it as being inconvenient. Those who grew up in Brisbane wont cross that invisible line at Bald Hills. Funny thing is that where I live at Eatons Hill/Albany Creek, we are far more Brisbane than Warner and Strathpine which are the two adjoining suburbs to the north. At least you can catch a bus once an hour to QUT Kelvin Grove from here.

Does everyone realise that Moreton is a totally different world from Brisbane? It's as different as Bayview's Frankston compared to Melbourne. Our heritage is farming and my dream home would be on acreage at Samford or Narangba. North Lakes is the centre of cosmopolitan Moreton, but I am yet to meet a person who grew up in Brisbane who would buy their first home there.

It's interesting, Due to council amalgamation, Moreton Bay Regional Council is perhaps the most diverse of all the regional councils. I can tell you that the residents of Arana/Everton Hills who are so close to the CBD have very little connection to faraway Redcliffe or equally distant North Lakes.

As a long term acreage resident in Samford, my place just 16km to Bne as the crow flies (19km on the road), Northlakes is somewhere I have never been. It's funny living in the bush and being part of the Moreton Bay council. Nah, I'm from Brisbane.

Actually if you work in the city, you wouldn't chose to live anywhere in Moreton.

Not true. The Hills district residents are well served by public transport or a short drive to the city. Many, many locals in Samford also work in the city. I'm one of them, as are 100% of the residents on our St. Very do-able drive to the city, or drive/bus to Ferny Grove Train Station for the shortest ride on the network to the city.

Moreton isn't a community as such IMO, but a bunch of radically different areas/demographics thrust together by amalgamation.

Embarrassment

:eek: My sincerest apologies Hoffy, I totally forgot about the Hills District last night. My thoughts were for the people down south who see prices in the northern end of Moreton and think "that's cheap, I should buy it" and have been researching Murrumba and Kallangur. Another person last month PMed me about an estate at Griffin that backs directly onto the motorway. I was writing about those suburbs up north.

Caboolture is so not-Brisbane is has FarmFest and it's own Country Music festival.

Funny reading this thread as I was born in Strathpine and while I don't remember it as we moved away when I was around three I moved back to "Brisbane" around 8 years ago and ended up in Morayfield (or Moron as some have called it).

It ended up being part of a sales area I looked after so I got to know it pretty well, more so Brendale the industrial area.

My old man worked in George Street and use to tell me about catching the train back then (40 years ago) and it use to take a hour one way. No ipads or mp3 players back then you would to have to read the paper/book or talk to other people!

That was my parents first purchase and I just guess it goes to show people had to live in the outer suburbs to get onto the property ladder back then to!

Chermside must have been out of his price range as well :)

Back