Buying near a train station

My husband and I are looking to buy in Brisbane as we're moving there shortly and don't really want to rent. We are planning to buy a place that we will live in for many years, so it really needs to be the right place.

Is it bad to buy near a train station? One place we're looking at is only about 200m from the train station. Is that too close? We haven't been through the house yet, so I'm not sure how noisy it is, but plan to go through in about 2 weeks time.

Are trains more likely to blow their horns at night? (Does that even happen anymore). I'm just wondering how we properly gauge the noise factor.

Access to a train station is fantastic in my opinion..

I would not live opposite the line/station tho... one or 2 streets back but within easy walking distance.

Is it 200m and on the same road? Or 200m with a street or 2 of houses between? Personally I wouldn't buy on the same road. Particularly if you're planning on being there long term. A couple of blocks back just makes it convenient. Apart from noise, you should also consider other flow on effects - parking? Ratty kids getting off late at night and up to mischief etc. I think it also depends on the basic demographic of the suburb.

I rented with literally about 10m between my front door and the platform. When i got off the train it would take me around 15 seconds between getting off and getting inside the house. It was my house, a footpath and then a dirt mound up to the platform.

Now apart from the convenience of getting to and from the station the rest are cons and I would never do it again:
NOISE - People and ofcourse the trains, my station (West Richmond) had trains that passed directly through it and when they did would blow their horn.

PEOPLE - Richmond is a brilliant suburb but it has housing commissions, I witnessed 3 drug deals with one directly outside my door when I walked out.

SECURITY - See above but all houses had bars across the doors and windows, not a great look at all.

Hi

Hi,

I bought a investment property about 100 meters away from the station but its behind a coupe of houses.

My tenants love the fact they are near a station and to be honest after a couple of weeks they are used to it :).

Be careful which train line you move near.

There are some that have diesel trains running on them 24x7 that wake the dead at 4am. I used to live across from Morningside station and it was crazy how loud they are, I'm sure it's above the noise regulations.

Turns out it doesn't matter now anyway, the home went under offer today :(

Brisbane is still a very hot market! Got to get in quick. Quite a lot of my clients are looking to purchase in Brisbane and it's not uncommon for properties to go under offer soon after being advertised.

Cheers

Jamie

Back