Land Vs Buildings

I was advised today that 'houses or buildings don't actually attract any capital growth - only the land upon which they rest does.'

Obviously there are going to be some exceptions to the rule here, but how does everyone feel about this as a statement?

Hi James,

This is some truth in this statement, but not necessarily always. One thing to consider though when investing is that houses attract an income through rent which helps offset you costs, whereas land only does not. So although it may be the land that may appreciate, you need the right building to make it a good investment!

Cheers

Hi James

I would say that was true for any building from 1950's on.

Some of the golden oldies in the right suburbs rise in value in MHO ;)

bundy

MHO?...Is there anywhere I can get a description of all the many TLA's (three letter acronyms) used on this site???

Feeling a tad ignorant!

Steve Navra makes the good point that buildings "seem" to rise in value because of inflation which increases the replacement cost of the building. A well maintained building will cost more to replace from year to year, so it is rising in value in principle, but it is not necessarily achieving "true" growth because its growth is not necessarily outstripping inflation.

Another issue is the emtional one.

If a peice of land has a nice house on it then the buyer may be willing to pay a premium for it because of an emtional attachment - "I can see my family living here" etc.

Not all buyers are investors who do there due dilligence.

Back