Kitchen reno ideas

Hi Gang

I've just bought a 33sqm unit. The kitchen is about 2m x 3.5m with obviously water damaged particle board cupboards.

I'm not sure what I'll do with this place yet. Buy & hold; resell quick or vendor finance. So I'm looking for options to fix it up cheaply.

I can't remember the state of the benchtops or taps. So suggestions there are welcome too.

Regards

Paul Zag
Dreamspinner

Paul

Ikea do great kit kitchens.

They also have good layouts in their catalogue for small apartments.

I have got very good practical storage ideas from them, particularly making use of wall space.

They are also very safety conscious - tempered glass for bathroom fittings etc

Cheers

Kristine

Hi Paul :)

Cheap options include:

* Replacing damaged doors and benchtops only. Get quotes from kitchen companies or ones that specialize in this like Mr Benchtops (9417 8388) or Doors-n-Benchtops (0414 874 299). You could also try getting a carpenter/cabinetmaker in to give you a quote, though I've found that the specialized companies can usually get the materials a lot cheaper because they're buying in bulk.

* Replace only the damaged doors and repaint the lot in a laminate paint and replace the door handles. I've used the paint with great success and it's not a big job. (Get the kids to help!)

* As far as taps go, pick a mixer like Dorf that will at least last the distance. Heaps of cheap places that you will pick one up for under $90. I've found Tradelink to be pretty cheap for this type of stuff, or other plumbing outlets.

If the splashbacks are tired, give them the tile paint treatment- also works a treat and freshens up the whole kitchen.

Whatever, you do, have fun and keep us posted!

Hey Paul.

I have just spent 2 weeks researching kitchens for my next reno.

Not sure who can help up there (I'm in Melbourne), but try Yellow pages for suppliers of kit kitchens. These will require self assembly, but can save you up to 25%.

If the carcasses are ok, then perhaps a facelift would be the way to go.

It will come down to what you want to do with the property. If selling, then do it properly for max wow factor.

If holdong, then a basic facelift would do.

Cheers,
Sam.

a quick note of thanks for this discussion on renovating kitchens cheaply .... we are in the process of checking out a unit (fingers crossed we will buy it in the next week or so) that needs major kitchen work, most of it cosmetic I think.... your ideas were terrific and like Kristine I found Ikea a fantastic source of ideas and their wall and bench cabinets are really quite cheap ($159 - $299) -> if the paint on other cupboards were matched in with them + great handles (matt silver tend to look quite modern, can get for $4 each in hardware stores) put on, it would really spruce up a kitchen...

So thanks again... + Adrian, I thought your offer was really generous -- be interested in knowing more about what kind of help that might be (maybe chat off-line?)....

Jill

Something I have just learnt the hard way about kitchens...if you are putting in laminate floorboards into a property you are also replacing the kitchen in, make sure you put the floor in first. I put the kitchen in first and then had to put quarter board all the way around it as you need to leave a gap around all edges when doing the flooring...the flooring looks good but would look fantastic if it had gone in first.

Glenn

Back