L J Hooker franchise ended over lost money

Have people noticed this?
I have been following this story for a few days... apparently there is a substantial rent roll. etc.
What do Somersofters think? :eek:
Cheers
Seaford Sunshine

:eek:
sorry about that. I thought that was how you do links...
I have a new computer and I dont know how to do things on it yet, very frustrating.
could you copy the title and put it in search?
embarrassed
SeafordSunshine

These stories come up from time to time. It is a shame and gives all agents a bad name! I don't know why people do it, they will get caught.

The problem is that every LJ Hooker office will likely notice some back lash from the activities of one franchise owner - It'll be a big hit for the brand name I expect.

Must agree with Sez too, always sad to see these come up.

Also sad for other LJ Hooker offices, as some, particularly inexperienced property vendors/investors etc may steer away from them altogether for fear of a similar issue arrising.

Must agree with Sez too, always sad to see these come up.

Particularly sad if you're the victim of this kind of thing.

We had one that went under. Personally we ended up out of pocket to the tune of over $10k. They were looking after, I think, five or six of our IPs at the time. We had one tenant who paid in cash & our statements showed no payments. A couple of dodgy tenants were installed without a bond (or maybe they did pay a bond, but it was not lodged). When they eventually got removed we were out of pocket the amounts of the bond, plus loss of rent, because we would have never approved the tenants if we had known the truth.

There were a few other things too, but I've tried to put this all behind me & can't remember the details.

This happened during an extremely bad time for us (things come in sets of three, or so they say) and nearly sent us to the wall. We know of many Landlords who didn't recover financially at the time. There was also a couple of instances of deposits that should have been deposited in the Trust, but weren't.

There is some kind of fund that will give compensation, should this kind of thing happen, however in our case, he was too clever & we didn't have the evidence, it was only 'word or mouth' as in the case of the missing rent, he didn't give the tenants receipts either. There was a young receptionist who remembered receiving the cash, but would not testify for fear of backlash.

Skater, sorry to hear of your loss. I was surprised to hear that you did not get reimbursed form the fund, but as you explained, and I never thought it that way, there was no paper trail to confirm the monies received by the agency. The up side is, that for those that did have a paper trail did get reimbursed, where as in other industries, when business's close, deposits etc on goods are lost. Kleenmaid being just one example. It will be interesting to hear, if we ever do, how the money was removed from the accounts.

I have used a Hamilton Newcastle branch of LJ's Hookers from a property owner and a renter and the service was appalling at best.

Back