Kitchen Reno... Thoughts / opinions please

How about a second hand kitchen from Ebay? you can get some really good deals. You can mix and match cabinetry with new bunnings benchtops and modern tiles. I have just renovated a 25 year old timber kitchen with a bunnings benchtop, new s/steele look handles and 600x600 gloss floor tiles, used on the walls to give the effect of glass splashbacks (have to think outside the square). Kitchen looks fantastic for around $1,500. I could have bought the kitchen units and timber doors from Ebay for $400. BTW I regularly check out bunnings on line for specials and picked up a double bowl snazzy sink for $85. Bunnings also make a neat mixer tap for $29 so don't pay more than that for the tap unless you have an oversized sink.

Nah. Not after a good story. Just giving figures but I agree that the base cost figure (which I gave) is not everything.

You can't compare someones quote of $20,000 complete with my $3,500.
The first is for everything (I assume)- rip out, plumbing, install, tiles etc.
As mentioned my price is purely a supply price.

Of course if I had to pay someone to rip out my kitchen and fit it and tile etc the figure would likely double. The supply only suits us as we do most work ourselves. It's not for everyone. BTW kitchen installing is on the bottom of my jobs I'd like to do for a living.:D
I suppose I should have stated that more clearly at the beginning to avoid confusion. I wasn't trying to mislead anyone.

I find that on travel sites People say I paid $***. Then when you ask further they haven't included port charges etc or it is $US (not really relevant now).

and i agree with you ,i have seen some outlandish costings on some of the forums i participate in and when you really drill down on them the truth comes out ,having said that most people with reasonable intellegence should be able to figure out that the flash showrooms arnt there for the good of humanity ,they are there to SELL you a product .its not hard to co-ordinate trades within a kitchen or for that matter any renovation the trick is to know when you are being quietly screwed by the tradies .
we manufacture and install flat pack kitchens (our own) for a living and i will let you into a secret from a tradie .
find the LOWEST point on the floor for a kitchen install then work backwards from there with your levels and you will find that at the end of the job all panels will go to the floor

i will let you into a secret from a tradie .
find the LOWEST point on the floor for a kitchen install then work backwards from there with your levels and you will find that at the end of the job all panels will go to the floor

Yeah thanks but as I mentioned my BIL is a kitchen installer so we did that (or so we thought). Maybe the panel was just the wrong size? Can't remember now.

I am located in Darwin but the IP is in Brisbane, I often use the following site for finding tradies. I have used them about three times now and alway got good response and good folks who have done a good job..
Maybe they could help you.

http://www.servicecentral.com.au/

On friday I had a kitchen removed here in Darwin and it cost $500 for one guy. Kitchen was the old chipboard stuff, probably the same size as yours. I organised the dumpster and that was $150.

Here in Darwin there is a guy called the "flatpak man" who only specializes in flatpaks. I would check to see if Brisbane has one also.. I would have thought there would be more options open to one when putting in a new kitchen in Brisbane than Darwin.. You have Freedom kitchen also..

Out of interest, who is cleaning and preparing the walls and flooring of your kitchen once its out? I surprise you can take a kitchen out and replace it without minor preparation work.. but I need at this also, so I might have missed something..

Cheers

Sea from Darwin

Hi Guys,

Help needed please.

I have just recieved a quote for some general repairs and a new kitchen.

Pics are attached :

View attachment 7894

View attachment 7895

New kitchen is a flat pack from Bunnings.

Pricing :

Remove old kitchen:

Skip $180
Labour, 2 people 1 day to remove kitchen and clean site $960
Electrician to disconnect $200

New kitchen delivered $60
Installation of kitchen, 2 people, 2 days $1,920
Cost of kitchen $3,500
Sink $150
Mixer $100
Kick boards & packers $350
Silicone and glue $100