land reclaim by the government

Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone of you have purchased in an area which is subsequently bought out by the council/government for purposes other than residential? (Like the movie "The Castle") If yes, do you tend to get a massive premium to the market value at the time?

a massive premium to the market value at the time?
I've never been involved in this, however I would not expect a massive premium. Somewhere beterrn fair market value and a generous valuation, but I dont think massive premium would normally apply.

If you buy today for $X, and the government compulsoraly acquires the property tomorrow one could reasonably say the value was $X.

Interesting topic though, anyone with real life experience?

TB

i would expect to at least get X + my buying costs

but generally speaking you should check if there are any plans for major infrastructure affecting your property before you buy it

you get the current englobo rate for your land, sometimes +5% if it's a recent acquisition or change to a structure plan.

if it's been on the title as "road widening" or the like when you bought it, then just basic englobo rate.

no, it's just a normal title. There was this speculation that the whole town could be rezoned to industrial area, so was curious if this happened. I really dun think it's likely to happen, as it's far too expensive to vacate the whole town (many properties are being sold for 600k+)

Most compulsory acquisitions that I have known of have been under selling price - govt stated market value, but its the market value of a compulsory acquisition.

I would not like to be in that situation. It looked like part of my land would go for road widening and the amount that was being offered was pitiful. Luckily the govt have changed their mind and now going for another street. :D

Chris

It's a problem

Most compulsory acquisitions that I have known of have been under selling price - govt stated market value, but its the market value of a compulsory acquisition.

I would not like to be in that situation. It looked like part of my land would go for road widening and the amount that was being offered was pitiful. Luckily the govt have changed their mind and now going for another street. :D

Chris

I'm afraid Chris is right here,

The castle isn't too far from the real world as far as prices go.

My father spent a couple of years running to and fro from the solicitors offices /court
RE: 10 acre lots that was aquired in Emerald Vic for the Cardinia Dam.
Eventually he got a better figure on his and several other property owners land but nowhere near the real value.....After the dam was built it was found they no longer need the property and he was asked to attend the auction should we want it back....the price had risen to over double the original value and was for sale at market price no discount or preferencial treatment for previous land owners.

So basically its in favour only for the local government.

I'm afraid Chris is right here,

The castle isn't too far from the real world as far as prices go.

My father spent a couple of years running to and fro from the solicitors offices /court
RE: 10 acre lots that was aquired in Emerald Vic for the Cardinia Dam.
Eventually he got a better figure on his and several other property owners land but nowhere near the real value.....After the dam was built it was found they no longer need the property and he was asked to attend the auction should we want it back....the price had risen to over double the original value and was for sale at market price no discount or preferencial treatment for previous land owners.

So basically its in favour only for the local government.

far out.. that's no good :( I would hope that a population of 20k is enough to cause a mini riot if this happens

Back