LCD or Plasma

And there will always be something new just around the corner......
for what it's worth I would never be first cab off the rank for very new techie stuff - let others trial it first and work out the problems

2 things:

I was first off the rank with an (unlocked) iPhone, paid $1700 for it, which is about $1000 more than they go for now!

Secondly, my big TV is a 42" LCD from LG which I am very happy with... got it for about $2400 from JB Hifi a few months ago.

-Ian

My philosophy has always been: buy the second, third or fourth best or whatever on the market. NEVER buy the best. Then upgrade regularly.
Alex

My philosophy has always been: buy the second, third or fourth best or whatever on the market. NEVER buy the best. Then upgrade regularly.
Alex

That's perfect if you're trying to save money, but things aren't always about saving money.

For me, having an iPhone for an extra 3 months was worth the $1000 (my old piece of crap barely made phone calls and weighed more than my luggage), so I don't regret buying it 2 days after it was released.

But your rule is especially good for saving money on computer products, eg hard drives... it always seems to be the second biggest hard drive which is the best value.

That's perfect if you're trying to save money, but things aren't always about saving money.

For me, having an iPhone for an extra 3 months was worth the $1000 (my old piece of crap barely made phone calls and weighed more than my luggage), so I don't regret buying it 2 days after it was released.

But your rule is especially good for saving money on computer products, eg hard drives... it always seems to be the second biggest hard drive which is the best value.

I just think there is a middle ground with technology, especially. You can't tell me there isn't a middle ground between an iPhone and what you used before. I only use my phone for texting and phone calls, so I just get the simple versions. The one I have is just the 'you get this free when you sign up for 24 months' type. Does the job.

What I've found is that people either buy the best, spend too much money and don't have the money to upgrade, or keep buying the best and spend WAY too much money. While I'm buying the second or third best and keep upgrading (fairly cheaply each time). I realise, of course, that a 50 inch LCD is better than a 42 inch LCD. But is it so much better that it's worth paying top price for the 50 inch?

If you apply this 'I want the best because it's worth it' to everything, you end up having a lot less money, and for us investors, we'll do a lot better if we have more money early on to front-load the portfolio. Save a few hundred on a purchase here, $5 a day on coffee here, $10 a week on magazines here, and soon you're talking about enough for a deposit on another IP and enough to make the cashflow shortfall.

But that's just me. Nothing wrong with enjoying yourself with some nice technology every once in a while, but I've just never been a big gadget guy.
Alex

Back