Kmart warranty issue - help?

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anybody knows what to do in this situation.

I bought an electrical item from Kmart (cost $500) and now want to sell it to an associate. It still has 10 months of a 12 month manufacturers warranty left. The thing is, I just can't find the purchase receipt anywhere, looked all over the place. I have the purchase recorded on my Visa card and know the exact time and date I bought the item. Called up Kmart to ask if they can issue me a replacement receipt or proof of purchase just for my warranty.
They said they can't/won't do it.

Is there anything I can do to somehow get a proof of purchase or something to cover my warranty? It would be easy for them to find the transaction from their records so I don't know why they won't reissue a receipt? Surely some people must lose or have their receipts accidentally damaged?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Spider.

Sell it to the associate with the understanding that should they need to make a warranty claim you will accompany them to K Mart and pretend to be the owner by showing your CC receipt.

Sell it to the associate with the understanding that should they need to make a warranty claim you will accompany them to K Mart and pretend to be the owner by showing your CC receipt.

Sounds like a plan. If your friend needs a receipt for his own purposes you could give him a handwritten one.

Thanks for the replies.

Will Kmart take a credit card statement as proof of purchase? I don't know if they will?

Thanks anyway.

Hopefully the warranty won't be required.

The Warranty is by the manufacturer, not K-Mart. Did you get a warranty card with the item?

I have recently had to return a GPS I bought online and the manufacturers accepted the credit card receipt.

Chris

We had a warranty problem with a TV bought from KMart. Could not find the receipt but had the credit card statement. Rang the store where I purchased it and they went through their records and printed out a copy of their paperwork.

We were having trouble getting warranty service and used the supplied paperwork to return the TV to KMart for a full refund.

This was about two years ago, things may have changed.
Marg

Hi Chris,

The manufacturer (Nintendo) will not cover warranty without a proof of purchase receipt.

Marg,

I actually went into the store yesterday with my credit card statement asking if I could get a duplicate proof of purchase from their records for warranty, they just wouldn't do it and said it's my responsibility not to lose the receipt. But they took my details anyway and said they will try to do something.

Thanks

You could buy another one.... photo copy the receipt and then return it the next day for a full refund.... :D (although check they do refunds and not store credit)

Go in with the credit card statement and demand to see evidence of this spurious charge, or you will have credit card company reverse the payment. Then give the produced copy to associate

Back