Large number of rental properties in Perth

Can anyone explain why we have so many rental properties available in Perth now?
This seems to be happening in the last 2 months or so.
Must be more than just government grant.
I wonder what other forces are in play?
12 months ago people are still talking about housing shortage.

mmm... not sure about that... i have been following the suburb i'm living in and properties for rent are snapped up pretty quickly... then again, i live near a university.

is there a particular suburb you are referring to?

Must be more than just government grant.
FHBs getting their own place will be one thing, yes.

I wonder what other forces are in play?
What about mines shutting down and mining companies laying off staff? Anecdotally I know of ppl returning from WA to come back to their home towns (and friends & family), now that the gravy train has slowed. Skilled immigration has been cut. New housing starts are down and on the news this morning 43,000 skilled workers, 2/3 of whom are tradies, are unemployed.

12 months ago people are still talking about housing shortage.
18 months ago, the world economies had decoupled from the USA, and hooked their wagons to China. So even if USA growth halted the rest of us were going to be fine :eek:

Does is mean rental prices are going down?
Actually, I think is quite obvious it will go down but by how much is the question.

i find there are more on the market, but it no way implies a glut.

how anyone can call a change from 1.1% vacancy rate to 1.55% (adjusted) a glut is beyond me.

there are more, but they're still being snapped up reasonably quickly. my friends had a home open from tenancy inspection and had 26 couples through and ran out of brochures (they only had 15 left).

Have had similar experience as kero and BC.
Lease on one property expires 26/5. One " home open " and new tennants are signed up for 12 months, starting 27/5.
I suspect the higher end properties may suffer a bit, but it's business as usual for all the bread n butter type housing.
I'll qualify this by adding the words "so far".:D

........comment from my PM in Adelaide:
"Properties to let on our books have trebled in 2009 due to FHOG buyers buying IP's and staying at home".....those naughty FHO's tsk tsk.....getting creative and such. :eek:

Save the politically correct crap: a "FHO" is a First Home Owner..... not @#$%^& Ho (whore) from a local gang!!! :rolleyes:

how anyone can call a change from 1.1% vacancy rate to 1.55% (adjusted) a glut is beyond me.

You don't expect the little 23 yr old renting journo student to write something like "Vacancy rate rises from 1.1% to 1.55% - no change to report here."

I can just imagine her very experienced 27 yr old renting sub-editor saying "No no no....if you write cr@p like that you'll never get a job. Here - try this....Massive 40% rise in vacancy rates - slump expected".

See Blue Card - she's all in the delivery. Gotta tart it up a bit. If ya get the facts wrong, dozznmatta. Just quote an industry source and say it was their words.

What's scary is that people actually read and rely on this stuff, and then paste a link for everyone else to read the dross as well. Meanwhile, the little girls just out of their 6 contact hrs per week Uni course, bereft of any property ownership experience whatsoever, are suddenly quotable gurus.

Back