Kempsey bypass - good or bad?

Looking at Kempsey, it seems to have some solid CF+ properties atm. But there's a bypass happening and I'm wondering how this will impact the local market? It's generally a good thing right... :confused: Would it be a risk to buy there before the bypass is complete?

i would like to know other peoples thoughts aswell i know kempsey isnt exactly going to be the next paddington or bondi but i reckon kempsey has always been held back i because the pacific hwy goes straight through the town centre creating traffic, noise and general unpleasantness.. with this gone it would be be more akin to a nicer town like grafton

theres a 3 bedder in kempsey for $99k claiming $180-190/week rent on re.com at the moment doesnt get much cheaper than that on the nsw coast !!

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-kempsey-106998415

I can only see positives re the Kempsey bypass. It is the main service area for the region. It is also a big enough town to continue to be a useful food/fuel/motel etc stop, as it is about halfway between SYD-BRIS/GC.

A very handy stopping point. Motels will also be more attractive as the hwy will be less noisy after the bypass goes through.

Smaller towns totally reliant on highway trade will suffer though.

I just stopped through Kempsey several times in the last few weeks, whilst staying with friends in Cresent Head.

The proximity to the much nicer coastal beach retreats of South West Rocks (developing a nice tourist trade as a great dive site), Cresent Head/Diamond Head beaches (again, strong with surfing tourism), and the appeal of peaceful vacation spots within driving distance to either Sydney or Brisbane, is positive.

The removal of the highway is also positive. What concerns me are the socio-economic issues, and lacklustre local economy. After retail, there is little other industry. Farming and agriculture is tough because of the flood plain's unpredictable nature. Many farmers have had seasons of crops ruined by floods there. Levies are in place to protect the town itself but not the farmland.

That said, with the highway moved away, the town may benefit from this and economy stimulated.

Returns are great but I wonder about quality of tenant (particularly in South Kempsey where quality of tenant can be weak).

My wifes family (and now, me) go to Crescent Head each year for holidays. Kempsey is large enough that the bypass wont effect them too much, we even got to try it out over Easter (they opened it and bulladelah just for the easter weekend, then closed them). The bridge is looooong. I can see it being used in movies for the "oh no, the bridge is falling down from an earthquake...drive faster".

The thing to watch for in Kempsey I am told by the locals, is...well...the locals. A lot of kids with 'nothing to do' and not a huge amount of jobs..you can guess the rest.

Many high school graduates leave the area to attend uni (many not coming baack), so the 18-30 age range is smaller (so I am told by locals..not looking at census).

Hi eXc,

I was also there over Easter and agree with your thoughts on the bridge! I thought similar things when going over it!

Also agree with your thoughts re: 'The locals'. It seemed everyone who I engaged with in their 'employment' (so, shop owners, retail workers, council workmen, people in cafes etc) were genuinely friendly.

The unsavoury types where those carrying liquor bottles around on the streets first thing in the morning, and those hanging out in the parks at night.

Still, the returns are undeniably good, which is what makes it tempting for an area so close to pretty coastline beaches.

Thought this might be appropriate, it is in the large south side park :)

2010-11-21_028.JPG

Know people with four properties between them in Kempsey (not south kempsey ), given what they've been through I wouldn't touch the place with a ten foot pole. Also know a number of people that work for council or nestle and commute daily from port Mac.
Whilst over time the place should improve if they can get some jobs into the area, until then you may not get the greatest selection of tenants.
Keep in mind as well part of the high demand at the moment would also be due to highway workers (sections north and south of the new bypass)

And to whomever mentioned motels - a number have now been turned into temporary worker accomodation/boarding houses due to low turnover. At least one servo and one fast food joint have closed down, and the others have all heavily reduced staff.

Back