kwik kopy franchise

Why would I use a copy store when I can buy an A3 multifunction laser for under $5k?

Copy stores are going the way of video stores

Why would I use a copy store when I can buy an A3 multifunction laser for under $5k?

Copy stores are going the way of video stores

In many ways I think printing all together is going the way of the CD/video. Currently everyone has a printer (and often quite a good quality colour printer to boot). But I think this will change.

The only time I print anything nowdays is if it is a contract, and I cant scan/email it (must be original).

I understand that for many companys the e-filing system hasnt yet fully caught on, and they still print everything, however, I think as the oldies move to retirement and the companyies lose the "this is the way we used to do things" mentality printing will reduce more and more.

Everything will be stored digitally soon.

So yes, agree with the general concensus. They suck.

I print my business cards with vistaprint - cost is 0.04 per card plus delivery cost. Hard to beat that with bricks and mortar store.

It's probably an OK business for cashflow but the real killer in any sort of franchise business like this is the RENT. Whether you make good sales or not that week, you still have to pay your $10k or whatever it is per month. Plus with a bad business it's hard to sell as on the one hand you need a lease (to preserve goodwill) but then with a bad performing business the lease is a noose around your neck.

Ok, so lets assume 900k at 10% interest - 90k a year interest bill.
If you want to aim to pay it off in 10 years 90k a year.

Leaves you with 195k wage. Pretty damn good wage but that is assuming things stay as they are and you would have an asset at the end of the 10 year valued around 1 millon. A lot of if's and but's in there but that's business for you its a risk.

900,000|90k rent|6 staff|375net return| a none franchise business is better me thinks

When you look at the way change is happening in every area while narrating backwards and as very few can tunnel any business into the future,and I know a few that have been in that business model and are no-longer in that business,imho I would keep looking in other areas..

I think a couple of basic things need to be seriously considered before entering such a business.

Information on the competition and a view of the untapped opportunities (markets/customers/product).

In this case, I'd assume competition would be high and continually pressuring with new technology, lowering entry costs and untapped opportunities would be very limited based on the current model, which is what you would be purchasing.

Based on this, the returns could be very quickly diminished and your capital outlay may be worth only a fraction of todays asking price in a short period of time.

Of course, there are many other aspects to consider.
Look at many more examples to compare the good and bad.

Do your own swat analysis. Location is a major requirement, lack of competition & up to date technology is a must.

Your occupancy cost is below 10% but what is the norm for the industry?

Speak to some of the other franchisees in the system to get a feel, find out about their network and effectiveness of the franchisor.

Do your own swat analysis. Location is a major requirement, lack of competition & up to date technology is a must.

Your occupancy cost is below 10% but what is the norm for the industry?

Speak to some of the other franchisees in the system to get a feel, find out about their network and effectiveness of the franchisor.

Absolutely agree about speaking to other franchisees. Even spend a day or three working for one for free. You can pick up a lot.

Be careful of figures. Try to find out what the norms are. If the industry standard is 20% for labour (as just one example) and the vendor is showing 10% there's potentially something wrong. They may be paying cash in hand or working undocumented hours themselves in order to make the profit margin sound a lot better than it really is. By spending that time with another franchisee you can determine what the norms are. I've heard of it happening, and I have had people ask me about potential franchises in the area I was in, and found some quite unbelievable figures were being presented.

It's probably an OK business for cashflow but the real killer in any sort of franchise business like this is the RENT. Whether you make good sales or not that week, you still have to pay your $10k or whatever it is per month. Plus with a bad business it's hard to sell as on the one hand you need a lease (to preserve goodwill) but then with a bad performing business the lease is a noose around your neck.
are you spying on me? :D

Just went onto the Kwik Kopy website under the section - Why Kwik Kopy?

Investment in Technology: To provide a broader range of services
- Access to the latest digital reproduction technology
- An ability to meet the ever changing needs of clients and their businesses
- Printing solutions from the more traditional through to state-of-the -art
- Continuous research and development directed at improving our quality
- Ongoing expert technical advice throughout your projects

This is something you need to factor in also.
Expensive capital purchases required to remain competitive in the marketplace.
You initial purchase price may only be the start of ongoing major expenses.

Just my thoughts.

When I think of mass printing, office works comes to mind first.
And they seem to be everywhere. Why go to kwik kopy?

I do have a mate who has a printing business (amongst others) where he specifically targets law firms. Wins a lot of their contracts to print. Perhaps you can find a niche?

I'm probably not a typical sample but the last time I went into a quick kopy was like 1999

Sometimes I wonder how the hell a business like this even survives and who aactually uses them

High rent, high wages all for a few customers who will pay $3 to $5 for a fax or printing or whatever

The place always seems empty

That is unless they have high volume corporate clientele that do roaring trade through them that I'.m not aware of

I might be advertising my stupidity but isnt a snap printing the same thing?

I see heaps of them closing down

Back