Kids and Jobs around the House

When the kids were about 2 1/2 I asked them to make their bed..and they did !!
I never critized the job they did..and when they became teenagers they stopped :mad:

When they were big enough they took turns with the dishwasher.
The had to fill and empty for a week at a time.

That's about it.
My mother never made me do chores around the house either.

My son has/had a set of jobs he needs to do each day. This includes putting the rubbish out, doing the dishes, feeding the pets and keeping his room tidy. In exchange I gave him $10 a week pocket money.

This worked well for 10 years of so, until he got a part time job and didnt need the pocket money anymore.

Now I'm lucky if he even gets out of bed, let alone makes it!

My daughter, 8, is expected to tidy up after herself, put her clean washing away and generally do anything around the house I ask her to do ... but no real set chores.

She gets $5/wk but has to save up and pay for anything she wants, toys/lollies/movies with friends/ipod touch vouchers etc.

Mine gets $10 to pick up and sweep in the loungeroom once a week, and $2 to sweep the laundry floor.

She doesn't like doing it (she used to do this unpaid for ages and said she loved it until we started paying) so she takes as long as possible to do it. Takes her an hour some days. Takes me about 10-15 minutes. When she's done, I mop.

I don't have kids, but if I did I would definitely get them to do chores. Even if it's just small ones, I think it just helps them later in life with a start with a good work ethic. My parents didn't make me do any chores, and frankly when i left home at 17 I had no idea how to turn on the washing machine, iron, or cook (well I did do a bit of cooking at school, but not really enough to get by). So I think it's really important for kids to learn these skills at home.

My (primary aged) kids have it pretty darn good in regards to helping around the house . They don't have set chores but I do, however, expect them to show me respect by keeping the house clean and tidy. I have always made them put their own dirty clothes in the washing basket; hang their towels up after showering; help me set the table for dinner; bring their plates to the sink after dinner/lunch/breakfast; help me carry in grocery bags and put items away. Also, as their Dad works a lot of shift work, they do more when he's not home such as feed pets and help with washing up. I also keep those anti-bacterial wipe thingys under the kitchen sink and they know to grab those and clean up if they've spilled something. They have fully accepted their mother's OCD tendencies for cleanliness from the moment they took their first breaths and I believe that any future-partner they may have will be indebted to me for life. :D

Hmmm, re-reading through the above, I suppose they do more than I thought. Might have to cut the poor little blighters some slack...

Hmmm, re-reading through the above, I suppose they do more than I thought. Might have to cut the poor little blighters some slack...

No - mine does the same (towels, laundry etc), but I put it under "tidy after herself". She also cooks occasionally - usually cupcakes and the like.

It's a bit hard to set chores when things change from day to day ... like the dishwasher might finish and need emptying during school hours, or I do the grocery shopping during the day. Junior is just expected to do what is "required".

Rest assured - she will be cooking and washing by the time she leaves home!

My kids (14 and 11) have been setting and clearing the table and feeding the cats for a couple of years now.

they also have bigger jobs that they do probably once a fortnight, eg cleaning bathroom, vacuuming, dusting. They dont necessarily do it that well, and they whinge about it... but they do it eventually.

They get $20/ mth as pocket money, of which they need to save some and give some to charity.

I find that the busier we are, the less they do, because we are too tired to fight with them to get them to help....... and we are far from being tidy people ourselves. So, its a challenge!

But they have been very good over Christmas and with moving PPOR.... so maybe they are improving (or they are bored...;) )

I've never really understood pocket money. Money to live more or less. I don't get paid to make my bed or wash my clothes and neither will my children. You can bet that being told, forced or bribed with money is one sure way for you kids to learn very quickly that they don't want to do whatever it is you want them to do.

I wouldn't get my kids to do anything they don't want to do. I ask for help with things and they sometimes join in. Or sometimes they are too busy playing. Sometimes I don't ask and they help anyway. They watch me and ask questions or try to imitate elsewhere. They see me and my husband doing/living about the house and as social beings they watch and learn and have a go when ready and willing.

My 6 year old boy gets $10 a week which he saves half and the other $5 he can spend. His spending money he has been saving lately to add to his model train collection.

I am trying to teach him two things here.

How to manage money, put some away for your first car and house. Start saving now for it. (he has a nice spreadsheet and graph showing over time his balance growing).

Delayed gratification. He could easily buy a train station for $30 but he is waiting until he saves $100 to get an electric train. (also he can realise how much things cost and you can't just walk into a shop and get anything you want)

Giving him this little bit extra money has worked well. Now when we go to kmart and he sees a $3 car and he says he wants it, we say ok you can have it, we will take it out from your train money. Then he thinks about it and says oh, dont worry about it.

Money management is something that wasn't taught to me personally, and I was just a big spender until I was nearly 30. So I am quite big on setting a good foundation.

I want to teach him how to manage money, not how to be a tight as s .

We have already received comments from some parents, oh thats too much to give a 6 year old. Actually at a recent bbq a cousin who is in grade 9 said she is only getting $11 a week after I explained our boy was getting $10. To me she is learning to save by being tight. Not managing money.

He has a set routine of chores as well which include emptying the dishwasher each morning before school etc.

I've never really understood pocket money. Money to live more or less. I don't get paid to make my bed or wash my clothes and neither will my children. You can bet that being told, forced or bribed with money is one sure way for you kids to learn very quickly that they don't want to do whatever it is you want them to do.

I'm another that doesn't pay/reward/give 'special' praise for doing jobs.

Ok, so sometimes they need reminding, especially as they enter the teens and become preoccupied, but they know full well that they need to contribute to a household that they share with others.

We have been very clear with that message, and so far, not once have they refused or got angry when asked to do something.

I give $10 pw pocket money to the little one, but this is to allow him to budget his going out and purchasing expenses, that as a parent i would pay for anyway (it has nothing to do with jobs around the house).

Edit: may need to raise that pocket money - kid is now 13.

From about 10 onwards.
Light wood heater for hot water. As got older chop the wood as well.
Feed chocks, ducks, pigeons.
Clean the cages of the above about once a month.
Either wash or dry dishes.
Mow lawn.
About 15 I was made cook once a week.
All for $2.

Sister did the clothes folding and some cleaning.
Fairly traditional parents.

Chores around the house

Hiya

Have a girlfriend who is married to a neat freak...his mum was bordering psychotic in terms of tidiness and cleanliness....and turned her son into a mini-her...

Now my girlfriend has to deal with this part of his personality ...at the end of a hard day's work with 5 kids, hubby comes back and whines about an untidy and unkept house...it makes for an unhappy and stressful marriage!

MORAL of the story: don't think you should pat yourself too much on the back if you manage to turn your kids into neat freaks :eek:

(okay : i think i am ready to be shot down now!!:p)

Hiya

Have a girlfriend who is married to a neat freak...his mum was bordering psychotic in terms of tidiness and cleanliness....and turned her son into a mini-her...

Now my girlfriend has to deal with this part of his personality ...at the end of a hard day's work with 5 kids, hubby comes back and whines about an untidy and unkept house...it makes for an unhappy and stressful marriage!

MORAL of the story: don't think you should pat yourself too much on the back if you manage to turn your kids into neat freaks :eek:

with 5 kids 2 of them have to be old enough to help around the house so that would be a start for her to satisfy the standards.

Of course the other option is to hand him a broom or dustpan and suggest he gets stuck into it.

A pat on our back

Hiya

And how about the other friend who had a "perfect" mother in law who prides herself on her culinary skills; she used to boast that her son never had to eat junk or takeaway food....so much so that when the son marries, he just couldn't stomach his wife's "low" standard of cooking...he actually had the cheek to suggest mum moves in with them.......:eek:

MORAL OF THE STORY: DON"T COOK OR CLEAN TOO WELL...your future daughter in law will not appreciate it!!!:p

Footnote: i actually married a man whose mum's cooking is worse than mine (and believe you me, that is a record:p)...but then she had a career as a phsiotherapist and is a great friend of mine and fantastic with my kids...so i forgive her:p Plus my hubby appreciates my cooking (if i do cook) :D I love my mum in law for setting such low standards!!!

Hiya

Are you serious?!?! As a neat freak with 5 kids he comes home and complains about the state of the house as opposed to cleaning it? His mother was obviously old fashioned too!

As for the pocket money thing. My best friend was given $10-15 a week as a child and had set chores to do - which included cooking dinner one night a week (yes this is under 13 years old) although the other chores weren't that onerous. Her parents never bought junk food (like mine occasionally did) or paid for any entertainment - she had to save up and budget for it. At 13 her pocket money increased to $50 but then she was responsible for buying all her own clothes. It may seem like a lot of money but she left home being able to budget & cook - I struggled with both until my early 30s. Although, if I'm honest I'd admit my cooking still isn't that crash hot.

Hiya

The hubby has the problem.
If it bothers him..let him get up and start cleaning.
Wife will either close off her ears..or eventually have enough, and kick him to the curb.

I have always said, a house that is spotless all the time..has very unhappy people living in it...even if they live alone.

It *really* helps if you get a spouse with similar standards of food and clean to yourself. Self and partner are reasonably grotty compared to some (but absolute paragons of cleanliness compared to others - we don't leave stuff lying around rotting in the corners like I've seen some people do). But eldest child is a serious neat freak and constantly complains about the food.

Fortunately she's got old enough now to realise that hang on a second, when she visits other people the food at their houses is nowhere near as good as at home. She still can't tell chicken/beef/lamb/pork apart (other than whole roast chicken or pork with crackling). No interest whatsoever in cooking though. Probably a good thing considering she seems to have next to no tastebuds ...

We started paying her to clean because she was spending so much time cleaning up we thought hey, might as well.

...at the end of a hard day's work with 5 kids, hubby comes back and whines about an untidy and unkept house...it makes for an unhappy and stressful marriage!

We have a simple rule in our house - "thems that complain get to do it themselves".

Haven't had a complaint about dinner, ironing, lawns or any other aspect for years.

Back